Peebles vs. Africentric Regional Semi 3/11

jchitwood
All State

Re: Peebles vs. Africentric Regional Semi 3/11

Post by jchitwood »

r1master wrote:Africentric has over 1000 students?? No, they don't ... Trust me, I want the Indians to win just as bad as you do, but don't try to discredit Africentric or say it's unfair
You know as well as I do that they recruit from all over Columbus, a metropolitan area of 800,000. I'm not discrediting anything, Africentric has some very good D1 players, and I'm sure they all want to win.

But yes, it is unfair. Not just for us, but for any team that has suddenly had to face a recruiting school in the tournament. Last time I checked, the reason we have 4 divisions and not a single catch-all tournament is so smaller schools with a smaller talent pool to draw from can have a tournament that is competitive. Splitting into divisions was supposed to level the playing field, and sadly it hasn't.

I am so, so proud of the kids on this team, and of the kids playing for Aficentric. I'm not just complaining about this because my hometown is playing Africentric; I have been complaining about this issue for YEARS--check my old posts.

Now, I have no idea how to fix it--this is ground that is well covered previously in this topic. However, I will continue to refer to pay Africentric the compliment of "D1." I'm so excited and proud of our team, for getting to the regionals (and fighting two VERY good teams to get there, regardless of their regular season record).

From the sound of it, we're playing hard and leaving it all on the floor. That's all you can ask, Roll Tribe.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Harrison to the line. Makes both 55-38.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

2 mins to go.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Seniors coming in with a minute to go. The Nubians are going to take this one.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

The Peebles seniors and bench players are going in....I'm glad these kids get to be on the floor in the Regionals...they've worked hard all year, couldn't be more proud. We hit a D1 buzz saw, but we're young and we'll be back.

Way to go Indians.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

57-40 final. Good season Peebles. I don't think anyone expected this team to win 22 games and a district title. We only graduate one of our top 9 or 10 players and are bringing up some very good JV players so we should be even better in the years to come. Lets get back here and pay them back next season!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

how many did justice end up with?

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

sparky wrote:how many did justice end up with?
14. 4-4 from the stripe. Pretty impressive, given the coverage on him all night.

r1master
Riding the Bench

Post by r1master »

JCHITWOOD ....I do appreciate your thorough justification, and yes I do agree that metropolitan areas do have many distinct advantages over rural schools ...but as a former employee of Cincinnati Public Schools, I can ASSURE you that the Division 3 and 4 "specialized, selective schools" that were part of our district (Riverview East, Clark Montessori, Shroder. etc.) had ABSOLUTELY no control over what ATHLETES were enrolled at our campus. That, my friend, is another one of those "myths" or "excuses" that the rural public schools like to use to justify getting beat.

I am an SHL grad and a HUGE Peebles fan, like you I am EXTREMELY proud of both Peebles and Leesburg. Making it to the Regionals is the REAL DEAL, Sweet Sixteen in the state, that is impressive.....PERIOD

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Loved listening to the coach's comment show on C103. Peebles has a lot to look forward to moving forward. Coach Arey has done a great job with our guys and I am excited to see how we improve over the summer. A 73-20 record and 2 district coach of the year awards in 4 seasons as a head coach is nothing to sneeze at. Also, I am PUMPED to hear we have a school like Summit Country Day on the schedule next year.

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

Nice run by the indians...i figured theyd try to shut justice down and seems they did the job...the argument bout d-1 stuff is absurd...look back few years ago when manchester played harvest prep in regional final u didnt see them complaining bout playin a team that was basically like wat u call a d-1 team...they played em and had em beat but lost and they didnt complain knowin they was playin a team like that...thats the way its setup and until somethin is changed u just have to roll with it..congrats to the indians on a good playoff run

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

How well did the Nubians and Harvest Prep travel tonight? Usually these kind of teams don't have much of a following, especially on a week night....

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Harvest used to be notoriously awful when it came to their travel, but they've had a lot more fans come out to their sporting events, home and away. You may see a few more Friday night, but I know A-High isn't a program full of world travelers.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

4th n Goal wrote:How well did the Nubians and Harvest Prep travel tonight? Usually these kind of teams don't have much of a following, especially on a week night....
Radio broadcast said both schools barely had 100 fans each.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indian man
Riding the Bench

Post by Indian man »

When Afrocentric took the floor there was 5 fans clapping. A little later their was about 30 sitting in the student section and that was it. Harvest prep had a few more fans than they did.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

Great season Indians

Chieftan
Riding the Bench

Post by Chieftan »

Proud of the Indians....they played their guts out. Great defense but couldn't get the offense rolling.

Okay, don't jump down my throat but it is glaringly obvious to the most novice basketball fan that this is not a level playing field. Africentric has three D-1 prospects and a D-2 prospect in their starting five. Info from the web:

Jaquan Harrison (6'4): Arguably Central Ohio's best athlete, getting D-1 offers.
Ulmer Manzie (6'8) Going along with Harrison to visits at Cleveland State, Dayton and Indiana State in recent months, getting D-1 offers
Akil Cornish (6'1): Returning as Central Ohio's top three-point shooter, leading the area in three-point shooting as a junior, Cornish is D-II prospect in Central Ohio.
Houston Smith (6'4): Another talented sophomore in a seemingly endless talent pool in Central Ohio, Smith is undoubtedly the best athlete out of all. Smith is a D-1 prospect
Shawon Wilson (6'2): Transferring from City-League South rival Marion-Franklin, While transfer rules prohibit Wilson from participating in the Nubians' first 11 games, the junior will finally hit the hardwood in early January.
Chase Brown (5'10): Another transfer guard, the flashy Brown comes in from Columbus' Whetstone High School. Also forced to sit out the Nubians' first 11 games due to the transfer, look for Brown and Wilson to add experienced guard play that will help Africentric's chances in winning the South division for the second consecutive season.

Really? No doubt it will, they lost their first few games till fortunately their lottery winners became eligible and they were beating D4 teams by 30 and 40 points.

The doubt about their legimacy as a team creeps in because both Harvest Prep and Africentric have been fined for recruiting. Prep was banned from post-season play for recruiting, changing grades and eligibility violations till 2013-14. Penalites included revoking all 2011 season wins and the state runner-up, district and sectional titles all revoked. By cheating it cost schools like Manchester and South Webster the opportunity to advance.

In 2005 Harvest Prep's coach was the coach at Africentric where their state title was revoked due to recruiting and other violations of the bylaws.

In 2013 Africentric was fined $1200 for recruiting in girls basketball.

I could go on and on... anyone who thinks these schools do not recruit for athletic ability is fooling themselves...just the luck of the draw? lottery shmottery!

The Peebles boys were not transferred in from neighboring towns to stack the team to ensure a long post-season run...no they are all born and bread in our small town and made it to the Regional Semi-finals through hard work and determination.

Its really isn't sour grapes, tho it may sound like it but if they had lost to a team like South Gallia, or Trimble it would be a respectable and honorable loss. I hope that a legit D4 public school picks them off but the odds are not in their favor.

Sorry for the long diatribe. JMO They won, its over.

Peebles Proud

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Public school and parents are too proud and will continue to lose, if they want to WIN the Final all they have to do is send the best players from surrounding schools to one school. Its extreme, but that's what it would take with the rules of modern basketball OHSAA foolishness. Go for it, parents say things like that every year but do nothing. Great season for the public school.

59Indian
Waterboy

Post by 59Indian »

OHSAA supposedly is calling for a vote on "competitive balance" in May again. Suggest they should assign 1 of the 4 divisions for private schools & put all the privates in that one regardless of size. They could recruit to their heart's content but could only win that divisions trophy . The other 3 div could be split for the public schools according to size. Regular season games could be scheduled as they are now. State tourney could still be the 4 divisions. Private schools would whine about it being unfair but would give them a taste of their own medicine.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

59Indian wrote:OHSAA supposedly is calling for a vote on "competitive balance" in May again. Suggest they should assign 1 of the 4 divisions for private schools & put all the privates in that one regardless of size. They could recruit to their heart's content but could only win that divisions trophy . The other 3 div could be split for the public schools according to size. Regular season games could be scheduled as they are now. State tourney could still be the 4 divisions. Private schools would whine about it being unfair but would give them a taste of their own medicine.
They would leave the OHSAA instead of going to that separate division and the OHSAA would lose a lot of money from that, so we won't ever see them have their own division.

And Africentric would still be in Peebles division since they are a public school.

Return to “Boys Basketball”