Huntington (2-1)
West (2-1)
West Union (3-2)
Adena (1-2)
Northwest (1-2)
Piketon (1-2)
Wheelersburg (0-1)
Westfall (0-2)

With the changes to the D3 District, I figured it was time to start a thread to keep track of the new Sectional alignments. With the Athens sectional now split up, it looks like for this season anyway, that the Waverly sectional becomes the tougher draw. Valley, Portsmouth, West, and Wheelersburg all come over from the Jackson Sectional and instantly raise the level of competition at Waverly. There are now 14 teams in this draw and only 4 get to the Convo. This year there will be only 8 sectional champions out of the 29 D3 teams as compared to 12 the last several years. This will make the sectionals much tougher to get out of.
As far as I can tell, these records appear to be accurate as of today. Please correct any issues and post any scores for teams in this sectional.
It looks like there are a few strong teams at the top in this draw, but there are also some teams that the big boys won’t want to see in a potential 1-8 or 2-7 matchup. There are a lot of hoops to be played and if December is any indication, snow will be a factor. So, please post scores, cancellations, and reschedules here on this thread.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Waverly Sectional

Post by 4thgoal »

With the way the sectional teams were realigned, the Waverly sectional became the tougher site instead of Jackson. The 4 teams that advance out of this sectional could all end up in district final games this year.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

That sectional is scary. Kudos to the 4 teams that survive that.

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

good news....i dont have to drive to athens for sectional

bad news...i may not have to drive to athens ever

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

This sectional is very good and it's crazy that only 4 of these teams will be playing at the Convo.

The seeding will be more important than ever, because I think there are 7 really good teams, but that still wouldn't give the 1 a pass, because there are a few more quality and dangerous teams on a 2nd tier.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

There are defiantly some teams that the top squads would like to avoid.

Anyone want to give small rundowns on some of these teams a week or two into the season? As an SOC/Scioto County fan here are a few thoughts on each of those teams....

Valley - The Indians look to be at or near the top of this sectional and possibly the whole SE in D3. Valley is a senior loaded team with great size, good guard play, and great depth. Hayden Dunn is the defending SOC player of the year and Jordan West is a 4 year starter who stands 6'6'' and shoots it as well as anyone in the district. The Indians go about 10 deep and their bench is long. This team has the horses to run with anyone and have started 3-0 with wins over Unioto, Ironton, and Piketon by an average of 29 points per game. Factor in that 11 of the 12 players on the roster were also starters on the football team that played 2 playoff games and you have a team that is 2 weeks behind most other squads at this point. Valley will be a major player in D3.

Portsmouth - The Trojans are young and loaded in the back court. It starts with Sophomore Ky're Allison. That kid can play. Portsmouth will be a tested team around tournament time. The Trojans already sent a message to D3 and the SEOAL by going on the road and knocking off Warren. That is a great win. Portsmouth may have some problems at times with teams on the glass, but if the Trojans take care of the boards, they will be at the Convo with a chance to cut down the nets and get to the sweet 16.

West - The Senators are one of the "dangerous" teams in the sectional. They will take (and make) a lot of 3 and can shoot themselves into and out of a lot of games. They have some kids with experience and talent. They already have a win over Wheelersburg, but have also been blown out by Coal Grove. West can give the big teams fits.

Wheelersburg - The Pirates are 3 weeks behind due to football and that is not easy especially with a new coach. The jury will be out on Wheelersburg until at least the first of January. If history tells us anything, it is that no 1 seed will want Burg on the 8/9 line.

Northwest - Based on early season scores, the Mohawks won't be much of a factor in D3. They do have a couple of talented kids and a very good coach, but scoring 21 points on Paint Valley tells me that Northwest won't do much to the top teams at Waverly.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Eastern Brown (5-0) - Wins over Lynchburg 59-54 and Ironton 54-42
Valley (4-0) - Beat Wheelersburg 67-60
Zane Trace (4-0) - Wins over Paint Valley 69-48 and Huntington 53-40
Southeastern (3-0) - Wins over Westfall 70-53 and Paint Valley 68-31
West (4-1) - Wins over Waverly 50-46 and Ironton St. Joe 63-48
Lynchburg-Clay (4-2) - Lost to Eastern 59-54 Beat Northeastern but no score was given
Portsmouth (2-1) - Lost to Cleveland John Hay 69-61 in Overtime
West Union (3-3) - Lost to Fairfield 69-59
Adena (2-3) - Lost to Piketon 66-59 and Beat Westfall 58-56
Huntington (2-3) - Losses to Unioto 56-48 and Zane Trace 53-40
Piketon (2-3) - Beat Adena 66-59 and Lost to Unioto 57-48
Northwest (1-3) - Lost to Oak Hill 62-50
Wheelersburg (0-2) - Lost to Valley 67-60
Westfall (0-4) Losses to Southeastern 70-53 and Adena 58-56

Looking like there may be some pretty good records at the draw for this sectional.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Lynchburg Clay 65
CNE 39 (12/14/13)

Lynchburg Clay
West Union
Huntington
Piketon
Adena
Wheelersburg

ALL of these teams will be a handful for the top tiered teams come sectional time imo ...

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Very nicely done thread Crab! Gonna be awesome watching this bracket unfold.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Crab's brother wrote:There are defiantly some teams that the top squads would like to avoid.

Anyone want to give small rundowns on some of these teams a week or two into the season? As an SOC/Scioto County fan here are a few thoughts on each of those teams....

Valley - The Indians look to be at or near the top of this sectional and possibly the whole SE in D3. Valley is a senior loaded team with great size, good guard play, and great depth. Hayden Dunn is the defending SOC player of the year and Jordan West is a 4 year starter who stands 6'6'' and shoots it as well as anyone in the district. The Indians go about 10 deep and their bench is long. This team has the horses to run with anyone and have started 3-0 with wins over Unioto, Ironton, and Piketon by an average of 29 points per game. Factor in that 11 of the 12 players on the roster were also starters on the football team that played 2 playoff games and you have a team that is 2 weeks behind most other squads at this point. Valley will be a major player in D3.

Portsmouth - The Trojans are young and loaded in the back court. It starts with Sophomore Ky're Allison. That kid can play. Portsmouth will be a tested team around tournament time. The Trojans already sent a message to D3 and the SEOAL by going on the road and knocking off Warren. That is a great win. Portsmouth may have some problems at times with teams on the glass, but if the Trojans take care of the boards, they will be at the Convo with a chance to cut down the nets and get to the sweet 16.

West - The Senators are one of the "dangerous" teams in the sectional. They will take (and make) a lot of 3 and can shoot themselves into and out of a lot of games. They have some kids with experience and talent. They already have a win over Wheelersburg, but have also been blown out by Coal Grove. West can give the big teams fits.

Wheelersburg - The Pirates are 3 weeks behind due to football and that is not easy especially with a new coach. The jury will be out on Wheelersburg until at least the first of January. If history tells us anything, it is that no 1 seed will want Burg on the 8/9 line.

Northwest - Based on early season scores, the Mohawks won't be much of a factor in D3. They do have a couple of talented kids and a very good coach, but scoring 21 points on Paint Valley tells me that Northwest won't do much to the top teams at Waverly.

West can be a dangerous team but this years team doesn't shoot near as many threes as last year. Yes, we still knock a few downbut we try to get more baskets of the dribble. Davis shoots well off the dribble and Bricker likes to take it to the rim. Also we try to get Hafer all the touches we can. He isn't the biggest big man but most nights he will out jump anyone on the court.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

By the time the sectional seeding comes around, Portsmouth may very well have played the toughest schedule for a D3 school in the SE district. Because of that, the Trojans could have 3-5 losses to quality opponents. Their first loss, 69-61 in OT to Cleveland John Hay, was to a team that could beat anyone in the SE district, and I have seen Valley, Eastern Brown, Warren, and Logan Elm. Hay's team quickness would be a real problem for any of the aforementioned teams. Portsmouth outrebounded a much taller Warren team 34-22, but were manhandled on the glass by John Hay 47-26. Hay wasn't as tall as Warren but were very athletic. Despite the difference in rebounds, the Trojans took the Hornets to OT.

Through 3 games, sophomore Kyre Allison is averaging 21.7 PPG, while 6-3 freshman Kendall Reynolds is second at 13 PPG.

Honestly, I look for Trojans to be no higher than a #4 seed, because I think that Valley, Eastern Brown, and Zane Trace will all have better records.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Can someone tell me the names of the District SE Board Members? I smell a skunk :122246

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

trojandave wrote:Honestly, I look for Trojans to be no higher than a #4 seed, because I think that Valley, Eastern Brown, and Zane Trace will all have better records.
Records aren't the only thing that come into play. Coaches have a chance to lobby for their team to be a higher seed if they feel they deserve higher than their record shows. Close losses to quality opponents can be 'explained' to an extent. The same as a great record against weaker opponents can also be exposed. Conference allies can also come into play, but unfortunately for Portsmouth they have no current or future conference teams in this sectional to help them.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

4th n Goal wrote:
trojandave wrote:Honestly, I look for Trojans to be no higher than a #4 seed, because I think that Valley, Eastern Brown, and Zane Trace will all have better records.
Records aren't the only thing that come into play. Coaches have a chance to lobby for their team to be a higher seed if they feel they deserve higher than their record shows. Close losses to quality opponents can be 'explained' to an extent. The same as a great record against weaker opponents can also be exposed. Conference allies can also come into play, but unfortunately for Portsmouth they have no current or future conference teams in this sectional to help them.

Portsmouth will have friends in there. No one wants to play them.
You will have to play a good team to get out. IF the leagues stick it to the Trojans it could bite someone in the finals

MY top 5
1. Valley
2. Eastern Brown
3. Portsmouth
4. Zane Trace
5. Wheelersburg
6. Southeastern
7. Lynchburg Clay

Those matchups make for some great sectional finals

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I believe only the top 2 seeds will get first round byes and the 3-4 seeds will have to win 2 games at Waverly to make it to the Convo. The battle will be to get one of those top 2 seeds. I really don't see Burg getting near the top 5, but it is way too early to tell on that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Can someone tell me the names of the District SE Board Members? I smell a skunk :122246
This is practically the exact same teams that used to be in this sectional when only 4 moved on before. I believe Burg is new, but someone had to come with the exit of NA, Peebles, and PV to D4. I can remember a state ranked Valley team coming in as the 1 seed and losing to an underachieving but talented 9 seeded Westfall team back around 2004. Unioto and Valley played at Waverly a couple times early in the 2000s, the 2nd year Unioto won 15 games and was the 6 seed!

This is a loaded sectional, but it's also correct when it comes to geography. I somehow doubt that anyone on the SE board would stack the sectional to get their school to the Convo and possibly affect the amount of money they would make there.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg and Portsmouth were both in the Rock Hill sectional about 6-7 years ago.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

4th n Goal wrote:Burg and Portsmouth were both in the Rock Hill sectional about 6-7 years ago.
Portsmouth has at least bounced around. In 2008, they took #1 seeded North Adams to the limit, a year that NA reached the regional semis.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

1) Valley
2) ZT
3) Eastern Brown
4) The Burg
5) Portsmouth

My top 5 seeds.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

4th and Goal: You're absolutely right about conference loyalties, I didn't include that in my initial post. Portsmouth certainly is the lone wolf of the sectional, with everybody else having a conference affiliation. The key to Portsmouth's seeding record is how they play the 3 games in Florida. If they can come back with say, a 2-1 record, then the 2014 year starts out with some very winnable games. Consequently, if they don't do well in Orlando, it most likely will hurt their seeding, no matter how good the Florida teams were.

The Trojans always seem to be a difficult team to seed........it seems like they are the trendy pick virtually every year as the team nobody wants to play. Bengalfan76 makes a good point about that. Since 2008, the Trojans biggest margin of defeat in any tournament game (before the state) is 6 points, that to Zane Trace 80-74 (tied with 40 seconds to play) in 2008 at Waverly. In 2009, they lost to North Adams 77-75 in OT at Waverly, and in 2010 lost to Valley 63-62 at Jackson. Of course in 2011 and 2012 they advanced to the state, then in 2013 lost to Wheelersburg 45-42 at Jackson. In 2008, 2009, and 2013, the Trojans finished with a losing record overall even with the competitive showings in the sectionals.

Despite the loss to John Hay, I really like the 2013-2014 Trojans. I have said over and over the main concern for PHS is rebounding. They outrebounded Warren, and won. They were outrebounded badly by John Hay, and lost in OT.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”