VC @ Athens 1/9

VisionQuest
All State

Re: VC @ Athens 1/9

Post by VisionQuest »

Everyone likes Hynes, I am one of his biggest fans. I just wish people would realize his name is spelled HYNES not HINES. Lol.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:21 pm Everyone likes Hynes, I am one of his biggest fans. I just wish people would realize his name is spelled HYNES not HINES. Lol.
Sorry.....
Dually noted

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

They use the defense they need to use. They’ll do their thing and if they need to adjust they will. They did against Jackson.
How did Nevan Yates look? Was he able to make any impact in the game against Jackson?
As a spectator and not a great x’s and o’s basketball guy....I honestly didn’t notice him much. I was watching the Spohn/Naylan Yates matchup very closely and also watching Jackson in man keep Speakman out of the lane. I know this....if he wasn’t playing solid defense and doing his role offensively that Coach Combs would not have had him out there. VC played a pretty solid game and played their best defense when it mattered the most.

I will say Speakman looked ridiculously quick (even though we did a good job on him), and Naylan Yates looked unstoppable when he needed to get VC a bucket. I watched Carson Spohn shut down Mattox when it really mattered....but with the help of Coach Combs, he couldn’t stop Yates. Their center played with more of a chip on his shoulder than I had seen and had a nice game and had several good plays defensively as well.

Their defense is better than their offense IMO...and their offense is good
Mattox had 23 points that game in the first 3 quarters, if fry would have put Mattox at PG during the 4th period the faceguarding would not have worked.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 pm How did Nevan Yates look? Was he able to make any impact in the game against Jackson?
As a spectator and not a great x’s and o’s basketball guy....I honestly didn’t notice him much. I was watching the Spohn/Naylan Yates matchup very closely and also watching Jackson in man keep Speakman out of the lane. I know this....if he wasn’t playing solid defense and doing his role offensively that Coach Combs would not have had him out there. VC played a pretty solid game and played their best defense when it mattered the most.

I will say Speakman looked ridiculously quick (even though we did a good job on him), and Naylan Yates looked unstoppable when he needed to get VC a bucket. I watched Carson Spohn shut down Mattox when it really mattered....but with the help of Coach Combs, he couldn’t stop Yates. Their center played with more of a chip on his shoulder than I had seen and had a nice game and had several good plays defensively as well.

Mattox had 23 points that game in the first 3 quarters, if fry would have put Mattox at PG during the 4th period the faceguarding would not have worked.
I can’t disagree with you because we’ll never know. Combs helped Yates get his shots off without making him PG. Your boy scored at will against Jackson and our defense definitely isn’t bad (better now than it was) and when they had Spohn follow him everywhere...we made our comeback to grab the win.

tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I can’t disagree with you because we’ll never know. Combs helped Yates get his shots off without making him PG. Your boy scored at will against Jackson and our defense definitely isn’t bad (better now than it was) and when they had Spohn follow him everywhere...we made our comeback to grab the win.
It was a smart move on your coaches part to take him out of the game the 4th period. Baer was still getting in basketball shape after his injury and it was the whole teams first time playing together, we are much better now with Bartrum, Baer and Mattox working together and Darst is really coming along and led with 15 points against Alex. Wished we had another game with you all on our schedule now.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

tvc_fan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm

It was a smart move on your coaches part to take him out of the game the 4th period. Baer was still getting in basketball shape after his injury and it was the whole teams first time playing together, we are much better now with Bartrum, Baer and Mattox working together and Darst is really coming along and led with 15 points against Alex. Wished we had another game with you all on our schedule now.
Good, we are without a doubt better too

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tonight's game can be heard live on 970wath and 97.1FM or 970wath.com

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Ohio Bobcats at home. Argh!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SportsRule wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 am Ohio Bobcats at home. Argh!!
Their stupid Tuesday/Friday schedule this year is bulls***!

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

I think everyone is so sick of hearing Daddy Ball. Come on I have watched there games on TV and he doesn't treat any other player any different. I think if anything he is more harder on him than any other player. Everyone is either regrouping or a young team. I think the coach is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. So move on and let's see what happens tonight. VC is tough and you never know what can happen. With that being said lets get the WIN... GO DAWGS !!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

I know the Wellston loss stung, but man no need to unravel, pull yourselves together.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 pm If Hynes is back I know I would like to see Athens implement that Press they used against Wellston that worked so well in the 1st Quarter, seems like they had a new twist on the Press they used earlier in the season. Why they went away from that after having their best quarter all year I will never know, it had Wellston on their heels and Athens jumped out 20-9. I don't think they have anything to lose starting out with this against VC. See how it works and adjust from there. I also like the Athens Zone but more so when they do aggressive traps on the guards. That type of Zone worked well I thought toward the end of the game against Wellston but it was too little too late when they implemented it.
Warren liked that Athens Zone as well, carved that bad boy up to the tune of a big lead.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Barlow might as well just move to Athens. He only post about Athens and real estate in Athens just keeps going up. It's a win win

BBB Barlow Bandit Bulldog

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 pm Barlow might as well just move to Athens. He only post about Athens and real estate in Athens just keeps going up. It's a win win

BBB Barlow Bandit Bulldog

:lol: Or I like BBDB and we all know what DB stands for as it relates to him. :mrgreen:

moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

Anyone have Vinton County Roster?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

571147AC-9D01-48D0-9B56-20E17BC438B3.jpeg

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 am
Their stupid Tuesday/Friday schedule this year is bulls***!
I agree

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I can’t stand OU sometimes. Athens people are the best sports fans in the MAC but hard to go to both games. But probably on some kind of tv

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

VC handling them into 4th. 18 pts lead

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bburner wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:00 pm VC handling them into 4th. 18 pts lead
I saw 73-62 with 33 sec left

Return to “Boys Basketball”