Athens @ Logan (12/16)

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Athens @ Logan (12/16)

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Sniper_Fan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm
HamPorter wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 am Seems like a great idea to keep a kid on the bench next to him to talk him through what he sees on the court. I'm sure that's what happened, right?
Evidently he done something the Coach doesn't want him to do or he wouldn't be riding the Pine. End of Discussion.
You know what would get him and other players more time on the floor for Athens - If his parents paid money in the offseason to participate in the local Athens County AAU basketball program or take private lessons ($$$$) from that AAU coach. Hmm, I wonder who runs that and would make money off of those parents??? Let me think and I will get back to you on that one.... ;) . In the words of Deep Throat in Watergate - Follow the Money.

NOW that's the end of Discussion!
Now, here is an opinion we can agree on. And sadly, this is in both the boys and girls program. Pay to play. And I️ bet Vision has paid, and word has always been a board members parent paid to play as well.

thebarlowbandit
All State

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm
Evidently he done something the Coach doesn't want him to do or he wouldn't be riding the Pine. End of Discussion.
You know what would get him and other players more time on the floor for Athens - If his parents paid money in the offseason to participate in the local Athens County AAU basketball program or take private lessons ($$$$) from that AAU coach. Hmm, I wonder who runs that and would make money off of those parents??? Let me think and I will get back to you on that one.... ;) . In the words of Deep Throat in Watergate - Follow the Money.

This is laughable. If that was the case there are 2 bench players who have played on that local AAU team for years and have not even started a game at The Varsity level. The transfer has come in and started and had more minutes then they have. The game at Logan he was benched for a little while because the Coach is trying to get something through to his head-End of Story so quit trying to Stir the Pot. I have seen your posts before and you have Allegiance to the old coach Skinner, so I have to think there is some Animosity toward the new Coaching staff with this type of Post.
So why do others have more turn overs and not leave the court? Funny, these kids all play together in the summer, spring, fall, and word is that kids quit because of the faviortisim that some play. How many teams have had as many kids quit at Athens ove the past two years? Thing is, you don’t care, because your little super star gets to play. You guys poop on Skinner, who we respected at Warren, yet he never had starters quit, now it’s a week.y roster update.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Sniper_Fan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:11 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm

This is laughable. If that was the case there are 2 bench players who have played on that local AAU team for years and have not even started a game at The Varsity level. The transfer has come in and started and had more minutes then they have. The game at Logan he was benched for a little while because the Coach is trying to get something through to his head-End of Story so quit trying to Stir the Pot. I have seen your posts before and you have Allegiance to the old coach Skinner, so I have to think there is some Animosity toward the new Coaching staff with this type of Post.
VQ- This is a revenue model that was used in both the Varsity Baseball and Varsity Basketball at Athens - 1. Daddy becomes coach. 2. Charge your own players in the offseason for "instruction". 3. Make it clear to players down to 3rd grade that paying for these extras will "improve" your chances of being a varsity player 4. Profit 5. Rinse and repeat until YOUR son graduates. 6. Leave your job at the High School when your son leaves.

It was the case in baseball and will be in basketball.

Do you think it is ethical or moral for the HS coach to profit off of providing "private coaching" to the kids in their program? Certainly Coach Adams doesn't and neither did Skinner. This is HIGHLY unethical IMO. Maybe you have no problem with it, but I do.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! I’ve been wanting to send my daughter to the Blaine Maddox AAU school or the Amy Colegrove school of Spring basketball, yet we do not require that at Warren. Belated tried that several years ago in Girls and that didn’t work. New coach and staff has righted that issue as well as Marietta always avoided that. But Athens is all about the $$$$$

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

morehead state wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 pm Shouldn't the Athens coach be sitting some other major minute players other than the two pgs he has? Truthfully I hear that is what 99 percent of the fans say. It is a long season. Athens should be fine. The TVC schedule is not that hard. The injured pg returns soon and he can easily shift to the two. The team has no all stars but they might come together as a unit.The coaching staff is good.
Being 20 rows up on the opposite side, I have no clue as to why Williams sat most of the game Saturday. Was it discipline? Did he not run the correct play when called? Who knows.

If it was to have him sit, observe and learn something while watching - then that probably wasn't a wise choice. Unless it was to 'watch what NOT to do' after scoring just ONE point in the 2nd Q. lol

But in all seriousness, I didn't learn to change the oil in my car from going to the Quicky Lube and watching someone do it. My dad made me do it when I was 16 as he watched over me. Williams is not going to learn a darn thing from riding the pine and watching. The only way he progresses is if he gets out there and learns from his mistakes. To say or think otherwise is downright foolish.

Morehead state ... you make a valid point. Saltzmen could play the 2. He could also come in and play point guard. He could even play the 3. He could and should be a valuable piece to the puzzle when he returns from injury. Williams, Cozart, Chubb, Maxfield, Hines, Saltzmen, Butcher should all end up around the same amount of minutes played per game depending on the flow, imo.

thebarlowbandit
All State

morehead state wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 pm Baited question. Seems like many coaches do not take a position away because of an injury. However seems like some fans and the coach are playing new pg no matter what. The question from the fans is will he ever substitute the other guard. For hoop fans the days of Soph Burrow and Luehrmans and frosh Watson and Saltzman are long gone from the hardwood and one game away from state finals. Bulldogs will improve every year with the new coach and his up tempo system. Hope to see Butcher and Chubb get a lot more time this season.
Correction, Athens was NEVER one game away from the State Finals. Has never happened! Now, Warren, yeah, we walked that dog, and left you guys sitting behind the fenced in yard on a short tether.

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm
morehead state wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 pm Shouldn't the Athens coach be sitting some other major minute players other than the two pgs he has? Truthfully I hear that is what 99 percent of the fans say. It is a long season. Athens should be fine. The TVC schedule is not that hard. The injured pg returns soon and he can easily shift to the two. The team has no all stars but they might come together as a unit.The coaching staff is good.
Being 20 rows up on the opposite side, I have no clue as to why Williams sat most of the game Saturday. Was it discipline? Did he not run the correct play when called? Who knows.

If it was to have him sit, observe and learn something while watching - then that probably wasn't a wise choice. Unless it was to 'watch what NOT to do' after scoring just ONE point in the 2nd Q. lol

But in all seriousness, I didn't learn to change the oil in my car from going to the Quicky Lube and watching someone do it. My dad made me do it when I was 16 as he watched over me. Williams is not going to learn a darn thing from riding the pine and watching. The only way he progresses is if he gets out there and learns from his mistakes. To say or think otherwise is downright foolish.

Morehead state ... you make a valid point. Saltzmen could play the 2. He could also come in and play point guard. He could even play the 3. He could and should be a valuable piece to the puzzle when he returns from injury. Williams, Cozart, Chubb, Maxfield, Hines, Saltzmen, Butcher should all end up around the same amount of minutes played per game depending on the flow, imo.
If Salzman plays the 2 and Williams the Point, then the coaches son sits. Good luck. Athens needs him on the floor, he’s the ONLY college basketball player on that roster.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 pm
morehead state wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 pm Baited question. Seems like many coaches do not take a position away because of an injury. However seems like some fans and the coach are playing new pg no matter what. The question from the fans is will he ever substitute the other guard. For hoop fans the days of Soph Burrow and Luehrmans and frosh Watson and Saltzman are long gone from the hardwood and one game away from state finals. Bulldogs will improve every year with the new coach and his up tempo system. Hope to see Butcher and Chubb get a lot more time this season.
Correction, Athens was NEVER one game away from the State Finals. Has never happened! Now, Warren, yeah, we walked that dog, and left you guys sitting behind the fenced in yard on a short tether.
Didn't Mike Wren's team back in the day get real close? Lost to Columbus South by 2 points? Thought that was state semi's, but I could be mistaken. May have been regional finals.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nope. Just checked.

The Plains Athens has NEVER been to the state tournament.

Blah

thebarlowbandit
All State

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:07 pm Nope. Just checked.

Blah
Why would you doubt me;-) the original poster in another thread has already shown how bad they are with facts.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Please take this to another thread. Has nothing to do with this thread.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:21 pm Please take this to another thread. Has nothing to do with this thread.
It was only three posts and I was asking a question.

hardly getting off topic.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:21 pm Please take this to another thread. Has nothing to do with this thread.
Agreed. This is getting Absurd. People throwing out Blanket accusations just cause they don't like Athens or The Coach. Have no clue what they are talking about. Seems like these are Disparaging comments toward a Coach who has no way to defend himself.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

The last dozen post has had nothing to do with the game it self . If I'm wrong I apologize . Just thought it better suit Athens strength and weakness thread. Sorry Dog.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 pm
Agreed. This is getting Absurd. People throwing out Blanket accusations just cause they don't like Athens or The Coach. Have no clue what they are talking about. Seems like these are Disparaging comments toward a Coach who has no way to defend himself.
Kinda like when that Skinner fellow used to get grilled on here relentlessly and then some angry parents got their way...now they probably want to take back those things.
Last edited by HamPorter on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm The last dozen post has had nothing to do with the game it self . If I'm wrong I apologize . Just thought it better suit Athens strength and weakness thread. Sorry Dog.
I thought you meant the posts about the state tournament appearances ... lol

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

WOW! What a dumpster fire!

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:07 pm Nope. Just checked.

Blah
Athens High School made the Regional tournament in 1965 - losing to Columbus South 50-48 in the Sweet 16.

South later defeated Eastmoor 76-65 to advance to the state tournament, beat Akron Central 65-50 in the state semi-final, and defeated Cincinnati St. Xavier 54-53 to win the Class AA state title.

At the time, there were two divisions and only 8 teams went to Columbus.

Albany made the Final Four in class A (Small school division), where they lost to West Salem Northwestern 50-41. Albany finished 25-2 that season. Northwestern defeated Springboro 55-45 to claim the small school crown.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

VQ- This is a revenue model that was used in both the Varsity Baseball and Varsity Basketball at Athens - 1. Daddy becomes coach. 2. Charge your own players in the offseason for "instruction". 3. Make it clear to players down to 3rd grade that paying for these extras will "improve" your chances of being a varsity player 4. Profit 5. Rinse and repeat until YOUR son graduates. 6. Leave your job at the High School when your son leaves.

It was the case in baseball and will be in basketball.

Do you think it is ethical or moral for the HS coach to profit off of providing "private coaching" to the kids in their program?
This is the second time this week that someone has alerted me about something like this being posted in this forum. Maybe we should sit down together if you'd like to dialogue about the last 13 years of my life in context of baseball coaching. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Chris Stewart

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

moonshine wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 am
noreply66 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 pm Down grading a high school coach or player isn't allowed on here. Words should be used very careful on why a player is not playing either.
Like I have said b-4 leave the student/athletes alone! BUT Coaches are fair game since we as TAXPAYERS are paying there salaries and they should be held accountable! :mrgreen:
Oh god, here we go again: moonshine thinks the residual of his weekly paycheck that go towards public education entitles him to snipe at coaches from his home office (“because they’re public employees”.) Absolutely brilliant logic, shine. Maybe you should take up a billboard on Rt 33 about how the football team went 2-8 and call for the coaches head because “muh tax dollarz”. Maybe you should launch a populist movement against your local government come next November “cause I pay taxes”, because obviously the .0014 per $1 earned (or whatever minute deduction from your paycheck) is too much for you to part ways with.

And hell, while we’re at it, maybe you should get in the business of student-bashing when the W-L records and OGT scores aren’t to your liking. After all, you pay for their materials right? Your paying of a fair share toward public resources is too great of a sacrifice for you, isn’t it?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am
moonshine wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 am
noreply66 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 pm Down grading a high school coach or player isn't allowed on here. Words should be used very careful on why a player is not playing either.
Like I have said b-4 leave the student/athletes alone! BUT Coaches are fair game since we as TAXPAYERS are paying there salaries and they should be held accountable! :mrgreen:
Oh god, here we go again: moonshine thinks the residual of his weekly paycheck that go towards public education entitles him to snipe at coaches from his home office (“because they’re public employees”.) Absolutely brilliant logic, shine. Maybe you should take up a billboard on Rt 33 about how the football team went 2-8 and call for the coaches head because “muh tax dollarz”. Maybe you should launch a populist movement against your local government come next November “cause I pay taxes”, because obviously the .0014 per $1 earned (or whatever minute deduction from your paycheck) is too much for you to part ways with.

And hell, while we’re at it, maybe you should get in the business of student-bashing when the W-L records and OGT scores aren’t to your liking. After all, you pay for their materials right? Your paying of a fair share toward public resources is too great of a sacrifice for you, isn’t it?
Sound like a LIBERIAL! :mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”