Ingredients of a Winning Basketball Coach

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Ingredients of a Winning Basketball Coach

Post by Wings Teaford »

I see where people are speculating about various jobs opening up on here. This is an exciting time of the year for HS basketball if your team has been down. Time to circulate those petitions to get rid of the dumb coach in charge of your schools team. Here in Racine, we have always had a strong program. Back in the 80s we were almost state champions twice. We have a checklist of characteristics we look for in a coach so that when we have to hire we never rebuild we just reload. I cant share everything as the official document is locked up in a cabinet under the sink at The Butcher shop. But here is what I can remember:

1. Run lots of suicides
2. Play only man defense
3. enforce the rule of everyone getting a bowl haircut
4. Stay AWAY from the weightroom and dont let yer players go there neither
5. Play offseason open gym basketball starting on April 1 and ending on November 1
6. Give every new baby in town a basketball
7. Shoot the ball every day for 45 minutes
8. Ask members of the almost champions for advice whenever you dont know what to do

local superstar
All State

Re: Ingredients of a Winning Basketball Coach

Post by local superstar »

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are. :lol: :lol:

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Someone is really upset over those Southern teams from the eighties. We get that here in Trimble over football success. Hard to believe they're still jealous over thirty years

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

Oh, I can show you cases where they're still jealous over FIFTY years.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

Wings Teaford wrote:I see where people are speculating about various jobs opening up on here. This is an exciting time of the year for HS basketball if your team has been down. Time to circulate those petitions to get rid of the dumb coach in charge of your schools team. Here in Racine, we have always had a strong program. Back in the 80s we were almost state champions twice. We have a checklist of characteristics we look for in a coach so that when we have to hire we never rebuild we just reload. I cant share everything as the official document is locked up in a cabinet under the sink at The Butcher shop. But here is what I can remember:

1. Run lots of suicides
2. Play only man defense
3. enforce the rule of everyone getting a bowl haircut
4. Stay AWAY from the weightroom and dont let yer players go there neither
5. Play offseason open gym basketball starting on April 1 and ending on November 1
6. Give every new baby in town a basketball
7. Shoot the ball every day for 45 minutes
8. Ask members of the almost champions for advice whenever you dont know what to do
Wings Its dern good to here from one of you front row boys on this. Yer number 4 is killing us cuz that ther basketball coach cant keep them boys outta that danged wait room. Them waits throws off ther shot. Can you imagine one of the Wolf boys from Carls team liften waits? Wy heeda throwd em off the team if they woulda. And numbr 7 needs sum fixin to cuz them boys aint shootin like the almost champions did.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

Thanks dog....and you are right. Them boys need to shoot at least an hour a day. Plus, the coach needs to get us front row boys on his side. We are an adavnatge when we are pulling leg hair on the opposing kids when they take the ball out. Plus, we can really ride the refs for him. We may get tossed but he wont get the technical foul. Maybe he could text us what he wants us to say next year.......

For all you haters, we aint jealous.....we proud of our tradition. Just wish the SVAC hadnt died.

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

Wings Teaford wrote:Thanks dog....and you are right. Them boys need to shoot at least an hour a day. Plus, the coach needs to get us front row boys on his side. We are an adavnatge when we are pulling leg hair on the opposing kids when they take the ball out. Plus, we can really ride the refs for him. We may get tossed but he wont get the technical foul. Maybe he could text us what he wants us to say next year.......

For all you haters, we aint jealous.....we proud of our tradition. Just wish the SVAC hadnt died.
You dern tootin on the SVAC. That ther darn leeg was alot better basketball then that danged Twin Vally Confernce cuz its a football leeg an tell me who in Racine cares abotu football.

Rutterkickballer
Freshman Team

Post by Rutterkickballer »

I dont know what the list of ingredients might be. But, I know a winner when I see one:

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

^^^ Is it the guy sitting behind Howie? The one we can't see very well? :122246

blue1
Waterboy

Post by blue1 »

The ingredients of a winning basketball coach involves many things in my opinion. I think the head varsity coach and the coaches in his program need to live it, breathe it, and enjoy it. If coaching is in the Varsity head coaching's blood you are off to a good start. Then its important for the head coach to have a background and knowledge for the game. After that it's important for the coach to be able to relate with the kids. The kids have to buy into what the coach is selling. If the kids believe in their leader good things will follow.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

I think the guy needs the ability to get kids to run through a wall.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

Above all, he needs to master THE STOMP!

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

He also needs a complete understanding of the transfer rule and how to beat it. I bet the right kid could find good housing in trimble right now if he wanted it. All of those properties have a basket mounted on the utility pole.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Backing from Administration, Parents nose's out of the program, full community support. That's the main things

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »