Waverly Sectional

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: Waverly Sectional

Post by eagles73Taylor »

When the southeast district board held sectionals in Athens, Jackson and Waverly I understood why they went with the geographical boundaries to place teams. However, now that they went with 2 sectionals 25 miles apart in Jackson and Waverly why didn't they just do the super sectional seeding? I cant see Belpre complaining driving to Waverly versus Jackson! lol

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

Unioto and Zane Trace have already played twice.
Zane Trace won at Unioto in OT early in the season.
Unioto beat ZT by two points Saturday.

Crab is correct. Valley should be in front of any SVC team right now. Schedule strength.
Same thing with Portsmouth unless they lose a couple more before the draw.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

danicalifornia wrote:
Jimmy the Greek wrote:My Streaks will be a tough out for somebody. Kids are stepping up and making big plays when we need them. Big games for us this week.
4 very tough ones in a row for the Streaks before the draw, but they have the talent to get those wins and get themselves possibly up to a 5 seed (I don't see Valley, Portsmouth, ZT, or EB coming in with 5/6 losses) and the 5 is virtually the same as a 4 either way. SE has lost 3 of 4 and seems to have lost the defensive presence that they showed against Piketon in their prior meeting, along with looking lost at times lately could cause them to drop at least 3 more before the draw (Piketon/Circleville/Vinton)

Zane Trace still has a rough road ahead as they see Piketon and Logan Elm before the draw, this could cause them to slip a little bit more.

That Defensive Presence was against Piketon's Bench. Down at the half, coach Brabson didn't like the way the boys were playing and benched them to teach a lesson. That game got ugly after that with SE pressing and playing their starters. Now I don't fault SE. But I commend Brabson..... BTW since Piketon has begun to play team basketball and has turned the season around. If Piketon finishes in top 3 Brabson deserves COY.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

1980-81 SE/Westfall split league PV coach of the year, 1993-94 Unioto/ZT split league, Westfall/ZT coach split, 1995-96 ZT won league, SE/ZT split coach, 1998-99 SE won league, Hunt/SE split coach, 2005-06 Adena won league, Ad/SE coach split. Since 1962-63, only 1 time has a non league winner won the SVC coach of the year award outright, and only 4 other times they split the coach of the year award!

Bengalfan, you know those Ross county boys will stick together! lol

warriorfan
Waterboy

Post by warriorfan »

[quote="Crab's brother"]Friday Scores:

Valley 45
Wheelersburg 43

Zane Trace 68
Adena 40

Unioto 67
Southeastern 56

Portsmouth 61
Jackson 36

Eastern 48
Whiteoak 21

Lynchburg 66
Fayetteville 60

Piketon 73
Westfall 61

Waverly 63
West 52

West Union
Manchester PPD (Make up anyone?)

Paint Valley
Huntington PPD (Make up?)

Oak Hill 44
Northwest 25

Saturday Scores:

Valley 78
North Adams 40

Adena 52
Southeastern 48

Unioto 56
Zane Trace 54

Piketon 69
Paint Valley 55

Huntington 60
Westfall 58

Eastern
Hillsboro PPD (Anyone know if this one will even be played?)[/game will be played on 01/25/2014 fresh. game starts at 11:00 A.M.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

eagles73 wrote:1980-81 SE/Westfall split league PV coach of the year, 1993-94 Unioto/ZT split league, Westfall/ZT coach split, 1995-96 ZT won league, SE/ZT split coach, 1998-99 SE won league, Hunt/SE split coach, 2005-06 Adena won league, Ad/SE coach split. Since 1962-63, only 1 time has a non league winner won the SVC coach of the year award outright, and only 4 other times they split the coach of the year award!

Bengalfan, you know those Ross county boys will stick together! lol
Might be true Eagles but with what Piketon lost last year. New coach and one kid in top 8 returning. Many didn't think Piketon would finish in top 6. Bud deserves COY.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I see Valley getting the #1 seed, considering that they have probably played the toughest part of their schedule. They have already played Warren and Athens, have swept Wheelersburg, won at Minford, West, and Piketon, and beat Oak Hill at home.

I think the real fight will be for the #2 and #3 seeds........I still think Portsmouth has to win out to move above a #4 seed. If the Trojans have only 2 losses going into the draw, I believe PHS deserves no lower than a #2 and could make a case for #1. I think that just one more loss could really drop PHS 1-2 spots in the seeding. A win over Warren this Friday, which would give them a sweep over the Warriors, would pad their already strong resume.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Valley and Portsmouth are probably the top 2 in this field, not saying they will be seeded that way. Burg is primed to make some noise as they have improved tremendously.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's remaining schedule before the draw:

Friday, Jan.24.......Warren
Saturday, Jan.25....Fairfield Christian @ Wellston
Thursday, Jan.30...@Jackson
Saturday, Feb.1.....@Logan
Thursday, Feb.6.....Ironton
Saturday, Feb.8.....Cleveland Martin Luther King

After the draw:
Tuesday, Feb.11....@Chillicothe
Friday, Feb.14......Gallia Academy
Saturday, Feb.15...@Minford

The Wheelersburg game?.......it has been postponed twice. I would assume that because it's a big gate game, that it will be rescheduled.

The big difference between the Trojans pre-Florida and now is the emergence of Sky Oliver, who has been playing outstanding basketball since the 2-2 start. Offensively, Oliver has had games of 15, 19, 19, and 11(16 PPG) after coming back from Florida. Although I don't have the numbers officially, Sky is one of the top two, if not the best, FT shooter on the team.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Crab's brother wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:
Jimmy the Greek wrote:My Streaks will be a tough out for somebody. Kids are stepping up and making big plays when we need them. Big games for us this week.
4 very tough ones in a row for the Streaks before the draw, but they have the talent to get those wins and get themselves possibly up to a 5 seed (I don't see Valley, Portsmouth, ZT, or EB coming in with 5/6 losses) and the 5 is virtually the same as a 4 either way. SE has lost 3 of 4 and seems to have lost the defensive presence that they showed against Piketon in their prior meeting, along with looking lost at times lately could cause them to drop at least 3 more before the draw (Piketon/Circleville/Vinton)

Zane Trace still has a rough road ahead as they see Piketon and Logan Elm before the draw, this could cause them to slip a little bit more.

I like Piketon to come into the draw at 12-8. I think Unioto has turned it on and I think ZT will get them will they go there. Even if they win all 4, it will be tough for them to catch the top 4. 14-6 and they will be no worse than the 5 seed. At the 5, if would get probably Eastern or ZT and have a great shot to get to Athens. Once there, they would draw possibly Oak Hill or Peake and I still think that would be a good matchup for the Streaks. Now, were they to go 2-2 with another loss to SE, then the Panthers would end up ahead of them so that may knock them to #6. Also, if Wheelersburg were to knock off Portsmouth or Minford and Oak Hill again, they would come to the draw at 13-5 and have a case for the #5 or #6.

It is going to be fun to watch it all play out.
I'm not talking about Piketon being a 1-4 seed....I'm talking about whoever they will face in the tournament will have their hands full. The Streaks are a dangerous team. But a will be seeded between 5-7 (depending on what happens the next few games).
Portsmouth win out or go 5-1 before the draw. I see them #1, followed by Valley, ZT, Eastern....the next two weeks will shake everything out. JMO

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Crab's brother wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:

I like Piketon to come into the draw at 12-8. I think Unioto has turned it on and I think ZT will get them will they go there. Even if they win all 4, it will be tough for them to catch the top 4. 14-6 and they will be no worse than the 5 seed. At the 5, if would get probably Eastern or ZT and have a great shot to get to Athens. Once there, they would draw possibly Oak Hill or Peake and I still think that would be a good matchup for the Streaks. Now, were they to go 2-2 with another loss to SE, then the Panthers would end up ahead of them so that may knock them to #6. Also, if Wheelersburg were to knock off Portsmouth or Minford and Oak Hill again, they would come to the draw at 13-5 and have a case for the #5 or #6.

It is going to be fun to watch it all play out.
I'm not talking about Piketon being a 1-4 seed....I'm talking about whoever they will face in the tournament will have their hands full. The Streaks are a dangerous team. But a will be seeded between 5-7 (depending on what happens the next few games).
Portsmouth win out or go 5-1 before the draw. I see them #1, followed by Valley, ZT, Eastern....the next two weeks will shake everything out. JMO

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The Portsmouth @ Burg game is rescheduled for Wednesday 2/5
Last edited by 4thgoal on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Friday Scores:

Valley 91
West 57

Wheelersburg 67
South Webster 54

Warren 68
Portsmouth 57

Unioto 58
Huntington 51

Lynchburg 64
North Adams 47

Piketon 65
Adena 64

Minford 70
Northwest 54

Zane Trace 80
Paint Valley 46

Southeastern 61
Westfall 42

Eastern ????
Manchester ??? (Floyd has Eastern at 11-3 so I would imagine they won)

Fayetteville 74
West Union 61

Updated Standings (Through 1/26):

Valley (15-2)
Zane Trace (14-2)
Portsmouth (10-3)
Eastern Brown (11-3)
Southeastern (11-4)
Lynchburg-Clay (9-4)
Piketon (11-6)
Wheelersburg (7-4)
West (7-8)
West Union (6-8)
Huntington (6-8)
Adena (5-10)
Northwest (3-11)
Westfall (0-15)

Only difference between my standings and Floyd's are with Adena and Westfall. I have Adena at 5-10 and Westfall at 0-15. Floyd has them 5-9 and 0-14.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Adena is listed at 5-10 on SVC sportszone but Westfall is 0-14 on there. I have Westfall losing 5 non conference games:

Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Circleville
Logan Elm
Madison Plains

Is one of those not right?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Portsmouth at Wheelersburg game will be played on Wed. Feb.5th. The Trojans have an SEOAL game at Logan on Saturday, Feb.1st, which is listed on the original schedule. I believe PHS has to win out (15-3) to the draw to have any chance of a #2 seed.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crab's brother wrote:Adena is listed at 5-10 on SVC sportszone but Westfall is 0-14 on there. I have Westfall losing 5 non conference games:

Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Circleville
Logan Elm
Madison Plains

You're right, they are 0-15. I believe the LE score wasn't ever reported, so they didn't officially count it as a loss.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Wheelersburg has 7 games scheduled between now and the tournament draw
1/28 vs. Minford
1/31 @ Oak Hill
2/1 @ Northwest
2/4 vs. Ironton
2/5 vs. Portsmouth
2/7 vs. Northwest
2/8 @ Alexander

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

danicalifornia wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:Adena is listed at 5-10 on SVC sportszone but Westfall is 0-14 on there. I have Westfall losing 5 non conference games:

Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Circleville
Logan Elm
Madison Plains

You're right, they are 0-15. I believe the LE score wasn't ever reported, so they didn't officially count it as a loss.
Thank you sir!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

4th n Goal wrote:Wheelersburg has 7 games scheduled between now and the tournament draw
1/28 vs. Minford
1/31 @ Oak Hill
2/1 @ Northwest
2/4 vs. Ironton
2/5 vs. Portsmouth
2/7 vs. Northwest
2/8 @ Alexander
If Burg can win them all, they will be in the 3-4 range. If they lose to Portsmouth and or Minford, I would expect them in the 5-6 range. Wheelersburg is a team that no team is going to want to see.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... has Farmer returned to the Piketon lineup from his injury ? or is he not returning ? ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”