Logan 57 Lancaster 50 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Logan 57 Lancaster 50 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 57
Lancaster 50 final

... Logan's first home game of the young season went down to the last 2:01 before the Purple made the Gales pay for 3 costly turnovers leading to Logan transition buckets ... just 2 minutes prior Lancaster was pushing itself out to a 46-42 lead - from the Cheap Seats it looked like the proverbial "first team to 50 wins" ... the only thing for certain was one of the LHS's was going to be that "first to 50 team" ... Lancaster inched closer on a 2 pointer by Jaycob England making it 48-42 Gales ... back to back triples - one from Coby Bell cutting the LHS lead to one possession 48-45 Lancaster, a Gales miss opened the door for Mr. Everything for Logan - Bo Myers ... the 6-5 sharpshooter for Logan nailed a triple AND 1 with 2:01 to play ... 49-48 the good guys in purple ... the Chiefs turned up the pressure on the ball forcing 3 Lancaster TO's in the final 2 minutes resulting 6 Chieftain points ... the fat lady was singing , the bus was started , Logan survived an excellent effort by a scrappy, game Lancaster ball club ... Logan 57 Lancaster 50 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Lancaster ...

Scoring ... Jaycob England 14, Austin Gootee 14, Dominic Boring 11, Nick Scott 4, Casey Chrysler 3, Christian Bradford 2, Owen Snyder 2
3 Pointers ... 8/20 ... Dominic Bradford 3, Austin Gootee 2, Jaycob England 2, Casey Chrysler 1
FTs ......... 4/4
TOs ........ 13 ... 6 in the 4th quarter
PNP ........ 9 fgs /18 points in the paint
Transition ... 3 fgs/6 points

... Lancaster came out very deliberate, lots of movement on the offensive end, while playing a 2-3 zone that pushed the Chiefs out on the floor for the majority of the game trying to run their offense ... the Gales did what they needed to do to have a chance to steal one from the more talented Chieftains on Logan's home court - they took care of the ball (7 TOs in the first 3 qtrs , none in the the 3rd), took time off the clock at the offensive end, kept Logan out of the paint defensively , pressured the perimeter shooters for the most part all night ... the Gales were within 4 minutes of making it happen ... best of luck to the Gales the rest of the season !

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Bo Myers 21 , Caiden Landis 18, Coby Bell 9, Layton Cassady 6, Wes Brooks 2, Caleb Bell 1
3 Pointers ... 9/23 ... Bo Myers 5, Layton Cassady 2, Coby Bell 2
FTs ........... 8/13
TOs .......... 10
PNP .......... 10 fg /20 points in the paint
Transition Points ... 4 fg / 8 points ... 6 BIG points within 30 seconds with under 2 minutes to play ...

... good win for the Purple on an "off night" shooting vs a not so good Lancaster ball club - hopefully a wake-up call to the Chiefs that you have to bring your "A" game every game especially against the Lancaster's of the world ... on a side note - Bloom Carroll was scouting the Chiefs tonight as they were sitting right beside pfloyd in the cheap seats tonight ... Athens comes to Logan Saturday night ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan 57 Lancaster 50 a final ...

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Thanks pfloyd, good writeup. I enjoy these and having the radio to listen to since I don't live close anymore.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Agree good writeup! Always look forward to the "napkin stats". I have tried to keep napkin stats at football games but usually have too much chilli sauce and mustard on my napkins. :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Good win Chiefs!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Lancaster was/is young but more athletic then I was expecting. But anytime you can beat Lancaster (in any sport) its a good win.

AT THE RESERVATION
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I believe all 5 starters for Lancaster were seniors.

MORBaseball
Waterboy

Post by MORBaseball »

1987chieftains wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 am Lancaster was/is young but more athletic then I was expecting. But anytime you can beat Lancaster (in any sport) its a good win.
Lancaster has 10 players on the varsity roster. 7 of the 10 are seniors, 2 are juniors, 1 is a sophomore. That's not a young team. Varsity game inexperienced maybe (other than Gootee), but not young by any means.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan JV won too

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Looks like a very good season ahead. Go Chiefs

Have gun, will travel
Sportfan97
Waterboy

Post by Sportfan97 »

I wouldn’t get too excited about this win. Lancaster may not win a game this season. Maybe the worst D1 team in the state of Ohio.

The fact that Logan only won by 7 should be a concern for your team.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Sportfan97 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 am I wouldn’t get too excited about this win. Lancaster may not win a game this season. Maybe the worst D1 team in the state of Ohio.

Take note , another Logan hater. Lancaster played a good Grove City team pretty tough . They run a very patient offense and are well coached .They play mostly a zone ( mostly because if they ran a man they would struggle ) Lack Varsity experience but play mostly seniors . Time will tell who is good and who is not . Who around Anderson TWP IS UNDEFEATED ????????? Their signature win for Logan was the Shermans and the TANKS are a very good team .

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Good win for the Chiefs mainly because they fought hard at the end . First time to see a zone defense which was good . Lancaster ran a very patient motion offense that makes you spend a lot of energy on Defense . Keep the wins coming and enjoy the game . Good luck to the Purple Gang!!!!!

Sportfan97
Waterboy

Post by Sportfan97 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am
Sportfan97 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 am I wouldn’t get too excited about this win. Lancaster may not win a game this season. Maybe the worst D1 team in the state of Ohio.

Take note , another Logan hater. Lancaster played a good Grove City team pretty tough . They run a very patient offense and are well coached .They play mostly a zone ( mostly because if they ran a man they would struggle ) Lack Varsity experience but play mostly seniors . Time will tell who is good and who is not . Who around Anderson TWP IS UNDEFEATED ????????? Their signature win for Logan was the Shermans and the TANKS are a very good team .
Not a Logan hater by any means. I’m a life long supporter of Lancaster athletics. And I can tell you that Lancaster’s team is not that good. They are well coached but lack the athletes to be competitive in the central district. Grove City is not a very good team either. Lancaster is 4-76 in their last 80 OCC games and probably won’t win even win 5 games this season.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Lancaster is not a collection of world beaters, but would not qualify as the worst D1 in the state. Any win is a good win, therefore, this is a good win.

Lancaster playing Grove City tough is an indication that they are at least a capable basketball team.

Sportfan97
Waterboy

Post by Sportfan97 »

HamPorter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am Lancaster is not a collection of world beaters, but would not qualify as the worst D1 in the state. Any win is a good win, therefore, this is a good win.

Lancaster playing Grove City tough is an indication that they are at least a capable basketball team.
You do realize Grove City will probably finish next to last in the OCC-Ohio with their only conference wins probably being against Lancaster.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Sportfan97 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 am
HamPorter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am Lancaster is not a collection of world beaters, but would not qualify as the worst D1 in the state. Any win is a good win, therefore, this is a good win.

You do realize Grove City will probably finish next to last in the OCC-Ohio with their only conference wins probably being against Lancaster.
Cool. I'm sure playing in a division with the Pickeringtons, Gahanna, and Reynoldsburg is a cakewalk for most other schools though, right?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Lancaster was absolutely dominated by Teays Valley (of all schools) in the season-opener, so no. I would not agree with this assessment.

- - -

The caliber of the top four OCC-Ohio teams, and the fact this year’s Lancaster squad is really bad, are not mutually exclusive concepts. There is not a single OCC Division, with the exception of maybe the Capital (maybe?), that Lancaster would finish above last place in.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Oh they wouldn't finish last in the Capital or Central. Westland and Franklin Heights are atrocious!

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

MORBaseball wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 am
1987chieftains wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 am Lancaster was/is young but more athletic then I was expecting. But anytime you can beat Lancaster (in any sport) its a good win.
Lancaster has 10 players on the varsity roster. 7 of the 10 are seniors, 2 are juniors, 1 is a sophomore. That's not a young team. Varsity game inexperienced maybe (other than Gootee), but not young by any means.
My Bad, I over heard someone last night say they where young.

AT THE RESERVATION
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... for what it's worth Lancaster is not a very talented or deep team imo BUT they do play to script the type of ball that when I hear we are playing a team from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line , the type of ball most OCC teams are noted for playing - deliberate offensively, making the opponent work defensively, lots of ball movement , physical , will shoot the mid-range 2 pointer, lots of games in the 50's type of ball ... the TYPE of ball Lancaster played IS that visual BUT the personnel on the Lancaster ball club doesn't fit the make up of what we normally see - at least one BIG in the middle who is strong & can play with his back to the basket , strong wing players as well with that 6-3/6-4 frame of a tight end/defensive end ... the perimeter players are usually strong with ball/fundamentally sound ... at least one can shoot the 3 ball and the other penetrates and/or shoots that mid-range jumper at the elbow extremely well ... throw in good FT shooters as well across the board ... THAT is my take when I hear OCC team ... Lancaster has good intentions of BEING one of THOSE teams but the pieces aren't there ... I guess what I'm trying to say - it was GOOD for Logan to see the "type/brand" of hoops that Lancaster played last night ... it was a positive to be able to get the "W" on an off night from the floor (which very well can be attributed to the Lancaster D that didn't let Logan get the penetration to the rim for inside points , couldn't get the penetration and kick it out for more open/spot up threes ) bottom line is that the Purple will have learned from this one, it was a good W , it was a gut check/hustle/force the tempo down the stretch with pressure WIN we can add to our handy dandy pocket schedules ... Athens comes to town Saturday !

Return to “Boys Basketball”