D2 gets one team to regional

bman
SEO

D2 gets one team to regional

Post by bman »

Was passed the word officially today that D2 will only have one team to the regional for the next two seasons. We're going to have a fantastic district and sectional final rounds it looks like.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: D2 gets one team to regional

Post by bbjunky81 »

That really is a shame, there's several talented teams in Division 2 in Southeast Ohio.

I'd imagine Minford has to be the most upset about this. They have a talented team, but I'm not quite sure they're on the level Athens/Warren is on right now and may have to match-up with them as early as Sectional Finals!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Who moves to SE? Is it Logan Elm or Vinton County? I'm pretty sure it'll be LE, but it's a lose-lose for the teams at SE either way.

Logan may have the top 2 teams in the district, but SE will be very strong with Miami Trace, Minford, Unioto, WCH, Circleville, and LE/VC. Should be a fun March for the fans, not necessarily for the coaches though.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well that just SUCKS!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Traditionally Logan Elm has played at SE, so that's who it'll probably be. They shifted over to Logan because that sectional needed one more team a few years ago.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

new philadelphia, regional finalist last year in athens, with everyone returning, has moved to D1

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

And St. Clairsville moves down to D3. Of course, the Central District champion will be returning to the regional, so it'll be tougher.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... blackshooky - wow, that's too bad for New Philly ... all of that talent returning only to be moved into D1 ... at D2 I saw a very good chance at a state appearance, now at D1 it will be a battle for sure ...

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Wow! What a change to the D-II landscape! District semi-finals and finals just got a lot tougher! My question is where does the 4 teams for the Athens Regional come from? 2 from the East Disrict, 1 from the Central District and 1 from the SE District?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BB #26 wrote:Wow! What a change to the D-II landscape! District semi-finals and finals just got a lot tougher! My question is where does the 4 teams for the Athens Regional come from? 2 from the East Disrict, 1 from the Central District and 1 from the SE District?
yes.

The biggest question will be which D2 champion from Columbus ... they have 4 champs I believe and send each team to a different regional ... I know Beechcroft made several appearances in Athens, and so did DeSales.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

D2 Central District has two district champions. One will probably go to Kettering regional and the other to Athens. The top seed always picks the Athens road to the Final Four, so you'll looking at a quality program like Watterson, Hartley, DeSales or some of these City League powers.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

bman wrote:D2 Central District has two district champions. One will probably go to Kettering regional and the other to Athens. The top seed always picks the Athens road to the Final Four, so you'll looking at a quality program like Watterson, Hartley, DeSales or some of these City League powers.
Hartley is D3 in hoops, but either way this is going to be tough for the SE region team.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

It doesn't matter because you have to beat them all to win the State.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

athens78 wrote:It doesn't matter because you have to beat them all to win the State.
Good point ... and in Athens' case, they have to beat the Warriors first if they want to go anywhere.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:
athens78 wrote:It doesn't matter because you have to beat them all to win the State.
Good point ... and in Athens' case, they have to beat the Warriors first if they want to go anywhere.
And Logan Elm/Miami Trace/Minford/Unioto as well. Nobody ever has a walk through D2 district games when there are more teams to the Convo and especially now with less teams.

Return to “Boys Basketball”