Athens (13-3) at Warren (13-3) - CANCELLED

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Re: Athens (11-3) at Warren (11-3) - Feb. 3rd - POLL

Post by SOHSP »

93Bulldog wrote:
theplainsbulldog wrote:I can't believe some weather forecasts are now starting to say there could be several inches of snow Sunday night into Monday in Southern Ohio! I can't even think about another postponement - or worse yet - cancellation!

Maybe Warren/Athens isn't meant to be played until the tournament - could you imagine the suspense/buildup if that were to happen?

Or if they didn't get to play at all this year - even tournament time. Oh my, we would have to wait until next year to finally get a chance to beat the Warriors. :(
They are calling for mild temps and rain ...

I think we are a 'GO' for Monday!
@WSAZJoshFitz: WINTER STORM WATCH for much of the region Sunday night/Monday morning for wet #snow accumulation. Details at 6 on #WSAZ! #ohwx #kywx #wvwx

I sure hope it stays warm enough to not cause a problem for the roads!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Next!!!! The Warriors reel off their 8th straight win to improve to 13-3 on the year. Athens rolls into the Warrior Dome with the same sparkling 13-3 record. Everything is about as even as you can get. Both teams well coached. Both teams talented and then some. Both teams will give great defensive effort. Both teams have great fan support!! When it comes to HS basketball that's as good as it gets. Ought to be nice, hot and crowded Monday night. Just like 93Dog likes it.

LETS GO BIG BAD BLUE!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I need to change the header I guess ... 13-3 vs 13-3!

If you honestly gave me the choice between watching the super bowl on T.V. or going to the Athens/Warren game - it wouldn't even be a hard decision.

:mrgreen:

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Agreed! Let the countdown begin!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WarriorBlue wrote:Agreed! Let the countdown begin!
About 42 hours and we'll be on the road to Vincent ... LOL

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Re: Athens (13-3) at Warren (13-3) - Feb. 3rd - POLL

Post by WarriorBlue »

Warren will have to find a way to crack that tuff Athens zone to win this game. Isolate players in space and make them defend without much help. I think Warren has to push the ball and score in transition. Running the offense but picking their spots. I think they have to keep one of the role players like Saltzman especially but also Ryan Luerman and Griffen Lutz from having a big game. Saltzman can hurt you with the 3 ball but he can destroy defenses off the dribble finishing plays around the rim. Ryan Luerman can hurt you inside but can step out and consistanly hit that 12-15 jumper. Warren can't let any of those guys have a career night.
Last night vs FCA Steven Carpenter got 35 but the remaining Knights team wa held to 30 points. Warren must do a good job limiting those players while at the same time trying to keep the lid on 2 boiling pots in Watson & Borrows. A defensive battle favors the Warriors.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Power 105
All Conference

Post by Power 105 »

The game can be heard on 970 WATH, 97.1 FM and 970wath.com as well as the free 970 WATH app.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If the game Monday is as close as many anticipate - the one single area this Bulldogs team has yet to master is 'clock management' and understanding the situation they are in. And it's understandable given they are such a young team growing with every game. The 'mental' aspect of basketball is usually the last component to be learned by many good teams at this level. Last Friday versus Vinton County the Bulldogs owned a 12 or 14 point lead with about 4:00 minutes left on the clock - and three straight trips down the floor they made one quick pass and put up an ill advised shot. One being a long 3-pointer from the wing. The Vikings grabbed all three rebounds (missed shots), went down the floor and converted, cutting the lead down to 10 in about a minute and a half.

Great teams, experienced teams would have worked the ball around - drained clock - until the 14-point lead was safe. They would have never given VC a chance to even make a run. At the very least, they would get into their offense and work for a 'good shot', rather than putting up 3 quick shots. These are things Athens will have to get better at, because a team like Warren (or a team in the tournament) at the drop of a hat can erase a 10-point deficit. Even Peyton Manning, the greatest QB on the planet running the greatest offense in NFL history, will run it three straight times and punt if he has a two touchdown lead late in the game. Clock IS MORE IMPORANT than points sometimes.

I have watched this Bulldogs team improve in just about every area possible over the last two years - once they get that part down - they will be extremely tough to deal with.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Just looked at the forecast and it has it snowing until around 7 am, plenty of time to get the roads clean and the game on!

Go Blue!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We're holding steady at 40 degrees ... so long as we stay above 32 - it may just rain.

So much for me camping out in Vincent tonight - I hate getting wet ... I'll just have to drive down early with the rest of 'Bulldog Nation' tomorrow!

GO 'DOGS!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

tick...tick ... tick ... tick ... drip ........... drip ............. drip ............ how can time move soooooooooooooo slow !!!! my napkin stat sheet has been filled out for it seems like weeks!!!! okay, never mind ....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:tick...tick ... tick ... tick ... drip ........... drip ............. drip ............ how can time move soooooooooooooo slow !!!! my napkin stat sheet has been filled out for it seems like weeks!!!! okay, never mind ....

Good idea, I need to fill my scorers book out ... you have Warren starters (with numbers) and key reserves, Floyd?

lol

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Look out fans...It's already snowing in Washington County.
Forecast calling for 2-5" by morning. Hope the sun shines tomorrow.
darn that groundhog. :evil:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren lineup ...

Aaron Mazurkiewicz (22)
Mike Hall (23)
Evan French (25)
Andrew Drayer (32)
Reece Patton (34)

Marshall Church (31)
Blake Kidder (33)
Kyler Dennis (3)
Andrew Henthorn (15)
Colin Welch (24)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

rickoshay wrote:Look out fans...It's already snowing in Washington County.
Forecast calling for 2-5" by morning. Hope the sun shines tomorrow.
darn that groundhog. :evil:
Getting in the truck now ... shotgun is locked and loaded and I'm heading to Punxsutawney!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Snowing up in Washington County

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Bowl is terrible ... it's snowing outside ... this night couldn't get any worse ...

:(

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren on a two hour delay but not canceled. There is still a chance for a Monday game!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

they probably wont play this game ....any one want to give me their ticket? :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I highly doubt they will play. Won't stop till noon and up to 8" in Athens. Sounds like god doesn't want this played till the tournament. Big question, who gets the higher seed? Lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”