Waverly Sectional

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Waverly Sectional

Post by trojandave »

I Watched Piketon beat Zane Trace last night at PHS, and the Redstreaks looked much better than they did at the Zane Trace Classic. I thought going to the game that the Pioneers would win easily, but PHS's win was no fluke. They were down 24-14, and then outscored ZTHS 20-5 to take control of the game. Piketon was determined to control tempo in the second half, and their ball handling allowed them to do so.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

trojandave wrote:I Watched Piketon beat Zane Trace last night at PHS, and the Redstreaks looked much better than they did at the Zane Trace Classic. I thought going to the game that the Pioneers would win easily, but PHS's win was no fluke. They were down 24-14, and then outscored ZTHS 20-5 to take control of the game. Piketon was determined to control tempo in the second half, and their ball handling allowed them to do so.
That game was a surprise to me as well. After what Valley had done to Piketon, I wasn't sure the Streaks would be able to compete with the top teams in this sectional. They have made themselves a factor.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Piketon defeated VInton Co tonight 56-47

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Based on what I can gather, it looks like Whiteoak @ West Union was cancelled Friday. It looks like Eastern was supposed to play Fairfield on Friday and not Georgetown on Saturday (per the Cincinnati Enquirer).

Saturday Scores:

Zane Trace 41
McClain 35

Valley 66
Huntington 45

Southeastern 67
Western 51

West 58
Rock Hill 19

Piketon 56
Vinton County 47

Wheelersburg 56
Russell 46

Adena 51
Whiteoak 32

Logan Elm 81
Westfall 42

With the weather and cancellations galore coming up, it is going to be a bear to keep track of these games. Anyone with scores or changes, please post them here.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Updated standings (Through 1/5-Based on scores I've found)

Valley (10-1)
Zane Trace (10-1)
Southeastern (9-1)
Eastern Brown (8-1)
Portsmouth (6-2)
Lynchburg-Clay (6-3)
West (6-4)
Wheelersburg (4-3)
West Union (5-4)
Piketon (6-5)
Huntington (5-6)
Adena (4-7)
Northwest (3-7)
Westfall (0-10)

The only difference I have been these standings and those on PFloyd's page is I have Piketon at 6-5. If you see any corrections, please let me know. Also list any rescheduled games on this thread.

Hard to believe the draw is only 5 weeks from yesterday.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crab's brother wrote:Updated standings (Through 1/5-Based on scores I've found)

Valley (10-1)
Zane Trace (10-1)
Southeastern (9-1)
Eastern Brown (8-1)
Portsmouth (6-2)
Lynchburg-Clay (6-3)
West (6-4)
Wheelersburg (4-3)
West Union (5-4)
Piketon (6-5)
Huntington (5-6)
Adena (4-7)
Northwest (3-7)
Westfall (0-10)

The only difference I have been these standings and those on PFloyd's page is I have Piketon at 6-5. If you see any corrections, please let me know. Also list any rescheduled games on this thread.

Big weekend ahead for some of the top teams:

Valley has Minford and Athens
Southeastern at Zane Trace and vs Miami Trace
Zane Trace vs Southeastern and at Vinton County

SVC thoughts

Southeastern has lost their only game against a top level team, but has their chance to make up for it over their next 3 games, 3 wins there and they are a top 3 seed, IMO.

Zane Trace stumbled at The Oven, but have a chance to solidify themselves over their next 4 games...and host the Streaks right before the draw as well.

How bout the Streaks? After a slow start, they have a monster weekend and look like they are getting things figured out. If they get Farmer back, this will be an even more dangerous team. Their tough schedule will have them ready for any matchup they face in this sectional.

Huntington is a sleeper. Very well coached and very big. They struggle to score at times, but in the right matchup, they can be scary.

Adena is a year away from really competing for a sectional title in this sectional, but don't sleep on the Warriors. They beat a solid McClain team on the road.

Westfall has a couple of nice, young pieces and competed very well against Zane Trace earlier in the season.

Based on what I've seen this year:
1. Valley
2. Zane Trace
3. Portsmouth
4. Southeastern
5. Eastern Brown

But, EB could go in with only 1 or 2 losses and that would bump them up.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

danicalifornia wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:Updated standings (Through 1/5-Based on scores I've found)

Valley (10-1)
Zane Trace (10-1)
Southeastern (9-1)
Eastern Brown (8-1)
Portsmouth (6-2)
Lynchburg-Clay (6-3)
West (6-4)
Wheelersburg (4-3)
West Union (5-4)
Piketon (6-5)
Huntington (5-6)
Adena (4-7)
Northwest (3-7)
Westfall (0-10)

Big weekend ahead for some of the top teams:

Valley has Minford and Athens
Southeastern at Zane Trace and vs Miami Trace
Zane Trace vs Southeastern and at Vinton County

SVC thoughts

Southeastern has lost their only game against a top level team, but has their chance to make up for it over their next 3 games, 3 wins there and they are a top 3 seed, IMO.

Zane Trace stumbled at The Oven, but have a chance to solidify themselves over their next 4 games...and host the Streaks right before the draw as well.

How bout the Streaks? After a slow start, they have a monster weekend and look like they are getting things figured out. If they get Farmer back, this will be an even more dangerous team. Their tough schedule will have them ready for any matchup they face in this sectional.

Huntington is a sleeper. Very well coached and very big. They struggle to score at times, but in the right matchup, they can be scary.

Adena is a year away from really competing for a sectional title in this sectional, but don't sleep on the Warriors. They beat a solid McClain team on the road.

Westfall has a couple of nice, young pieces and competed very well against Zane Trace earlier in the season.

Based on what I've seen this year:
1. Valley
2. Zane Trace
3. Portsmouth
4. Southeastern
5. Eastern Brown

But, EB could go in with only 1 or 2 losses and that would bump them up.

Good rundown dani....I agree with your top 5 but I would shuffle the order a tad. I do think Valley is the top team as of now, but I would put Portsmouth right there with them. I don't know what to take from the South Point loss, but the wins in Florida and the victory at Warren say a lot to me about what Portsmouth is capable of. Here's my little rundown....

1. Valley - They will have every chance to earn the #1 seed. They have Minford and Athens this week. After that, they will still play @ Oak Hill and host Wheelersburg before the draw. I think if Valley comes in to the draw at 19-2 or better, only a one loss SVC team or 2-3 loss Portsmouth will have a better resume.

2. Portsmouth - They have the best list of wins in the sectional. They also have probably the worst loss as well. Portsmouth will play Piketon, Peebles, Warren, at Wheelersburg, at Logan, and possibly Cleveland JFK all before the draw. If they are 12-3 or so, they will have a claim to the #1 seed.

3. Eastern Brown - I think they have the best wins of all of the 1 loss teams. They have beaten Vinton County, Chesapeake, Lynchburg, and Georgetown. There only loss is to unbeaten Peebles. They will play Peebles again before the draw, but I don't expect them to have more than a couple of losses at the time of the draw.

4. Zane Trace - I was very surprised to see them lose to Piketon. No disrespect to the Streaks, I just didn't think that they were that good when Valley played them earlier in the season. They have a nice win at Unioto and a solid win over Mcclain. They still have VC, Logan Elm, Unioto, and Southeastern before the draw. They may have 3-4 losses at the draw.

5. Southeastern - There is not a "really good" win for the Panthers yet. You would probably say that the win at Piketon is their best to date. Zane Trace, Miami Trace, Unioto, Vinton County, and Circleville are all on the schedule before the draw.

6. Wheelersburg - This is going to be a team that no one wants to play. They started 3 weeks behind most teams and they had a new coach. Their 3 losses are to teams that are a combined 23-6. They have a pretty good win at Oak Hill under their belt. They will have a shot at playing their way up the seeding playing Valley, Portsmouth, Minford, and Oak Hill, all before the draw.

7. Lynchburg - The loss to Paint Valley does not look good. They have to play Peebles and Eastern before the draw. I won't act like I know a lot about that league. They seemed to be talked about like they have some talent.

8. Piketon - Nice wins over the weekend against Zane Trace and Vinton County. It appears they have figured it out and it sounds like they will get even better once Farmer returns. They don't have any "bad" losses, but they have been blown out by Bloom Carroll and Valley. They have Portsmouth, Unioto, Southeastern, and Zane Trace again before the draw. They stay hot and they could crack the top 6-7.

9. West - I take back what I said about Portsmouth's loss to South Point being the worst in the sectional. I forgot about West losing to Northwest. The Senators have a good win over Wheelesrburg. The rest of the resume is pretty underwhelming. They have proven they can hang with a lot of teams. They can also be blown out. They have 2 very good players, so they can beat just about anyone on any given night.

10. West Union - Again, don't know a lot about the SHL, but I don't see any "good" wins on the Dragons schedule to date. There are chances to prove they belong in the top seeds. They will have to beat Peebles to do so.

11. Huntington - I got to see these guys in person Saturday. They have some size and play hard but they really struggle to score. Looking at their results, I see 40, 46, 35 and so on in their losses. That won't get it done against the top teams in the sectional.

12. Adena - Seen the Warriors last Saturday. They are young but athletic and play hard. They have a couple of kids that can make shots, so the right draw and they could make a team nervous. Only decent win is at McClain.

13. Northwest - The Mohawks have a good player in Drew Scarberry. They have gotten better in a sense that they are beating the teams they should. They did knock off West, which is a decent win. They don't appear to have much shot of getting out of Waverly.

14. Westfall - Winless and as the season has progressed, they are getting less and less competitive. They hung with Adena and ZT earlier, but have just been getting pounded as of late.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

^^^^^
Piketon loss to Southeastern was at SE. Not that it matters.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Friday Games:

Valley @ Minford
Portsmouth @ Gallia
Eastern @ Fayetteville
Southeastern @ Zane Trace
Wheelersburg @ Waverly
Lynchburg @ Whiteoak
Piketon @ Huntington
Oak Hill @ West
Peebles @ West Union
Paint Valley @ Adena
Northwest @ South Webster
Unioto @ Westfall

Saturday Games:

Valley vs. Athens (@ Beast of the Southeast)
Piketon @ Portsmouth
Eastern vs. Coal Grove (@ Beast of the Southeast)
Zane Trace @ Vinton County
Miami Trace @ Southeastern
Peebles @ Lynchburg

Wheelersburg, West, West Union, Huntington, Adena, Northwest, and Westfall appear to have off dates.

If there are any makeup games being played Saturday, please post them here.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Crab's brother wrote:6. Wheelersburg - This is going to be a team that no one wants to play. They started 3 weeks behind most teams and they had a new coach. Their 3 losses are to teams that are a combined 23-6. They have a pretty good win at Oak Hill under their belt. They will have a shot at playing their way up the seeding playing Valley, Portsmouth, Minford, and Oak Hill, all before the draw.
Burg beat Oak Hill at home, not on the road, but they do have a nice win @Fairland as their best road win so far.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Zane trace jumped out on Southeastern early. final Zt 61 Se 38.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley 59
Minford 54

Valley gets about 6-8 hours to enjoy the win, then another HUGE test tomorrow at the Beasts of SE tournament vs Athens!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley 59
Minford 54

Portsmouth 49
Gallia 24

Eastern 74
Fayetteville 60

Zane Trace 61
Southeastern 38

Wheelersburg 57
Waverly 33

Lynchburg 57
Whiteoak 27

Piketon 62
Huntington 57

Oak Hill 54
West 53

Peebles 73
West Union 68

Paint Valley 64
Adena 54

South Webster - More points than Northwest
Northwest - Less points than South Webster (I heard it on the radio- Didn't get the final other than South Webster won

Unioto 76
Westfall 54

Anyone with the missing scores, please post. I will update the records after today's games.
Last edited by Crab's Brother on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lynchburg won 57-27.

Eastern won 74-60.

Jayhawks
Freshman Team

Post by Jayhawks »

Eastern Brown 74 Fayetville 60

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Can we get some updated records crab?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley 11-2

Won @ Minford 59-54 Friday night
Lost in 2 OT to a REALLY, REALLY GOOD Athens team 77-71 Saturday night.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Coal Grove 51
Easter brown 43 Saturday

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Saturday Scores:

Athens 77
Valley 71 (2 OTs)

Portsmouth 76
Piketon 49

Coal Grove 51
Eastern 43

Zane Trace 55
Vinton County 53

Southeastern 67
Miami Trace 64 (2 OTs)

Peebles 67
Lynchburg 64

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Updated Standings thru 1/12 (May be missing some rescheduled games):

Zane Trace (12-1)
Valley (11-2)
Southeastern (10-2)
Eastern Brown (9-2)
Portsmouth (8-2)
Lynchburg-Clay (7-4)
Wheelersburg (5-3)
West (6-5)
Piketon (7-6)
West Union (6-6)
Huntington (5-7)
Adena (4-8)
Northwest (3-8)
Westfall (0-11)

Any make up dates or thoughts?
Last edited by Crab's Brother on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”