What happened to Racine Southern Basketball Program?

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

What happened to Racine Southern Basketball Program?

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

They haven't been relevant for years now. That's very unlike the program I remember in the past at Southern. And I hear rumors that kids that usually play are not playing this year.
To me, that means there's a problem somewhere.
Hopefully they figure it out and get their program back to what it used to be.
Did they have a preview game? If so, how did they do?
Good luck to the Tornadoes this season.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Re: What happened to Racine Southern Basketball Program?

Post by Snowman »

Unfortunately players not playing is a problem that most schools are having, not just Southern. Many small-to-mid size schools can't field a freshman team anymore because fewer kids play multiple sports. Perhaps the cause of these kids not playing is specific to Southern and their culture, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a school that doesn't have fewer players in the program than they did a decade ago.

ChuckyTaylor
Waterboy

Post by ChuckyTaylor »

Hornetz_Fan32 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 am They haven't been relevant for years now. That's very unlike the program I remember in the past at Southern. And I hear rumors that kids that usually play are not playing this year.
I can tell ya what happened it's that foosball coach getting the kids to lift all them danged waits. Them things throws of yer shot.

#WaitsThrowsOffYerShot
Steegal
Freshman Team

Post by Steegal »

ChuckyTaylor wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:10 pm
Hornetz_Fan32 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 am They haven't been relevant for years now. That's very unlike the program I remember in the past at Southern. And I hear rumors that kids that usually play are not playing this year.
I can tell ya what happened it's that foosball coach getting the kids to lift all them danged waits. Them things throws of yer shot.
Yay football coach. Keep up the good work. Eastern basketball fans love you for it. :ugeek:

Steelers - Blue Devils - Eagles
Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

SNowman is right. It is a problem that is not exclusive to Southern. Numbers are down across the board as all schools with similar enrollment to Southern. Kids would rather be playing video games or simply not be involved in sports.

Maybe I am wrong, but was Southern not at the convo a couple years back?

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

the way i hear it. chance michaels had them boyd lifting waits. everybody up there says that liftin them dang waits throws off yer shot

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

lifting weights will make your shot bounce off the backboard like a shot put.....lol

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
ChuckyTaylor
Waterboy

Post by ChuckyTaylor »

PurplePower wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:45 pm the way i hear it. chance michaels had them boyd lifting waits. everybody up there says that liftin them dang waits throws off yer shot
It's a good thing for that Chance guy that Kent didn't get on the board or he be packing his bags. Now we have to count on the Butcher and I heard Chance is been brown nosing him so I doubt he does anything about it. Thanks voters for dissing our basketball school.

#WaitsThrowsOffYerShot

#WaitsThrowsOffYerShot
kooniesback
Waterboy

Post by kooniesback »

Racine hasn't been any good since Howsie left. He claims he forbade players from lifting weights and made sure they played all summer, so not much time for football either.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

This is probably your typical post by someone trying to stir something up. I see this was your 2nd post. Southern has been relevant recently, winning the league in 2014, and going to Convo in 2015. Before that they had a string of something like 6 out of 8 years going to Convo if not mistaken. I guess by "for years now" you mean the past 2 years, because they haven't had as much success, but in 2016 I think missed a shot at the buzzer to go to the Convo against a very good South Gallia team. Also, Southern plays a very difficult non-league schedule which has affected their overall record recently. It is too bad when kids decide not to play, but that goes on everywhere and has for years. What is the average amount of seniors on a small school team? 4 or 5? I think you are mistaken, because Southern has been pretty good compared to most schools over the last 10 years. This year's group I know is young overall, but look for them to improve and hopefully be pretty good by the end of the season.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

Hopefully so. That they get better. And don't go by my posts. I've been on here for years. I know what they have done for 50+ years. I follow southeastern basketball. Of course the kids are different now. But as I said I wish them the best.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

And yes I hear about kids not coming out at a bunch of schools around the area. But not other areas where sports programs are thriving. I hope it comes back to this area.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

And "going to the convo" had a different meaning in the past. They used to have to play their districts somewhere else. So they had to win 3 or 4 games before the convo not 1 or 2. But it's great for them to get there though.
Hoping to see "The Hustling Tornadoes" again after some rough years.

Return to “Boys Basketball”