Beasts of the Southeast - Chesapeake HS Jan 11th

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Re: Beasts of the Southeast - Chesapeake HS Jan 11th

Post by Dr_Know »

Coop, in response to an earlier post. A technical can be issued if there is an intentional attempt to deceive the officials. I don't know that there was

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Dr_Know wrote:Coop, in response to an earlier post. A technical can be issued if there is an intentional attempt to deceive the officials. I don't know that there was
No one can say for sure, I'm just saying a player knows if he was fouled or not, especially a shooting foul. I don't see how they could forget within minutes.

It was a big confusion, so I'm just gonna chalk it up to that and move on. Valley played well and showed they could play with the best in the area!

Time to move on and get ready for the next one!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 77
Lucasville Valley 71 final 2 OTs

... the jumbled "technical/who should shoot/who did shoot play" is the "WHAT" that sticks in peoples minds after the game - sadly ... there WAS an outstanding game between 2 outstanding TEAMS that took place for 4 quarters, 1 OT and 2:30 into the 2nd OT BEFORE the "FT issue" ... both teams came into the game Saturday having played demanding games Friday night - Valley AT Minford and Athens AT Akron SVSM ... both are key teams in their respective divisions in SEO to be "players at the Convo" ... Valley - D3 and Athens D2 ... Quarter Breaks showed >>> Athens 20 Valley 13 end of one ... Athens 39 Valley 28 intermission ... Athens 50 Valley 43 after three ... Athens 59 Valley 59 after 4 quarters of regulation play ... Chris Flowers throws in a 3 pointer at the end of OT #1 to send the game into the second OT... the turning point of the game occurred late in the first OT when Valley's presence in the paint - Hayden Dunn - picked up his 5th foul - advantage Bulldogs - Athens 67 Valley 67 end of OT #1 ... in the 2nd overtime without Dunn keeping Athens out of the paint Zacchia Saltzman was able to get into the paint on 2 straight possessions for 5 points, add the 3/4 at the line by Burrow on "THE POSSESSION - with issues" and Athens gutted out a hard fought vs an excellent Lucasville Valley team ... Athens 77 Valley 71 double OT ...

Pfloyd Official "unoffficial" Napkin Stats - Valley

Scoring ... Jordan West 21, Chris Flowers 20, Hayden Dunn 19, Bryan Rolfe 4, Ryan Brown 4, Ethan Holbrook 3
3 pointers ... 7/18 ... West 4, Flower 3
FTs ... 17/24
TOs ... 17

... Jordan West, Chris Flowers had outstanding games for the Indians ... West was selected as the Valley MVP ... I would like to make special mention of the game that Hayden Dunn played in the paint for Valley ... Dunn is one of the hardest working players in the paint I have seen in high school hoops ... I would take a game video of this young man and make sure MY big men in the paint watched it/learned how to play in the paint, learned how it is supposed to be done on the the boards, from boxing out to using the body to get position ... outstanding inside presence for the Indians with the competitive attitude to go with it ... he came out of the locker room with a box of pizza in hand, sat down by himself , you could see the "loss" on his face - I told him he played an outstanding game , told him he could play on my team any day of the week - because he can play vs anyone ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Joe Burrow 25, Ibi Watson 18, Ryan Leuhrman 15, Zacchia Saltzman 8, Griffin Lutz 6, Adam Leuhrman 4
3 Pointers ... 7/27 ... Burrow 5, Watson 3
FTs ... 15/24
TOs ... 22

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coal Grove 51
Eastern Brown 43

... The first time I have had an opportunity to see Coal Grove - ever ... not disappointed ! the Hornets for Coach Lucas are a nice ball club, athletic, quick with some good size as well ... I can see them being in the thick of the OVC battle or at least helping to determine who will win that league on the river ... CGHS going 1-2 vs the league leaders beating Fairland Friday night , with losses to both Chesapeake and South Point ... the 2nd half of the league games will tell the story - will it remain where CG can't quite get over the hump vs the top OVC teams or will they finally beat Chesapeake and/or South Point ??? ... Coal Grove got it done Saturday vs a very good Eastern Brown program winning 51-43 Hornets a final ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Eastern Brown

Scoring ... Nathan Scott 21, Curtis Burns 9, Riley Prine 8, Mickey Hundley 4, Jonathan Stivers 1
3 Pointers ... 4/18 ... Burns 3, Scott 1
FTs ... 3/4 ...ALL in the first half ...
TOs ... 15

... taking nothing away from Coal Groves win over a quality opponent but Coach Beucler's Warriors looked like they had been on a bus for 2 and half hours getting to Chesapeake after playing on the road Friday night at Fayetteville ... shots for EB were just a little off the whole game, defensively the Warriors were a step slow - but they did defensively hold CG to 51 points ... offensively the outside shots (1st half particularly just weren't find the mark ... had Coal Grove made more than 11/25 FTs in the 4th quarter this one would have been much worse on the scoreboard ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Coal Grove

Scoring ... Conner Markins 21 , DJ Miller 8, Sean Paulus 7, Branston Adkins 6, Joe Akers 6, Austin Pleasants 2, Isaiah Gunther 1
3 Pointers ... 5/15 ... Miller 2, Markins 2, Paulus 1
FTs ... 16/34 ...
TOs ... 13

... enjoyed seeing the Hornets, as I said - some quality athletes Markins, the lefty guard DJ Miller ... going to be interesting to see how this quality "W" over EB translates into the upcoming game going into round 2 of the OVC ...

Rekans1
Waterboy

Post by Rekans1 »

Clevelandbrowns#1 that technical was classic you... You messed up on the opposite end on rolfes and 1. So you go to the other end and call a T. Yes you're right you and the player know exactly what was said. Along with several very reliable sources sitting very close to the play. But if you can sleep at night that's up to you. These games are played for the kids, they are not for you to let everyone know you're out there. I have had brothers play very recently and they have told me some things that you have said on the court. That should be deserving of something stronger than a "T". I think you're ego gets in the way of you calling a good game. You hold grudges for whatever reason and that's not fair to the kids. I personally think you are a joke on and off the court. if I was a parent of one of those kids that you try to take the "spotlight" from you would have some serious issues. Just please from here on out realize that these games aren't meant for you and your other egotistical partners to be seen.
Last edited by Rekans1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 67
Fairland 38

... Warren is one of the top teams in SEO for a reason(s) - shooters, defense, good size, coaching, (Hall,French,Reece) PLUS the kids on the block Kidder/Mazurkiewicz/Dennis/Huck/Church/Welch/Henthorn ... I know that's a lot of new people BUT all season Coach Maddox has been working in ALL of these "role" players into spots in each of the games they have played ... the drive to get players varsity experience, the need to get them to have the game "slow down" when going up against quality players & teams ...Coach Maddox has the Warriors right on track - Maz/Kidder now anchor a sticky perimeter defense that takes a back seat to no one, add Andrew Drayer (who did not play Saturday) adding boards in the paint , Church - a senior with limited minutes in past years now seeing key minutes off the bench in the paint ... Maz/Drayer starting lineup players, Kidder sixth man ,first off the bench ... ALL of these ingredients together give Warren one of the DEEPEST benches in SEO ... Saturday it was the Big 3 - Hall/French/Patton putting up 46 points along with the added offensive output from the role players to take down Fairland 67 - 38 ...

... Fairland came into Saturday's game after losing to OVC mate Coal Grove Friday night 57-67 ... Warren exposed the size weakness for the Dragons as Warren did most of their damage offensively in the paint and on the boards ... WHS had 14 fgs in the paint on the game & 6 out back buckets after missed shots, backing it up with 7/13 from beyond the arc ... Mazurkiewicz/Kidder/Henthorn all handled the Fairland perimeter speed and pressure ... while applying their own perimeter pressure ...

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Fairland

Scoring ...Evan Maddox 13, Tyler Campbell 7, Jacob Warner 4, Chance Short 4, Luke Phillips 3, Thayer Flynn 3, Nathan Campbell 2, Trent Wilcoxen 2
3 Pointers ... 3/23 ... Maddox 3
FTs ... 7/10
TOs ... 18

Pfloyd Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Evan French 20, Michael Hall 17, Reece Patton 9, Blake Kidder 8, Aaron Mazurkiewicz 3, Colin Welch 3, Tanner Huck 3, Kyler Dennis 2,Marshall Church 2
3 Pointers ... 7/13 ... French 2, Patton 1, Hall 1, Kidder 1, Welch 1, Huck 1
FT's ... 14/19
TOs ... 14

... I had the opportunity to watch Warren 2 nights in a row this week , both lopsided "Ws" for the Warriors... in BOTH cases Coach Maddox "coached" for 32 minutes in each win ... Warren players learned something from both games - it wasn't just that they were physically better than their opponents, they were NOT allowed to rely on sloppy physical play to get it done - both wins were won playing "real - fundamentally sound basketball ... no playing down to opponents, Coach Maddox made sure that the play on the Warren side of the court was quality play ... coaching is teaching the game, using teachable moments in EVERY game ... when determining the quality of a team you have to take into account "coaching" - Coach Maddox won't lose that matchup too many times ...

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:This will be the last time I post on this subject! Dr.Know, U say you can't believe the kid was nailed with it and then u say u saw what he said. Well, what you said he said is false. I'm not on here to share anymore information on what that young man said, he knows what he said and I do too. I don't take pride in "T"ing people up but players/coaches need to play/coach the game and let officials officiate the game. Chicken Coop-I already said that we messed up the first 2 free throws. Again, we have to be 100% sure to take those points off the board. We weren't, neither was the official scorer at the table. So again we did what was right in that situation. Valley still had a chance to win the game even after that was over. Again, a tremendous basketball game played by both teams. I have talked to several people who had nothing to do with the game and said the game was very well officiated until the free throw situation. We were told that we were very consistent with our calls throughout the game.

HOGWASH !! ...all night long you told the scorer who the shooter was ...i watched... and then you got so wrapped up in calling the technical ...you cant remember who was fouled ....dog gone funny everyone else in the gym knew who the correct shooter was ...3 man crew and still couldnt get it right ....RABBIT EARS

great game by the Burrows kid and number 20 also .... athens team were very strong and quick jumpers

this is the last time i will post in this too ....

Jankage11
Waterboy

Post by Jankage11 »

Clevelandbrowns#1 me being a former official understand that you can't get every call correct and that's acceptable but unless that kid threatened your family there's no reason to give him a technical in a high emotion type game like this one. You no matter if you want to admit it or not changed this game and costed a team a win. Yes they may of had a chance to win after the mess YOU caused but you caused a 7 point swing in favor of Athens because your ego couldn't handle a kid asking you a question after you took away an and 1 from the kid. And you say you don't like handing out T's but in the last 3 years if gave out 3 T's to valley's squad so maybe there's some bad blood there and you might just want to decide to stop taking games involving the Indians if you're going to make such a strong impact on the outcome. And maybe Athens would've still won if the technical wasn't called but it shifted the moment completely and instead of valley going up 4 or 5 they went down 2 and gave Rolfe his 5th foul. This was a great game that was taken over by the refs in the 2nd overtime and I'm sure everyone would've loved to of seen the outcome of the game without your ego taking over and making a high school basketball game more about you than the kids.

( 7 pt swing because it was a 2 pt game in valley's favor Rolfe gets an and 1 says the ref with a better view he makes his free throw Indians go up 5 potentially. Instead a ref near half court tells another official he's wrong and the foul was on the floor which meant a 1 and 1 which was missed then #12 NOT burrow was fouled and the technical was called Athens makes 3/4 free throws with wrong shooter on 2 of them and goes up 1 retaining possession and then gets a bucket giving them a 2 pt lead. So instead of going up 4 or possibly 5 they went down 2.) just a shame we'll never know the outcome of a great game like this if it wasn't so heavily affected by the officials. That being said good luck to both the bulldogs and the Indians on the second half of the season.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

pfloyd thanks for all the accolades. The Beasts is a team effort and begins with Coach Davis and our chairman Tom. There is alot of hard work and hours and hours to put on this event.
Thanks to you and 93bulldog for promoting this event.
Also you are correct that the ladies that worked up front are fantastic people. We have a great core of people who are always envolved.
Thanks again and is always a pleasure to talk with you and 93bulldog

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

peake71 wrote:pfloyd thanks for all the accolades. The Beasts is a team effort and begins with Coach Davis and our chairman Tom. There is alot of hard work and hours and hours to put on this event.
Also you are correct that the ladies that worked up front are fantastic people. We have a great core of people who are always envolved.
You're welcome peake71 ... can't wait till next year!!! lol

We'll continue to promote as much as possible - by the time Floyd and I are done - you guys will have to move over and play it at Marshall to accommodate all the fans.

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:
peake71 wrote:pfloyd thanks for all the accolades. The Beasts is a team effort and begins with Coach Davis and our chairman Tom. There is alot of hard work and hours and hours to put on this event.
You're welcome peake71 ... can't wait till next year!!! lol

We'll continue to promote as much as possible - by the time Floyd and I are done - you guys will have to move over and play it at Marshall to accommodate all the fans.

:mrgreen:

... you are welcome peake71 ... as 93dog said it's EASY to promote and want to promote such a well run event as the Beasts of the Southeast - it simply doesn't get any better than what your committee and Coach Davis put together every January ... look forward to being there again next year ... thank you all for the hospitality THIS year ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Did you get a shirt, Floyd?

Cause I did ...

have it on right now in fact ... lol

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

another great event, one of these years Im going to make the trip

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Did you get a shirt, Floyd?

Cause I did ...

have it on right now in fact ... lol
... yes I got a shirt - wore it today to school then to my CT scan for good luck - It works!!!! (oh and by the way I bought that shirt you have on, told peake71 not to tell you, didn't want you feeling bad - just sayin :mrgreen: ... just kidding !!!! LOL

Return to “Boys Basketball”