Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

Post by bobcats94 »

So your saying that both kids on the team this year as well as many kids in previous years were held back because of academics not athletics :roll: Yes in some cases this is true and in some cases you have a very immature kid that needs this but I think we all know this isn’t the case here. No of course they don’t get 5 years of high school basketball but an extra year of 8th grade and being always an extra year ahead makes a huge difference in most cases. For example look at most scoring averages between a freshman and sophomore, it’s hard to argue in anyway that holding a kid back doesn’t make a difference athletically. And agree 110% on paying for the re-education.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’d like to add that I graduated at 17 and will get to retire at age 77 instead of 78 or 79. No one looks at that side of it :D

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bobcats94 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm So your saying that both kids on the team this year as well as many kids in previous years were held back because of academics not athletics :roll: Yes in some cases this is true and in some cases you have a very immature kid that needs this but I think we all know this isn’t the case here. No of course they don’t get 5 years of high school basketball but an extra year of 8th grade and being always an extra year ahead makes a huge difference in most cases. For example look at most scoring averages between a freshman and sophomore, it’s hard to argue in anyway that holding a kid back doesn’t make a difference athletically. And agree 110% on paying for the re-education.
This argument is as old as the Bible. Nobody said athletics didn't play a part but that's not the only benefit. All I'm saying.

I too will get to retire early Ironman92

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm I’d like to add that I graduated at 17 and will get to retire at age 77 instead of 78 or 79. No one looks at that side of it :D
17 year old graduate also, short and fast but not a scorer. Extra year in eighth grade would have helped me. Im sure that I would have been stronger core wise had I stayed back. I also would have been 18 instead of 17 on my senior trip to Orlando. That would have been a major change .That was legal age when I graduated.haha!

WHS2000
Waterboy

Post by WHS2000 »

I'm interested too see Eastern's guards vs. Waverly's pressure tonight should be a fun night.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Should be halftime of consolation game...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 pm
bobcats94 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm So your saying that both kids on the team this year as well as many kids in previous years were held back because of academics not athletics :roll: Yes in some cases this is true and in some cases you have a very immature kid that needs this but I think we all know this isn’t the case here. No of course they don’t get 5 years of high school basketball but an extra year of 8th grade and being always an extra year ahead makes a huge difference in most cases. For example look at most scoring averages between a freshman and sophomore, it’s hard to argue in anyway that holding a kid back doesn’t make a difference athletically. And agree 110% on paying for the re-education.
This argument is as old as the Bible. Nobody said athletics didn't play a part but that's not the only benefit. All I'm saying.

I too will get to retire early Ironman92
The Bible is a great book. Glad it's still here.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 pm Should be halftime of consolation game...
Piketon up big. Jumped out by 21 after 1, but Western clawed back before falling apart again to end the half.

Piketon 40
Western 22

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 pm Should be halftime of consolation game...
Piketon up big. Jumped out by 21 after 1, but Western clawed back before falling apart again to end the half.

Piketon 40
Western 22
Man o man....Western must really be getting their fingers on the ball

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Hahaha! Yessssss!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Final?

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Western 42
Piketon 71

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

OldTiger wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 pm Western 42
Piketon 71
Thanks

Any scoring stats?

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

smurray will prob have them later tonight.

End of 1st
Waverly 14
Eastern 4

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Appreciate the updates

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Tigerfan92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:15 pm Always seem to be good games at the classic. I thought Eastern looked like the much better team than Piketon last night but it was the 1st time I saw either team play. The eye test of the Waverly-Western game appeared the Tigers should have won by 30. Give Western kids credit for playing hard till the end and give coach Fitch credit for having them ready to play. Waverly needs to play alot better tonight if they want to win. Piketon does seem to take advantage of allowing kids to be held back. I always joked it was the Redstreak redshirt year that gives you an extra year of high school sports. Turns what would have been remembered as nice high school players into 1000 pt scorers and being considered "real deals". Wheelersburg does it all the time. Look at there sports program. Like it or not, it is legal. Only issue I have is the parents should pay the state back the $8000 dollars it spends to reeducate your 8th graders. Which may be why Waverly doesn't allow it. Actually lost players because they wouldn't.
I will warn you. Do not say Red Shirt or say a kid is 19 or the Millenials will have your head on here. I'm also surprised this comment hasn't been deleted yet. You can't state Facts in this Forum either. I'm sure your post will be deleted soon.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:14 pm
Tigerfan92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:15 pm Always seem to be good games at the classic. I thought Eastern looked like the much better team than Piketon last night but it was the 1st time I saw either team play. The eye test of the Waverly-Western game appeared the Tigers should have won by 30. Give Western kids credit for playing hard till the end and give coach Fitch credit for having them ready to play. Waverly needs to play alot better tonight if they want to win. Piketon does seem to take advantage of allowing kids to be held back. I always joked it was the Redstreak redshirt year that gives you an extra year of high school sports. Turns what would have been remembered as nice high school players into 1000 pt scorers and being considered "real deals". Wheelersburg does it all the time. Look at there sports program. Like it or not, it is legal. Only issue I have is the parents should pay the state back the $8000 dollars it spends to reeducate your 8th graders. Which may be why Waverly doesn't allow it. Actually lost players because they wouldn't.
I will warn you. Do not say Red Shirt or say a kid is 19 or the Millenials will have your head on here. I'm also surprised this comment hasn't been deleted yet. You can't state Facts in this Forum either. I'm sure your post will be deleted soon.
THERE HE IS!!!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:47 pm
OldTiger wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 pm Western 42
Piketon 71
Thanks

Any scoring stats?
Purdue 17
Little 13
Veach 12
Taylor 8
Blanton 8
Reader 8

Missing a few

We had a few more

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

At the half

Waverly 29
Eastern 23

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Little only had 13? Felt like he had more. Had a really nice game all around. Plays more well rounded than someone in only their 8th varsity game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”