Chesapeake Coach

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Chesapeake Coach

Post by 93Bulldog »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 am
ZOLA wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:56 am I got to see the Panthers play at the Big E classic and would like to gauge the frustration of the panther fans due to the state of their basketball program? Coach Davis all though IMO a good coach has a sour demeanor when he coaches. I hear there is some decent talent walking the halls at Chesapeake that refuse to play for him because he has no respect for his players. Last year Chesapeake had a losing season and honestly probably more of the same this year. That is not a knock on the kids that are playing they show up and play hard but what can be done differently for the program to get out of the rut it is in? I hate seeing the Panthers down in SEO because they have been a staple of quality basketball for so long.
You are an idiot and a classic example of whats wrong in this great nation. Kids tend towards finding ways to avoid work. Those kids and their parents who are walking the halls and wont play are faceless cowards. And you are one of them. Instead of being part of the problem why dont you try being part of the solution.
+1000

Championship07
Riding the Bench

Post by Championship07 »

golfis4me wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm Why is this post ridiculous? Their basketball participation is way down. Their performance is way down. More than a handful of student-athletes over the last few years have explicitly said they didn't play because of Davis' demeaning style. Their is a difference between "hard nosed"/"old school"/"disciplinary" and humiliation. Not showing up to LOI signings. The veneer on that state finals appearance is wearing off.
Name some then? Sounds like a disgruntled parent to me...

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

Championship07 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 am
golfis4me wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm Why is this post ridiculous? Their basketball participation is way down. Their performance is way down. More than a handful of student-athletes over the last few years have explicitly said they didn't play because of Davis' demeaning style. Their is a difference between "hard nosed"/"old school"/"disciplinary" and humiliation. Not showing up to LOI signings. The veneer on that state finals appearance is wearing off.
Name some then? Sounds like a disgruntled parent to me...
Not a parent, just a close observer. Name names? That does nothing to validate/invalidate that statement and I'm not going to speak for any of those young men.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my critique directed solely at Davis. The last sentence was much.

Chesapeake beloved Norm and he straddled the line of disciplined and crazy in his heyday. Ive listened to some great stories about some of the practices from the 90's. The acceptance that Norm enjoyed is befuddling considering the resistance that Davis faces from some of the Peake faithful despite their similar coaching styles. Social norms have changed since the 90's however.

I do believe a discussion on the state of that program is warranted. The community is not supporting this program like it used to. Even in 2014-2016, when they were reaching regional semis (finals?), the crowd size was no where near what it was compared to previous years. The Lynchburg-Clay game at the convo 2 years ago stands out in my mind as an example.

Catchup13
Riding the Bench

Post by Catchup13 »

This post is an exact reflection of where we are as a society. I’m sad now.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fans not showing up for a regional final is not a coaching or program problem ... That's a community problem.

It's worth noting, a lot of schools no longer have big crowds at the convo.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

This thread is laughable. Majority of the time it's not the coach, it's the parents crazy misconception that the reason why they aren't winning games is because of the coach. Not because little johnny and his friends just aren't as good as the parents think they are. It's not the X's and O's...it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. Davis is a tough coach, if the kids can't take it..that's their own fault. Man up. Getting a butt ripping isn't going to kill you. Don't take it personal. Coaches try to push you to make you better. If you take offense to that, again, that's your own fault. So what, the success hasn't been there the last two years. It happens at every school. You won't contend for Regional Championships every year..

Making offers you can't refuse
reajla
Waterboy

Post by reajla »

This is laughable 😂! Kids are soft today and because of the “everybody gets a trophy” mentality they quit when things get tough. All great coaches will push you to get the best out of you. Nothing in life is easy! These kids that quit so easily will struggle in life when things get tough or they get a job and work for someone they don’t like. You gotta suck it up buttercup!
GO PEAKE

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 am Fans not showing up for a regional final is not a coaching or program problem ... That's a community problem.

It's worth noting, a lot of schools no longer have big crowds at the convo.
Exactly. Most folks would rather save the time and money and listen on the radio. Not to mention Chesapeake fans have been so spoiled that they don’t show up until district finals at least.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

The days of Chesapeake being a basketball power are over. But, this crap of people saying it's the kids and parents fault is a bunch of bull. You people sit on the outside looking in have no idea what you are talking about. If they are so lazy then why are they being recruited to play football at the next level? :shock: :shock: Ryan is a good guy and a good coach who gets out of kids what they have in them nothing more. Norm pulled out that little extra from every kid, they wanted to go to war for him. Different style not different kids. Chesapeake kids are awesome and so are their parents. So until you know what you are talking about you need to shut the he** up about my town.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Davis has got more out of the Chesapeake kids than any other coach in the school’s history. A Final Four appearance which is something “NO” other Chesapeake coach has EVER done. That is a FACT .... not my opinion.

Unfortunately Chesapeake Community has changed. Maybe it is time for Coach Davis to move on. If people think the Chesapeake kids and parents have not changed, it is a losing battle. People have to want to change before they can change.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

I have some Chesapeake friends that tell me even a couple members of the board have expressed their dissatisfaction with Davis. This is a community issue, definitely not a coaching one. Let Davis go and that program will be in shambles

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Coach Davis has his enemies just like other coaches have. There are people who would love to see him leave, then are a core group like myself that are big supporters.
Attendance, we have a lot of fair weather fans. If you want more people jump in and join the boosters or the Beasts committee and help out. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.
Parents, we have parents who dislike coach Davis. When some of their kids played they wanted to coach the kid from the stands instead of letting Davis coach. If he is a bad coach how did we have several 1st team, 2nd team and honorable mention all state.
Coach Davis cares about his players as he wants them to make it not just on the court but also in life and after graduation.
Chesapeake doesn't have the population that other schools have. This year we had more kids than we have had for a long time so things are changing.
We have a good group of kids coming thru so in a year or so watch out The Peake will be back and with Coach Davis at the helm.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:56 pm Coach Davis has his enemies just like other coaches have. There are people who would love to see him leave, then are a core group like myself that are big supporters.
Attendance, we have a lot of fair weather fans. If you want more people jump in and join the boosters or the Beasts committee and help out. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.
Parents, we have parents who dislike coach Davis. When some of their kids played they wanted to coach the kid from the stands instead of letting Davis coach. If he is a bad coach how did we have several 1st team, 2nd team and honorable mention all state.
Coach Davis cares about his players as he wants them to make it not just on the court but also in life and after graduation.
Chesapeake doesn't have the population that other schools have. This year we had more kids than we have had for a long time so things are changing.
We have a good group of kids coming thru so in a year or so watch out The Peake will be back and with Coach Davis at the helm.
... well said peake71 ...

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Just for the record, I like his style of coaching
OLD SCHOOL need more like him jmo

You can't handle the truth
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Really good coach. I was surprised by how far they advanced on their last deep run, which is definitely a sign of a good coach, IMO.

Return to “Boys Basketball”