DII LOGAN SECTIONAL RESULTS

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: DII LOGAN SECTIONAL RESULTS

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens played just as tough of schedule as Warren - maybe tougher actually - buckhunter ... I'm sure there goals are the same as the Warriors.

You must not have picked up on my sarcastic tone in my previous posts.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The top 8 teams on Athens schedule:

1. Akron SVSM ... 67-57 L
2. Bishop Eustace, N.J. ... 62-56 L (OT)
3. Propel, Penn ... 77-76 W
4. Logan Elm ... 60-59 L
5. Valley ... 77-71 W (2OT)
6. Shawnee N.J. ... 68-60 W
7. North Miami, FL ... 61-42 W
8. Circleville ... 62-43 W

I'd say they are prepared to play Marietta - and then hopefully Warren ... ;)

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:The top 8 teams on Athens schedule:

1. Akron SVSM ... 67-57 L
2. Bishop Eustace, N.J. ... 62-56 L (OT)
3. Propel, Penn ... 77-76 W
4. Logan Elm ... 60-59 L
5. Valley ... 77-71 W (2OT)
6. Shawnee N.J. ... 68-60 W
7. North Miami, FL ... 61-42 W
8. Circleville ... 62-43 W

I'd say they are prepared to play Marietta - and then hopefully Warren ... ;)
Just out of curiosity Dog.. had Athens and Warren played, where would you place them on this list?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Good question. I think Propel was a lot like Portsmouth - very fast, very athletic. I'm guessing Warren could maybe beat them, but could very well lose to them just like they did Portsmouth earlier in the year.

I didn't see Eustace, but was told by coach Skinner and others who were in Florida that they were a lot like ASVSM - maybe not as good at St. V - but a lot like them.

I don't know, I guess I would put Warren #3.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

So Athens should get a lot of cred for playing at the Florida tournament, but LE shouldn't get any? LE played three quality opponents there and beat two of them. Warren didn't go to Florida. That should negate the Park SOS schedule advantage, so it comes down to Watterson and LE still had a two-game advantage in loss column over Warren. If you want to give LE another loss for Watterson, LE still has one less loss. Case closed, LE is the No. 1.

Of all the non-league opponents LE played, only had one with a record that was below .500 - Westfall - which Is a county rivalry. I believe both Athens and Warren played or were scheduled to play New Lexington. Also did Athens play Jackson?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You're right ... case closed ... I'm guessing Logan Elm may see either Warren or Athens at the Convo ... we can revisit the conversation then ... :)

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:You're right ... case closed ... I'm guessing Logan Elm may see either Warren or Athens at the Convo ... we can revisit the conversation then ... :)
Not if VC or Sheridan have any say about it! :)

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Although scheduling up cost Warren and Athens the #1 seed, it was still the right decision as the competition level will propel the winner to the Regional....Warren/Athens winner vs LE in District Final = Warren or Athens going to Regional! I hope it's Warren--Athens will get their glory next year! ;-)

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Vinton County and Sheridan neither one is as good as last year....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

warriorfrosh wrote:Although scheduling up cost Warren and Athens the #1 seed, it was still the right decision as the competition level will propel the winner to the Regional....Warren/Athens winner vs LE in District Final.
I wouldn't go that far just yet ... LE will have its hands full (if they get out of Logan) against Unioto (17-3) and or Minford (15-2). Minford's big man, Jared McCray, is going to be tough to guard for ANY of the DII teams let alone one that doesn't have a true post player. As for Athens, they need to worry about a (9-9) Marietta team that competes in the ECOL all season - it's not a given they will even see Warren.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

A lesson can be learned from this experience. This is for when you are coaching in a big game against a team in your sectional, one which you might be in a battle for seeding in the tournament draw. Don't spend the last few minutes of a tight game screaming at the officials while the opposing coach is coaching up his players. Just a thought. ;-)

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:A lesson can be learned from this experience. This is for when you are coaching in a big game against a team in your sectional, one which you might be in a battle for seeding in the tournament draw. Don't spend the last few minutes of a tight game screaming at the officials while the opposing coach is coaching up his players. Just a thought. ;-)
I am editing this post, because, I believe and was brought to my attention, this may be a "personal shot" at a long time friend. My response was in no way to pile on or belittle said friend. I thought at first glance, it was a casual observation, maybe, Motivator was alluding to someone and I want no part of that. And if I have offended my friend, I sincerely apologize.

However, doggie can bite me. :lol:
Last edited by hawkeyepierce on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:A lesson can be learned from this experience. This is for when you are coaching in a big game against a team in your sectional, one which you might be in a battle for seeding in the tournament draw. Don't spend the last few minutes of a tight game screaming at the officials while the opposing coach is coaching up his players. Just a thought. ;-)
There was a lot going on in that game - and with the refs - than meets the eye.

Personal issues, previous comments, previous actions - not to mention perceived friendship between officials and opposing team's assistant coach ... I mean, whether that had any influence into how the game was officiated is pure speculation - but there seemed to be too many 'outside factors' (real or not) to even allow THAT crew, to officiate THAT game, that night.

Did it have an impact on certain calls or how the game was handled by the officials? Who knows. But did it have an impact or change the way one coach was thinking and feeling throughout the game? Yea, maybe. Which leads me back to your comment MOTIVATOR, a lot was going in that game than you may realize or know about.

The bottom line is: the actions which took place (comments published in the newspaper) after the Warren game at McAfee last year should have (for awhile at least) kept that crew from working any Athens games. You can't have any perceived animosity between officials & a coach sharing the same court - its just not fair to anyone (especially the players).
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I thought Athens deserved the 2 seed...They played tough competition, but a head to head loss against LE (all excuses aside..football season, one point, etc.) knocks them off the top spot. Athens can schedule down next year, but if they go 19-1 and their one loss is to another team in their sectional that is 19-1, they're going to be seeded lower than them. Warren's schedule didn't hurt them..The only loss people care about is that loss to Portsmouth..That was a devastating loss for Warren. Logan Elm is as fundamentally sound as they come. I think they deserved the one seed this year. Sorry 'Dog...Hope I can still come on your show and talk Reds baseball!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hawkeyepierce wrote:However, doggie can bite me. :lol:
Say what?

Man, I swear, everyone loves to kick the dog around ... someone should contact PETA with all the abuse he takes.

:-)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

baseballstud24 wrote:The only loss people care about is that loss to Portsmouth..That was a devastating loss for Warren!
Devastating loss? Portsmouth is (a) one of the best teams in the southeast district - and Warren actually avenged the loss the 2nd time around. (b) Logan Elm's loss this year was to Liberty Christian by 15 points, which Portsmouth turned around and beat the very next day. Obviously the Trojans are a little better than what you are giving them credit for.

Go back to working on your Reds baseball blog - this here is a 'basketball discussion.'

LOL

Scotty Hobart
Riding the Bench

Post by Scotty Hobart »

93Bulldog wrote:
There was a lot going on in that game - and with the refs - than meets the eye.

Personal issues, previous comments, previous actions - not to mention perceived friendship between officials and opposing team's assistant coach ... I mean, whether that had any influence into how the game was officiated is pure speculation - but there seemed to be too many 'outside factors' (real or not) to even allow THAT crew, to officiate THAT game, that night.

Did it have an impact on certain calls or how the game was handled by the officials? Who knows. But did it have an impact or change the way one coach was thinking and feeling throughout the game? Yea, maybe. Which leads me back to your comment MOTIVATOR, a lot was going in that game than you may realize or know about.

The bottom line is: the actions which took place (comments published in the newspaper) after the Warren game at McAfee last year should have (for awhile at least) kept that crew from working any Athens games. You can't have any perceived animosity between officials & a coach sharing the same court - its just not fair to anyone (especially the players).
Yea, and it was those danged Glouster refs again. :lol: Athens just can't win when those danged Glouster refs are reffing. :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't think my post says anywhere that Athens can't win with certain refs.

It says if there is history or animosity (by either party - the coach or crew of officials) then just use different refs.

Its not that complicated really.

I'm not saying its anyone's fault, I'm not blaming anyone - but to avoid any controversy what so ever - then just use a different crew. There are plenty of games, plenty of officials, it's not like either party would suffer from such a decision.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Jjhuddle d2 power poll
Athens 10th
Logan elm 18th
Warren 23rd

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Jjhuddle d2 power poll
Athens 10th
Logan elm 18th
Warren 23rd
The others receiving votes are in alphabetical order.

Return to “Boys Basketball”