Bannon Park Classic 2014

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Bannon Park Classic 2014

Post by Jeff Lisath »

The Bannon Park Classic has been for many years one of Southern Ohio's most popular events, with people from all over the Tri-State spending the weekend in historic Bannon Park in Portsmouth, Ohio. People from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia bring out the lawn chairs and tents to spend the weekend in the park enjoying the food, entertainment and some good hard fought basketball, over the 4th of July weekend. This year will be no different as once again two Champions will be crowned in this annual event. Last year's High School Division was won by the Portsmouth Trojans defeating Dayton Northridge in the Final, as Portsmouth advanced by beating Piketon and Marietta, while Northridge advance by beating Belpre and Warren. In the adult division Portsmouth City Cutz defeated Maysville, Kentucky in the Final. This years classic has broaden the High School Division by adding schools from West Virginia and Kentucky, while the adult division has expanded from 12 Teams to 16. This tournament is a 5 on 5 Full Court Double Elimination Tournament starting with the High School Division on Thursday evening July 3rd and the Championship Round on Saturday Morning July 5th. The Adult Division will start Saturday afternoon on July 5th and the Championship round on Sunday afternoon July 6th. For the first time in Classic history a Jr. High and possibly a Girls division will be added on July 4th. (TBA)

Bannon Park Classic participants (since 1979):
2 former State Championship Teams
4 High School Final 4 teams
200 All-Ohio high school basketball players
5 NCAA Division I Teams(Miami Ohio,
Xavier, Morehead State, Marshall, Kentucky
75 NCAA Division I players
88 NCAA Division II or III players
Several NAIA or Juco players
8 Professional Players

For brochure or more information email me at jefflisath@yahoo.com

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Bannon Park Classic 2014

Post by pfloyd »

… Coach Lisath, I always smile at the great success that the Bannon Park Classic has had over the years AND the quality teams you get to come down to the river for some outdoor hoops in the park … I also know the amount of time/effort/energy/resources that goes into pulling this off every summer as well - what a credit to YOUR love of the game and the Portsmouth area - I think after all of these years on the huddle & SEOPs I have earned a big enough reputation in Southern/Southeastern Ohio hoops to speak for ALL of us hoops fans/cheap seat guys - THANK YOU Coach for everything you do and have done … best of luck in putting on the SHOW CASE of teams again this coming summer …

pfloyd

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

pfloyd, Thanks I appreciate that! Much love for P-Town, as it shaped my life as a young man growing up in a community and a time (60's & 70's) where people looked out for each other and really cared about our future. The Classic has always been a part of giving back and bringing friends together to reminisce about our childhood and appreciate the tradition and the standard that was set for us a very long time ago.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I hope my Redstreaks return. We played tough last year...always a good time down by the river. We had a blast at the "Ribber" last year. :122245

Kyle Miller
Waterboy

Post by Kyle Miller »

Coach Lisath, when will you have confirmation in regards to the junior high division? I would also like to put my boys in the high school division once I speak with our AD.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Well, now that baseball is over for seohio, what is the status for this great event?

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Is this event still on? Have not seen anything being written.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Event is still on. July 5th and 6th...all day and night up to 11PM.
The deadline for teams are fast approaching (June 30th)
Shaping up to be another great weekend in the park.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Jeff, Thanks for the info update. I live in Arizona and was able to attend this event in 2012 and was very impressed with the quality of the games and
the fans had a great time, and the food was pretty good as well. Wish you all the best for the event. Go Trojans..btw,,not sure you knew Jim Cyrus, played
with Al and Larry on the 63 and 64 teams. at PHS, he passed a short time ago. He made Al and Larry look good,,,,lol
wipala

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Friday evening July 4th will kick off the Classic with a 5th and 6th grade tournament. If you have a team that wants to participate please send me a message ASAP.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

wipala wrote:Jeff, Thanks for the info update. I live in Arizona and was able to attend this event in 2012 and was very impressed with the quality of the games and
the fans had a great time, and the food was pretty good as well. Wish you all the best for the event. Go Trojans..btw,,not sure you knew Jim Cyrus, played
with Al and Larry on the 63 and 64 teams. at PHS, he passed a short time ago. He made Al and Larry look good,,,,lol
wipala

Sorry, to hear about the passing of Jim Cyrus....Al and Larry had to be a quite a duo to work with. I appreciate the well wishes for the Classic.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Looking to be a GREAT weekend of basketball!! Some real interesting matchups, to say the least...

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Any updated, results?

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jr. High Division Champs: Ohio Valley Hidden Gems (Warren)
High School Division Champs: Dayton Northridge
Adult Division Champs: Portsmouth Self Made

MVP (High School) Drew Olgletree (Dayton Northridge)
MVP (Adult) Trevor Setty (Medical Life) Randle Pennington (Self Made)

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Thanks for the updates. How did the local teams fare?

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Local teams did well. Portsmouth Trojans were the H.S division runners-up. Portsmouth Team won the Adult division and the Jr. High Portsmouth team (KBA All-Stars) got 3rd place.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

thank you for the updates,,,have a great year with your team this year....

Return to “Boys Basketball”