New Southeastern coach?

Main Man
Freshman Team

Re: New Southeastern coach?

Post by Main Man »

steadyEd wrote:That would be odd for Cox to take the job after leaving Adena for family time.
Can't imagine hiring Jordan if you are trying to build a program.

Build a program is right cause there are some problems down there.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The family excuse has to go! Adena's girls basketball has simply ran out of talent and as everyone knows, it happens in cycles. Obviously, you can't say that, but I think saying that you're looking for other opportunities (i.e. coaching boys') then it looks much better if you move onto another school.

I've recently heard Jeran and the Bear as a couple of favorites and I really think they would be fine with either choice. I do think Jeran would do a great job and the Bear has the experience to know how to deal with what is going on down Lancaster Road.

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

care should be shown for all kids
the wrestling job has been open for quite some time
it never gets posted
the basketball job and football job open and it ends up on ohsaa pretty quick

why the desparity towards other sports?

shameful of those not showing respect towards the wrestlers that work just as hard

heck they almost had as many out as the football team

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

wrestlefan1 wrote:care should be shown for all kids
the wrestling job has been open for quite some time
it never gets posted
the basketball job and football job open and it ends up on ohsaa pretty quick

why the desparity towards other sports?

shameful of those not showing respect towards the wrestlers that work just as hard

heck they almost had as many out as the football team
2 of those make money, 1 doesn't. It's tough, but that's how it is.

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

Not true. What is the cost for the wrestling program? One high school coach and one Ms coach. And then busses
How many coaches do they pay for the bball program? Football program?
For a boys basketball team they pay for refs,coaches, janitors to clean after games, table workers
Does a gate for a freshman boys game cover the cost of referee janitors and coaches and have money left to talk about?
Then they pay for busses
The wrestleds made nice money hosting the Ross county meet.
The wrestling team did not cost the school system money.

Even if it did lose money should they not pursue a coach for the kids?

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

I would say basketball and football still make more money. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe an AD can confirm?

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

There are only two varsity sports that make money, football and boys basketball, and they carry the rest of the athletic programs at most schools. Typically most schools pay two high school wrestling coaches and two junior high wrestling coaches, so you have to figure that they are putting out 10 grand in coaching contracts. Every bus trip has fuel expenditures and bus driver wages and benefits. On top of that, every wrestling tournament that is attended has an entry fee. Many times, at least at our school, the wrestling team will stay over night for out of town tournaments so hotel expenses are paid, typically by the boosters. Home wrestling matches require officials and score/clock keeper, gate workers, etc. Crowds for wrestling matches are minimal.

I will use our basketball program in comparison, we have the expense of officials for 11 home games, but we have volunteer clock/score keepers and gate workers. We pay two high school coaches and two junior high coaches just like wrestling does. We pay bus drivers for road trips, but we don't have entry fees and never stay over night. The cost of basketball and wrestling are very similar, the difference lies in the amount of money they bring in. With hoops we averaged between $1500-$2000 for our gate on eleven home games with our highest being $2900. So being conservative, our gate brought in $17,000. Your concession stand typically is comparable to your gate so we are now at least to $30 grand. We do raffles, 50/50, three point shoot out, and half court shot contests that bring in money as well. Throw in a youth camp that makes a few grand, a summer shoot out that makes a few grand, t-shirt sales that make a few grand, a golf outing that nets 3-4 grand and a few other smaller fundraisers and we are looking at our boys basketball programs making nearly $50 thousand before expenses.

Seems like a lot but with Football being the only other profitable sport, they have to carry volleyball, golf, cross country, wrestling, girls basketball, baseball, softball, and track. It makes sense that those two sports get first priority. I do agree that the other sports athletes work every bit as hard but you have to take care of the sports that pay the bills and make the other ones possible.

The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

danicalifornia wrote:The family excuse has to go! Adena's girls basketball has simply ran out of talent and as everyone knows, it happens in cycles. Obviously, you can't say that, but I think saying that you're looking for other opportunities (i.e. coaching boys') then it looks much better if you move onto another school.

I've recently heard Jeran and the Bear as a couple of favorites and I really think they would be fine with either choice. I do think Jeran would do a great job and the Bear has the experience to know how to deal with what is going on down Lancaster Road.
I think both would do a good job for the next couple of years at Southeastern. After that, though, they both would probably move on. I can't see either one of them still being a coach at SE 5 years from now.

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

Caldwell. Very good points! At se, there are only one paid hs coach and 1 pd ms coach. There are no overnight trips . Basketball teams have to buy new balls every year, coaches shirts , have a trainer available at the many home games. Wrestlers at se supply their own stuff coaches shirts there are added costs. They had a tourney last year where 5 schools paid an entry fee.
Anyways my point is they should be looking for a coach for those kids! Those kids deserve that! They have had a knowledgeable person try again and again but they won't hire him. Yet they fail to pursue anyone. The kids need a coach and the longer it is put off is a further injustice to those wrestlers

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

Cox's wife is a SE grad, I believe, and his father-in-law is on the school board. #writingonthewall

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

More power to him if he (Cox) wants it. The process of cleaning the program up is going to take a while. Really amazing how quickly that school has fallen in most of its sports programs. We all understand that it goes in cycles, but it has been a struggle. Like it or not Larry Jordan influenced the kids and community at that school. Its almost like the place has gone directly south since his departure. i completely understand that many factors led to his departure and everything has two sides, but he was a fair man that bled Blue and White.

steadyEd
Waterboy

Post by steadyEd »

Girl's basketball is a totally different game, especially when you have the best talent on the floor night in and night out.
Narddog with a good point, are either of them there when the incoming Freshman are seniors? Probably not

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

The Narddog wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:The family excuse has to go! Adena's girls basketball has simply ran out of talent and as everyone knows, it happens in cycles. Obviously, you can't say that, but I think saying that you're looking for other opportunities (i.e. coaching boys') then it looks much better if you move onto another school.

I think both would do a good job for the next couple of years at Southeastern. After that, though, they both would probably move on. I can't see either one of them still being a coach at SE 5 years from now.
This is why I would like to see them hire a Southeastern guy. There is no doubt that most of the coaches mentioned all have great knowledge of the game and would make a fine coach. However, they need a guy who considers this their dream job and wants to stay at SE through the years where the talent may not be as great. Otherwise, they will be looking for a coach again in a few years.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

Who is the "Bear"?

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

KrAm wrote:Who is the "Bear"?
There's only one in Ross County! :122245 and he is definately a good coach. "Up on the Hill"

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

The bear is Rick Uhrig.

kisor
Waterboy

Post by kisor »

ukfanatic wrote:The bear is Rick Uhrig.
I think that would be a great hire for Southeastern, would he leave OUC to go back to the grind of HS basketball?

bump in the road
Waterboy

Post by bump in the road »

Have they hired a coach at SE yet???
Just curious>>>I might know another applicant that is a SE grad

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

No coach has been hired yet. Who is the applicant you know?

bump in the road
Waterboy

Post by bump in the road »

i would rather not say
i am surprised you don't see adams or skeens applying for that

Return to “Boys Basketball”