Re: Athens @ Logan (12/16)

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Logan 61
Athens 44

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I think Athens was 11-of-23 from the charity stripe.

Can't figure out why they are shooting so poorly from the foul line. I don't remember it being an issue last year with a lot of the same players.

Kind of disappointing seeing Williams on the bench so long. Barely played after the first quarter (Logan 20, Athens 13 after 1) ... The Bulldogs then scored just 1 point in the 2nd and were over-matched athletically throughout the game. Williams is the only player on the roster that is actually quicker (even more athletic) than most of the players Athens faces. Not to mention he had improved dramatically from game 1 to game 6 and was getting better and better with each passing quarter. Hated to see him sit. I hope it doesn't hurt his confidence. The kid is a play maker and slowly becoming a quality point guard and good distributor.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A look at all three games tonight

Freshman 1st quarter was 7 to 7 Logan scored the first 4 points and then Athens the next 7 with Logan making a three at the buzzer.

2nd quarter..Logan was down 13 to 9 and scored 6 straight to go up by 2 and Athens makes the 2 point basket to tie it at 15/15 at the half.

3rd quarter....Logan took a 21/17 lead only to have Athens score the next 11 to go up 28/21 Logan makes a foul shot and Athens leads after 3 28/22

4th quarter.....Logan wakes up to out score Athens 16 to 7 to pull out the win 38/35

Athens press Hurt Logan a lot the first 3 quarters but seemed to give up on it a little in the 4th

Reserve game

1st quarter.....Logan jumped out to a 11/01 lead. Foul shooting kept Athens in it in the 1st. Logan finished the 1st after the 11/01 lead outscoring Athens 10/08 for a 21/09 lead after one.

2nd Quarter.....The Chiefs went cold and played sloppy in the 2nd. Athens takes their big man out and goes for speed and outscore the Chiefs 13/02 in the 2nd to trail 23/22 at the half.

3rd quarter.....Chiefs come out cold in the third and Athens goes down inside to their big man. Seemed like Logan stopped their press and didn't cover the long shots. Athens out score the Chiefs 16 to 12 to lead 38/35 after 3

4th quarter.....turnovers, cold shooting and bad defense was killing the chief. came back to take a one point lead only to let it slip away 52/48

One thing I couldn't figure out.. Logan sat one of their tallest player in the 4th and was getting out rebounded bad. Don't think he fouled out.

Varsity.....Right off Athens game was to stop Landis and Myers and it work to a point with Logan leading 20/12 after one.

2nd Quarter.....Both team played a little out of control but Logan defense was keeping Athens from scoring as Logan outscore Athens 13 to 1 to lead 33/13 at the half.

3rd quarter.....In the third Logan played sloppy and missed some layups and short jumpers. Athens miss some foul shots and both team only scored 10 points in the third.

4th quarter.....Look like it might turn into a football game at times in the 4th. Logan once again was missing too many shots. Myers sat most of this quarter after picking up his 4th foul. Even Landis sat a lot with 3 fouls. Logan was outscored 21/18 in the 4th to come away with a 17 point victory.

Slow down kept this a low scoring game.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 61
Athens 44 a final

... (yaaaawwwnnnn) ... an ugly basketball game ... Logan played very sluggish, looked uninterested tonight vs the Bulldogs from Athens ... while Athens looked very "dysfunctional" as a TEAM - lots of one on one, seemingly uninterested in playing "together" ... combine the 2 modes of play from LHS & AHS and you get a game that was over early ... the crowd was lulled to sleep, the scouts from other schools were leaving early ... Logan 61 Athens 44 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Justin Hynes 13, Eli Chubb 11, Dalton Cozart 10 , Isaiah Butcher 7, Elijah Williams 2, Logan Maxfield 1
3 Pointers ... 3/16 ... Eli Chubb 2, Isaiah Butcher 1
FTs ....... 11/23
TOs ....... 14
PNP ... 9 fgs/18 points in the paint
Transition Pts ... 1 fg

... the only player who seemed to be able to breakdown the Logan defense was Elijah Williams... both quarters he saw action the Bulldogs had their biggest scoring output (12 points in the first and 21 in the 4th) ... the term I jotted down in on my napkin stat sheet for Athens was "chemistry" or more to the point "lack of chemistry" ... Athens doesn't have the size or quickness to breakdown teams "one on one" yet that is what appears to be the Athens offense ... when playing vs good defensive teams you will have quarters like quarter #2 where AHS scored only 1 point, only 3 fg's in quarters 2 and 3 combined ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Caiden Landis 17, Bo Myers 15, Layton Cassady 12, Coby Bell 8, Caleb Bell 3, Landon Little 3, Dawson Libben 2, Tyler Cummin 1
3 Pointers ...8/24 ... Layton Cassady 4, Landon Little 1, Caiden Landis 1, Caleb Bell 1, Bo Myers 1
FTs ........... 9/12
TOs .... 11
PNP .... 12 fg/24 points in the paint
Transition Points ... 2 fg/4 points

... the best you can say about tonight's matchup was that Logan got the "W" ... Layton Cassady continues to be instant offense off the bench as he knocked down 4 triples on the night with 2 of those giving Logan the separation needed in the first quarter so that the Chiefs could go through the motions the rest of the way ... Logan travels to Heath for a Monday night match-up ... Heath (2-5) is averaging a dismal 46 points per game ... should be another Logan "W" before Bloom Carroll visits Jim's Gym later in the week on Friday ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 pm... the only player who seemed to be able to breakdown the Logan defense was Elijah Williams... both quarters he saw action the Bulldogs had their biggest scoring output (12 points in the first and 21 in the 4th) ... the term I jotted down in on my napkin stat sheet for Athens was "chemistry" or more to the point "lack of chemistry" ... Athens doesn't have the size or quickness to breakdown teams "one on one" yet that is what appears to be the Athens offense ... when playing vs good defensive teams you will have quarters like quarter #2 where AHS scored only 1 point, only 3 fg's in quarters 2 and 3 combined ...
+1

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 pm Logan 61
Athens 44 a final

... (yaaaawwwnnnn) ... an ugly basketball game ... Logan played very sluggish, looked uninterested tonight vs the Bulldogs from Athens ... while Athens looked very "dysfunctional" as a TEAM - lots of one on one, seemingly uninterested in playing "together" ... combine the 2 modes of play from LHS & AHS and you get a game that was over early ... the crowd was lulled to sleep, the scouts from other schools were leaving early ... Logan 61 Athens 44 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Justin Hynes 13, Eli Chubb 11, Dalton Cozart 10 , Isaiah Butcher 7, Elijah Williams 2, Logan Maxfield 1
3 Pointers ... 3/16 ... Eli Chubb 2, Isaiah Butcher 1
FTs ....... 11/23
TOs ....... 14
PNP ... 9 fgs/18 points in the paint
Transition Pts ... 1 fg

... the only player who seemed to be able to breakdown the Logan defense was Elijah Williams... both quarters he saw action the Bulldogs had their biggest scoring output (12 points in the first and 21 in the 4th) ... the term I jotted down in on my napkin stat sheet for Athens was "chemistry" or more to the point "lack of chemistry" ... Athens doesn't have the size or quickness to breakdown teams "one on one" yet that is what appears to be the Athens offense ... when playing vs good defensive teams you will have quarters like quarter #2 where AHS scored only 1 point, only 3 fg's in quarters 2 and 3 combined ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Caiden Landis 17, Bo Myers 15, Layton Cassady 12, Coby Bell 8, Caleb Bell 3, Landon Little 3, Dawson Libben 2, Tyler Cummin 1
3 Pointers ...8/24 ... Layton Cassady 4, Landon Little 1, Caiden Landis 1, Caleb Bell 1, Bo Myers 1
FTs ........... 9/12
TOs .... 11
PNP .... 12 fg/24 points in the paint
Transition Points ... 2 fg/4 points

... the best you can say about tonight's matchup was that Logan got the "W" ... Layton Cassady continues to be instant offense off the bench as he knocked down 4 triples on the night with 2 of those giving Logan the separation needed in the first quarter so that the Chiefs could go through the motions the rest of the way ... Logan travels to Heath for a Monday night match-up ... Heath (2-5) is averaging a dismal 46 points per game ... should be another Logan "W" before Bloom Carroll visits Jim's Gym later in the week on Friday ...

Be careful, I️ get blasted for saying the same things. Visionquest will not be happy.

PFloyd, was Williams in foul trouble? Reading your post and seeing him against Warren, he is clearly where the offense should run through. Kid was only player they had that would start for Warren.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Williams had no fouls on the night ... was just not on the floor enough imo ... he is sooooo quick he was able to get into the paint, drew in defenders ... he had one nice spin move in the paint for his lone fg on the night ... he is a "raw" talent but could be of big help offensively if given a chance to get more varsity experience ... I'm basing all of this on ONE game - he may in fact be getting more PT just not tonight ... lots of athletes on the Green & Gold - playing the brand of ball that takes the most advantage of the skill sets seems to be an issue - again this is the only game I've seen of the Bulldogs - must have played much better last night vs Alexander at the Alley ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

At the preview and first game I thought Williams may be a year away. Raw talent and skills you just can't teach, took ill advised shots and turned the ball over. Games 2 and 3 was way better. Then Saltzmen was injured, he got thrust into the starting lineup and improved even more. Stopped taking bad shots, was looking to pass, getting to the rim, drawing defenders. In my mind, if the kid progressed that fast in six games, where the heck is he gonna be in 15 or 16 games?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

had a big :?: over my head when they took Williams out and he sat so long.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

My guess is that the Coach was/is trying to correct some things. From his Vantage point on the Floor and from where he wants his program and players to elevate toward is "his Vision". Just my Opinion.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Seems like a great idea to keep a kid on the bench next to him to talk him through what he sees on the court. I'm sure that's what happened, right?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

HamPorter wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 am Seems like a great idea to keep a kid on the bench next to him to talk him through what he sees on the court. I'm sure that's what happened, right?
Evidently he done something the Coach doesn't want him to do or he wouldn't be riding the Pine. End of Discussion.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

noreply66 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 pm A look at all three games tonight

Freshman 1st quarter was 7 to 7 Logan scored the first 4 points and then Athens the next 7 with Logan making a three at the buzzer.

2nd quarter..Logan was down 13 to 9 and scored 6 straight to go up by 2 and Athens makes the 2 point basket to tie it at 15/15 at the half.

3rd quarter....Logan took a 21/17 lead only to have Athens score the next 11 to go up 28/21 Logan makes a foul shot and Athens leads after 3 28/22

4th quarter.....Logan wakes up to out score Athens 16 to 7 to pull out the win 38/35

Athens press Hurt Logan a lot the first 3 quarters but seemed to give up on it a little in the 4th

Reserve game

1st quarter.....Logan jumped out to a 11/01 lead. Foul shooting kept Athens in it in the 1st. Logan finished the 1st after the 11/01 lead outscoring Athens 10/08 for a 21/09 lead after one.

2nd Quarter.....The Chiefs went cold and played sloppy in the 2nd. Athens takes their big man out and goes for speed and outscore the Chiefs 13/02 in the 2nd to trail 23/22 at the half.

3rd quarter.....Chiefs come out cold in the third and Athens goes down inside to their big man. Seemed like Logan stopped their press and didn't cover the long shots. Athens out score the Chiefs 16 to 12 to lead 38/35 after 3

4th quarter.....turnovers, cold shooting and bad defense was killing the chief. came back to take a one point lead only to let it slip away 52/48

One thing I couldn't figure out.. Logan sat one of their tallest player in the 4th and was getting out rebounded bad. Don't think he fouled out.

Varsity.....Right off Athens game was to stop Landis and Myers and it work to a point with Logan leading 20/12 after one.

2nd Quarter.....Both team played a little out of control but Logan defense was keeping Athens from scoring as Logan outscore Athens 13 to 1 to lead 33/13 at the half.

3rd quarter.....In the third Logan played sloppy and missed some layups and short jumpers. Athens miss some foul shots and both team only scored 10 points in the third.

4th quarter.....Look like it might turn into a football game at times in the 4th. Logan once again was missing too many shots. Myers sat most of this quarter after picking up his 4th foul. Even Landis sat a lot with 3 fouls. Logan was outscored 21/18 in the 4th to come away with a 17 point victory.

Slow down kept this a low scoring game.
A side not your PG went out half way thru 1st quarter with 2 blocking fouls . Your Offense starts with your QB(PG) of the team . Good luck to both teams going forward!

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

I have not missed many games. On this site there are not many FOOTBALL people pretending to be experts. Usually just basketball. Perhaps no one can really question Bulldog or NY Buckeye football etc. With so many football players going D 1 I guess it is do it on the field instead of talking.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Given how short the bench is now, I'm not sure the luxury exists just to sit players to get points across (or whatever the reason was). Unless of course it's decipline related.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Shouldn't the Athens coach be sitting some other major minute players other than the two pgs he has? Truthfully I hear that is what 99 percent of the fans say. It is a long season. Athens should be fine. The TVC schedule is not that hard. The injured pg returns soon and he can easily shift to the two. The team has no all stars but they might come together as a unit.The coaching staff is good.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

morehead state wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 pm Shouldn't the Athens coach be sitting some other major minute players other than the two pgs he has? Truthfully I hear that is what 99 percent of the fans say. It is a long season. Athens should be fine. The TVC schedule is not that hard. The injured pg returns soon and he can easily shift to the two. The team has no all stars but they might come together as a unit.The coaching staff is good.
Will be interesting to see if the injured PG gets his starting role back. The new PG is putting up some good Offensive numbers and is a dynamic player with his Quickness, not afraid to shoot the ball either.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Baited question. Seems like many coaches do not take a position away because of an injury. However seems like some fans and the coach are playing new pg no matter what. The question from the fans is will he ever substitute the other guard. For hoop fans the days of Soph Burrow and Luehrmans and frosh Watson and Saltzman are long gone from the hardwood and one game away from state finals. Bulldogs will improve every year with the new coach and his up tempo system. Hope to see Butcher and Chubb get a lot more time this season.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 am My guess is that the Coach was/is trying to correct some things. From his Vantage point on the Floor and from where he wants his program and players to elevate toward is "his Vision". Just my Opinion.
Vision = losing than we have success. Take that kid away from Meigs and River Valley and Athens is probably 1-1 in those two games, maybe 0-2. But hey, with the “new kid” on the bench, your kid gets more playing time. Wow, that’s called, working for a goal of a team win and team work.

Return to “Boys Basketball”