Lucasville Valley vs. Columbus Ready - Regional Championship

knightruner
JV Team

Re: Lucasville Valley vs. Columbus Ready - Regional Champion

Post by knightruner »

Well Valley ran out of luck tonight against a very good team. So it looks like we only had one team from the Southeast make it to the finial four and that would be Fairland Girls team out of the OVC am I right or am I missing someone?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

knightruner wrote:Well Valley ran out of luck tonight against a very good team. So it looks like we only had one team from the Southeast make it to the finial four and that would be Fairland Girls team out of the OVC am I right or am I missing someone?

Eastern Meigs girls ....D4 state champions

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

danicalifornia wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:Ohsaa is wrong if they only have Portsmouth with 2 state titles they have 4
I was just throwing teams that have choked in at least the past 7-8 years in D3 from here. Obviously, my teams I posted haven't got it done lol
I was responding to burgrads post saying oshaa only had Portsmouth with two state titles,I actually did not see your post,sorry

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Great season for valley,and a great 4 years for this group of seniors,they have accomplished a lot in their high school careers that very few kids will experience

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

danicalifornia wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:Ohsaa is wrong if they only have Portsmouth with 2 state titles they have 4
I was just throwing teams that have choked in at least the past 7-8 years in D3 from here. Obviously, my teams I posted haven't got it done lol
Hard to use the word choke in games of this level of play, all these teams are quality.

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

VERY proud of our boys at Valley! I cannot believe the High school experience this group of seniors has had!! My H.S. experience was NOTHING like theirs. They have NOTHING to hang their heads about. They met a VERY good defensive team in Ready that did a great job of taking our boys out of their game. They were physical and aggressive and the refs let them play that way. GREAT job Ready. I am proud that when our Indians could have just folded they fought back and I believe they had Ready a bit scared going into the fourth. Great job to the coaches, players, and community. It has been a lot of fun to watch this group. Good luck Ready (I believe you might need to get some offense together or it could be a long night in the next game).

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

very surprising game last night, as i set there that definitely looked like football not basketball

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

That was my mistake. I knew they had four and I don't know why I put down two.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Great season by the Valley Indians.........losing in the regional final does not put a damper on their season........24 wins, a school record, SOC champions, district champions, and Elite 8 finalist. There's a lot to be proud of for the Purple and Gold!!

Ready's sticky defense gave the Indians trouble, still Valley was in the game despite the offensive struggle. Coach Rolfe's full court press in the second half breathed life into the Indians, creating some turnovers by Ready. Down 21-16 late in the 3rd quarter, Valley came up empty on about 5 straight possessions which could have turned the game completely around.

Congratulations to the Valley Indians on a great season!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Just to set the record straight.........Portsmouth has 15 state appearances, 11 Final 4's, and the Trojans record in the last 9 state semifinal games is an outstanding 8-1. PHS is 4-4 in state championship games. Portsmouth is a very good 12-7 all-time in Final 4 games.

No school with at least 5-6 appearances in the state wins the state title every time they make it there. Canton McKinley has made 28 trips to the state, which is the all-time record (Portsmouth is second with 15), yet they did not win the state title until their 20th trip. Despite this, I believe McKinley is the greatest program of all-time in Ohio. Locally, Wheelersburg has made 6 trips to the Final 4, starting in 1982, yet have not won a state title.......but that doesn't diminish the fact that the Pirates have had a great basketball program over the last 40 years.

Since the OHSAA started the 4 division system in 1988, no D3 SE district team has won the state title. Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, Piketon, Chesapeake, Ironton, Unioto, Southeastern Ross, and Eastern Brown have all reached the Final 4 in D3 yet have not brought back the state championship trophy.

It's tough to reach the state tournament, let alone win a state title. SE District teams have actually fared well over the last decade, with 3 state titles (D2 Chillicothe, D4 Oak Hill and South Webster) and 2 state runnerups ( D3 Portsmouth and Ironton). This year, though, ended a streak dating back to 2003 in which a boys SE district team made the state tournament.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
That was my mistake. I knew they had four and I don't know why I put down two.
I just assumed ohsaa had it listed wrong I was not calling anyone out

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GREAT SEASON VALLEY INDIANS

Jankage11
Waterboy

Post by Jankage11 »

Great season Indians, nothing to be ashamed of, a lot of teams would've killed to be in the position you were in. But on another note are any of these kids playing in college? I thought I heard West and Dunn were, but does anyone know anything about Flowers? He definitely is good enough to play somewhere, his size may be the only limiting factor, but he was the best all-around player on this team so id be shocked if he doesn't get looked at by somewhere, unless the coaches just haven't got his name out and about. Either way great great season by this team!

oldschoolcorner7
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolcorner7 »

Jankage11 wrote:Great season Indians, nothing to be ashamed of, a lot of teams would've killed to be in the position you were in. But on another note are any of these kids playing in college? I thought I heard West and Dunn were, but does anyone know anything about Flowers? He definitely is good enough to play somewhere, his size may be the only limiting factor, but he was the best all-around player on this team so id be shocked if he doesn't get looked at by somewhere, unless the coaches just haven't got his name out and about. Either way great great season by this team!
Jankage, To my understanding SEVERAL of these boys (Seniors) have gotten looks and offers to play ball at the next level. SOME in football. I believe Dunn has committed to Ohio Christian and I am not sure Where west is going. I believe Flowers and Shope have both been given offers but they are possibly looking to attend bigger schools for there education (really I am speculating on this from what I have been hearing from others). The Millers (my sons) have been given a few offers to play football in D-3 and D-2. Kyle wants to stay close to home (Shawnee) and just get a "cheaper" education. (he is a home body). Caleb is going to Ohio University and thinks he will try to walk on for football there.
MANY of this senior group could play next level but I believe a couple of them are more concerned with class load (Pharmacy, Nursing Prac, etc..) than playing on. I guess I don't blame them. You know as well as I that what we do to our bodies when we are younger we DEFINITELY pay for when we get older!!

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Congrats Valley on your elite 8 season and conference title! Very impressive year!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

ohiostbucks99 wrote:very surprising game last night, as i set there that definitely looked like football not basketball
That is the style that Ready plays and they are quite good at it. As I said early on in this thread, the way to beat them is to get out to an early lead and make them play from behind.....much easier said than done. If you let them get a lead, you have your work cut out for you because of their physical play and strong defense. Ready will have their work cut out for them against VASJ, but if they can get the early lead, who knows.

Great season by Valley. This group has accomplished a lot during their time at Valley. As a Burg fan, I will be happy to see a new roster for the Indians next year, but this group of seniors will be remembered for sure.

Return to “Boys Basketball”