Waverly Sectional

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly Sectional

Post by bballsvcfan »

I think the reason they wouldnt get the 1, is the "bad loss" to South Point....but it appears they got the 3. No way ZT should be in front of Portsmouth...

Looks like Portsmouth has more losses than ZT, and were blown out by a far inferior team this year. ZT has 2 loses for a combined 10 points. That's why the games are played, the bad loss for Portsmouth hurt them, and ZT suffered by losing to Piketon by 8. Everyone has an off night occasionally and both teams paid the price. If ZT don't lose to Piketon and go in to the draw 18-1, they have a claim to the #1 seed instead of the #2. It's all good, I still think the Waverly sectional will send a couple very tough teams to the district, and once there you never know what will happen. SE district will be well represented in D3!!!

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

It is what it is....but in many past years the Pioneers and Coach Alley have always had a tough road to travel during the tourney. #2 seed or #3 whatever.To all who complain. Just win your games and beat the higher seeds to shut people up. The problem starts with pools where teams are placed. Just do the super sectionals like they do in Columbus and this would end. Obviously the other D3 sectional is much weaker. We are all fully aware of that. Again it is what it is........Goodluck to all teams......Lets get a SE district team to the final four in D2,D3, and D4.......

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

If Zane Trace played Portsmouth's schedule they would have more losses than two.
Most coaches don't even look at who you play. They just look at the record or voting with their league buddies.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

Does anyone know how the voting went for the top three seeds?
I would think Portsmouth received some votes for the two seed. Did Collins discuss their schedule to the other coaches when given the opportunity to do so?

Best time of the year. It's almost Basketball:30

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

teamwork wrote:If Zane Trace played Portsmouth's schedule they would have more losses than two.
Most coaches don't even look at who you play. They just look at the record or voting with their league buddies.

Hopefully they play in the regional and settle it then.................

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

It was something around 8-6 in favor of ZT

It doesnt matter what seed you get...you always end up where you deserve to be in the end if you come to play...poltics are always a part and it either plays to your favor or against you.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has been through this scenario many times in the past, so the seeding yesterday is not surprising. I personally like the possibility of the Trojans getting another shot at South Point in the district semifinals, providing that both teams take care of their sectional business.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I prefer Portsmouth doesn't meet South Point.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Pioneer5 wrote:I think the reason they wouldnt get the 1, is the "bad loss" to South Point....but it appears they got the 3. No way ZT should be in front of Portsmouth...

Looks like Portsmouth has more losses than ZT, and were blown out by a far inferior team this year. ZT has 2 loses for a combined 10 points. That's why the games are played, the bad loss for Portsmouth hurt them, and ZT suffered by losing to Piketon by 8. Everyone has an off night occasionally and both teams paid the price. If ZT don't lose to Piketon and go in to the draw 18-1, they have a claim to the #1 seed instead of the #2. It's all good, I still think the Waverly sectional will send a couple very tough teams to the district, and once there you never know what will happen. SE district will be well represented in D3!!!
Valley beat Unioto by 29, and Piketon by 28. There was no way ZT was getting the 1 seed, and I stand by my statement they shouldn't have got the 2. SVC boys banded together, they would MUCH rather see ZT play Oak Hill than Valley or Portsmouth in a district final.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

Chicken coop, sounds like you don't want to play someone on your side of the bracket! Like I said before, the SE district Waverly sectional will be well represented whether it's Valley, Portsmouth, ZT, Eastern Brown, or Oak Hill. Class acts all the way around and if my team doesn't advance I will be rooting for our sectional representatives to do well!

Good luck to all, even you Chicken Coop! May your team play well!

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

Until the Southeast District Board realizes , "WHEN COACHES VOTE ON THE SEEDING AND THE BRACKET IS PREDETERMINED--You won't get a FAIR seeding and bracket BECAUSE coaches know where they can seed teams to play who they would like. It has been this way ever since they went to the NCAA style. "HELLO! They have a COMMITTEE that VOTES SEEDING, NOT the COACHES that are in the tournament." GO back to when they voted on #1 & #2 seeds, then all other seed are voted and THEY CAN PICK WHERE THEY GO ON THE BOARD, BASED ON WHAT SEED THEY WERE PICKED, ---- Many coaches would vote more fair, because if you picked a better team a lower seed, THEY may choose to come play you right off the bat... Go back to that format and see how it balances back out... THIS HAPPENS BIGTIME IN BASEBALL & SOFTBALL, but not as often when the format was different...

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Pioneer5 wrote:Chicken coop, sounds like you don't want to play someone on your side of the bracket! Like I said before, the SE district Waverly sectional will be well represented whether it's Valley, Portsmouth, ZT, Eastern Brown, or Oak Hill. Class acts all the way around and if my team doesn't advance I will be rooting for our sectional representatives to do well!

I think you are reading too much into his post. He said that the SVC coaches voted together to allow ZT to avoid Portsmouth and Valley, who are clearly the 2 favorites in D3. I agree with coop that ZT has the record to be a 2 seed, but they are not the 2nd best team in the Waverly sectional.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

4th n Goal wrote:
Pioneer5 wrote:Chicken coop, sounds like you don't want to play someone on your side of the bracket! Like I said before, the SE district Waverly sectional will be well represented whether it's Valley, Portsmouth, ZT, Eastern Brown, or Oak Hill. Class acts all the way around and if my team doesn't advance I will be rooting for our sectional representatives to do well!

I think you are reading too much into his post. He said that the SVC coaches voted together to allow ZT to avoid Portsmouth and Valley, who are clearly the 2 favorites in D3. I agree with coop that ZT has the record to be a 2 seed, but they are not the 2nd best team in the Waverly sectional.
Do we really know if ZT isn't the 2nd best team? ZT and Portsmouth each have a bad loss that can be tossed out as an off night. How many of you guys have seen both play? I have and it's closer than many of you are making it out to be.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

All good arguments. In the case of ZT and Portsmouth...apples to apples ZT lost to my Streaks and Portsmouth beat us pretty bad. (Although ZT got revenge, the Streaks were down players at the time). Second point, I believe Portsmouth plays a tough schedule and has proven in recent years it pays off tournament time. JMO....In the end it doesn't really matter, eventually the best team or the hottest team wins with the exception of the "Upset". When Piketon went to the Final Four they were #2 seed, but was clearly the best team in the Sectional.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Before Piketon played ZT the 2nd time I would have agreed that they are not better than Portsmouth. However, the way they played last Friday in Kinnikinnick I would say the distance between Ports/ZT isnt as great as some in Scioto county think! IMO, the top 4 in Waverly are very good and can beat just about anyone around in D III.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

win and advance and don't matter if you are 1..or 90

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

4th n Goal wrote:

Exactly, to play in Columbus, you've gotta eventually play them anyways, all I'm saying is the SVC coaches looked at it, and were like, Oak Hill or Portsmouth? Yea...Oak Hill. Anyone who says different, is crazy. I would have done the SAME THING if I were a coach in that room. Thats all I'm saying.

I dont mind the Indians having a POTENTIAL matchup with Portsmouth one bit..

Best of Luck to all teams.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

ZT has a potential matchup with Wheelersburg (if Burg can win there 1st round game against Huntington Ross) and Burg can be a spoiler come tourney time.

Look at last year for instance, they knocked off Portsmouth in the 1st round and then gave Ironton all they wanted in a 10 point loss.

ZT better be careful asking for a matchup against someone before they play there first game. Burg missing Eddie Miller might really hurt them though.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:ZT has a potential matchup with Wheelersburg (if Burg can win there 1st round game against Huntington Ross) and Burg can be a spoiler come tourney time.

Look at last year for instance, they knocked off Portsmouth in the 1st round and then gave Ironton all they wanted in a 10 point loss.

ZT better be careful asking for a matchup against someone before they play there first game. Burg missing Eddie Miller might really hurt them though.
I told a buddy today that I thought ZT's toughest game before a district final would be with the Burg. ZT has a nice road as long as they take it one game at a time, but it also could end immediately facing a team like the Pirates or Huntsmen.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

This sectional is gonna be a bare knuckle street fight.

Return to “Boys Basketball”