Warren @ Athens Dec 5th

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Warren @ Athens Dec 5th

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 pm Great halftime adjustments by Coach Maddox and staff. I think Athens going man caught Big Bad Blue off guard, once they settled down the game was theirs for the taking, worked the ball hit the open man off the screens and had great floor spacing. Well done Warriors!
I hate Warren - but darn, I love watching Maddox operate. The dude can flat out coach.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm Mattox gets his 300th Win as Warren comes back from a 28-24 deficit at the half. Final score 61-38 Warren Warriors. Stud Josh Huffman has another huge night and gets 25 points In tonight's Contest. In The last 3 games The opposing Big Men have scored in the Mid 20s on the Bulldogs. Athens goes to 0-3 on the season and Warren evens up at 1-1....River Valley comes to the Plains on Friday...Will Athens get their 1st Win???
Loveday - 24
Patton - 24
Huffman - 25

I don't know what the answer is. Moving Butcher to the 5 and Hines to power forward? Chubb to power forward and keep Hines at 5?

Gotta do something. Athens is getting eaten alive in the paint.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 pm Great halftime adjustments by Coach Maddox and staff. I think Athens going man caught Big Bad Blue off guard, once they settled down the game was theirs for the taking, worked the ball hit the open man off the screens and had great floor spacing. Well done Warriors!
I hate Warren - but darn, I love watching Maddox operate. The dude can flat out coach.
Yes he can, the best was how he stayed composed, and hence, his players stayed composed! Played defense without their hands and moving their feet, and when they did, coach corrected the kids and they responded. BBB may not be an elite team in the SE this year, but they will be solid.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm Mattox gets his 300th Win as Warren comes back from a 28-24 deficit at the half. Final score 61-38 Warren Warriors. Stud Josh Huffman has another huge night and gets 25 points In tonight's Contest. In The last 3 games The opposing Big Men have scored in the Mid 20s on the Bulldogs. Athens goes to 0-3 on the season and Warren evens up at 1-1....River Valley comes to the Plains on Friday...Will Athens get their 1st Win???
Loveday - 24
Patton - 24
Huffman - 25

I don't know what the answer is. Moving Butcher to the 5 and Hines to power forward? Chubb to power forward and keep Hines at 5?

Somethings got to Give soon. And I didnt even see Dickelman tonight, he is an athletic 6' 4" and can alter shots on Defense. Not sure what is going on with him at this Point. I think he may have an injury. He was on the bench not dressed at Watterson. Tonight I didn't see him.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

37/10 2nd half

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
thebarlowbandit
All State

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 pm
Loveday - 24
Patton - 24
Huffman - 25

Somethings got to Give soon. And I didnt even see Dickelman tonight, he is an athletic 6' 4" and can alter shots on Defense. Not sure what is going on with him at this Point. I think he may have an injury. He was on the bench not dressed at Watterson. Tonight I didn't see him.
Word out by the concession stand tonight was he quit.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:11 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Loveday - 24
Patton - 24
Huffman - 25

Word out by the concession stand tonight was he quit.
If that's true it doesn't really surprise me. He may play at the next level in football, so why risk further injury at this point. He suffered a pretty bad ankle injury during summer basketball camp and I'm not sure he ever fully healed before football season started.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to Coach Maddox on win #300 ! Wow ... just as many have pointed out in the previous posts - Coach Maddox is simply one of the best there is in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... coach/teacher of the game throw all of the roles out there - he prepares his teams like no other, makes adjustments , manages his TEAM /Players ... great stuff Coach Maddox ! the Warriors will be fine this year - getting all of those "youngin's" varsity experience while riding the talent of Mr. Huffman until everyone else figures out their roles offensively ... it's actually one of those seasons that would be/will be fun to watch as the BBB faithful will be able to see the development of a TEAM as Coach & his outstanding staff teach the game to yet another group of talented players for Warren Local ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I will predict this now. I was very impressed by a Super smooth Guard for Warren that played JV and saw maybe a couple of minutes of Varsity. I think number 23. Malik may have been his name. Couldn't understand the announcer but I will say he is the Next Star at Warren. Think he had close to 20 on the night in the JV game. He was everywhere on the floor. I will be worried about him as an opposing team next year as he continues to develop and makes his way to the Varsity level. Maybe even this year if we see him in the D2 Sectional.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

First off congrats to Coach Maddox on #300.
Tonight the Warren Warrior coaching staff proved once again they are among the best in SE Ohio. Trailing 28-24 to the Bullpuppies at halftime the Warrior staff adjusted and blew the doors off Athens the 2nd half.
Josh Huffman was a beast inside and basically played “Bully Ball” with the Athens defense. On more than one occasion the talented senior slashed through the Bulldogs defense and muscled up various finishes. He also made Athens pay when they failed to cover him beyond the arc.
The Warren Warrior defense stymied Cozart and kept the Athens offense sputtering all night long.
Would have like to seen the Buther kid get more minutes as he did somewhat slow Huffman the short time he was on the floor.
To answer the question who is the #23 guard on the JV squad who played a few varsity minutes was #34 6’4” freshman Makiah Merritt. Long athletic with a nice jumper. Finishes well but needs to get stronger.
Warren’s freshman class is nice all the way around. Names like Merritt, Dennis, Gandee, Chevilier and Baumguard will rack up a lot of wins for the BIG BAD BLUE. The future is bright in WarriorNation!!

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Teams like Athens and Meigs will rack up some wins in the T.V.C. Ohio - except against V.C.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Anyone have a box score?

thebarlowbandit
All State

SportsRule wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 am Teams like Athens and Meigs will rack up some wins in the T.V.C. Ohio - except against V.C.
I do not mean this in a negative way, but if Athens is going to be relevant they must do well against the TVC Ohio, the TVC Ohio is a DIII league, and a DIII league that has not been very competitive in the DIII tournament. Athens must also do well with schools within their division, of which they are off to a poor start, however, this is a long season.

Best of luck to them!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I do like that Williams kid for Athens. Reminds me of De'von Sharp. I'm sure by the end of the year the offense will go through him

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

I agree with you 100% BB

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 am I do like that Williams kid for Athens. Reminds me of De'von Sharp. I'm sure by the end of the year the offense will go through him
Dynamic player, brings good energy to the floor. Has a couple of things to work on yet, but this comes from not having played ball consistently for a few years. As a point guard I think he needs to learn to dish the Ball off and not force the shot, especially when he has wing players on the perimeter wide open. But then again I can say this about a couple of players on the team that are driving into the lane and with 3 or 4 defenders in their face they are throwing up desperate shots. I've seen wide open players on the perimeters ready to shoot and they still throw these shots up.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The extra pass means everything in basketball!

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

saw athens play the other night and i don't think i would agree that there were many wide open players on the perimeters that often. i saw a lot of one-on-one play and very little movement away from the ball, which doesn't bode well for getting open looks and shots in rhythm. ball movement seemed to be struggling, but player movement away from the ball is a big part of that problem.

also, defensively, what some might call "aggressive" defense i call over-pursuing which leads to poor closing out and straight line drives to the basket or numbers mismatches for drive and dish by opponent.

pieces all seem to be there, so when they start working together it will inevitably get better for the dogs.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Congrats to Coach Blane and Coach Sally Maddox on 300 varsity wins! Having spent 16 years on the Warren bench and being part of close to 250 of those victories, I can tell you that Coach Maddox has a rock behind him and her name is Sally. This is not news to the Warrior nation as they have seen it for nearly 2 decades. The loyalty and class of Coach Terry Coffman, Jack Colgrove, Jerry Mitchem, and 25 year middle school Coach Rod Padgitt further shows the first class operation known as Warren basketball under the direction of Coach Blane Maddox. Yes, the loss to the Logan community of Coaches and dynamic teachers Blane and Sally Maddox has been a tremendous gain and blessing to the Warren Warrior nation.

Coach has more energy than ever and I know the Warriors will continue to be a force in SE Ohio as long as he is on the sideline. New schools are on the way and the community should be bubbling and full of energy as well in the future. Congrats my friend and coach em up !!!

Coach Duckworth

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Congrats to coach Mattox class act.love watching him and good luck to the blue

Return to “Boys Basketball”