Playing Time

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: Playing Time

Post by Truth&fiction »

therealNY wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:54 pm Lol. I stand corrected. However to say parents should sit down a shut up is, well ignorant.
My Dad just gave me good advice when I did not see the floor as a Jr. Work hard and do your best . Worked out was rewarded my senior year. That advice came from a WW 2 Vet that spent 3 months in a hospital in France from severe wounds so I take offense in the word IGNORANT PARENT!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

pk call me crazy. But so your coach at the end of a season does not have all your returning players schedule a meeting with him some day after no contact period. And tell them there parents are invited to attend if they want and ask questions? Then set up goals and drills for you and not check in with the kid and family if the kid wants at least a few times in the off season?

When my son attended these we were never promised more playing time. Sometimes my son did all the expected work sometimes he did not. I can tell you what my son took them too heart and was a much better ball player for it. But it didn't lead to really increased playing time because every kid took it to heart.

Same coach and all my sons coaches explained if you wanted to talk to him how to go about it. And it was never talk to me before or after game or before or after practice. It was usually contact athletic director. And the athletic director knew when coach would take meetings and set it up. But almost all coaches told you at parents meeting i won't talk to you about playing time or any other kid besides your kid unless there is bullying or something. Because all the coaches said we spend all kinds of time telling your kid what he needs to do better trust us he knows.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

imo playing time should not be discussed with a coach. The coaches are at every practice and knows what a kid can and cannot do. When I played my parents never intervened or questioned the coach. I do the same as a parent. If a parent wants to discuss how they can get better that's another story, but playing time is up to the coaching staff!

FortheWin
Riding the Bench

Post by FortheWin »

king kong wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm Try looking into your 13 year old kids eyes, who hasnt missed a practice, attended summer workouts, works in the driveway whenever possible, goes to skills camps, personal workouts and has a pretty good attitude, congratulates his teammates when they come off the floor, cheers for the team etc, and explain to him that some coaches are blind to just winning! Some of his teammates have received technicals and sat for a minute before returning, others who play have missed practices for several days in a row for various reasons and still dont lose playing time! Coach thinks he is coaching for the NBA championship, plays 1 sub unless its a blowout, then maybe a minute at the end of the game! What options do I have, you cant ask for a meeting and say why are others getting by with stuff, cant talk about other kids, and cant talk about playing time for yours! Yes, I know, only 1 year, but having to try and explain it to my child is harder than you can imagine, and I know when he looks back he wont mind that much, but it is hard now.

For all of you saying suck it up, forget you!
Same here. Mine is in 8th grade. To me Jr High is still learning and developing and there can be large differences in physical maturity and skills. My son is not the best, he knows it and I know it. But he is naturally athletic, works hard, and spends his own time practicing. He is fine with a few minutes here and there, but does not understand why some have different rules to follow.
We were told beginning of season a detention means you sit out a game. Miss practice....sit out a game. All perfectly reasonable, especially considering the behavior problems the team had last year. The star player got a detention....sat out half a game. Served detention (missing practice) and played the next day. While another boy got a detention and quit the team to avoid having the whole team punished by running.
How does a parent explain this to a child, beyond saying life is not fair, suck it up?

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

I don’t Think Parents should go high school coaches to discuss playing time . Maybe in junior high if necessary ?

In High school , other than cases of verbal abuse or bullying , the player should talk to the coach themselves.

I’m sure most coaches play who they think gives them the best chance to win . Many parents simply look at their kid through parent eyes and don’t have a realistic picture of their son or daughters ability in a sport.
I would never want to coach now a days!

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

My dad told all my coaches that if I didn't get to play he would come in and give them the asswhippin they deserved. My dad was 6'6" and built like a truck, so needless to say I got to play a lot. So I don't really understand why all you mommies and daddies are crying. Either go in and give the coach an asswhippin or stay home and shut up.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Here is my opinion for what it is worth

High school sports are not intended to make every kid feel warm and fuzzy and to receive a participation trophy. High school sports and sports, in general, are representative of life. Not everyone is going to have the same level of success in life, just as all kids are not going to have the same success in sports. Some have more talent, some simply work harder than their peers, some special kids possess both qualities. I have always believed that you show your character when things are not the way you want them. Some of my favorite teammates, and when I coached, some of my favorite players were actually the ones who saw the court very little. Being a GREAT teammate shows the type of person you are. Parents do not need to question playing time, parents need to let the kid make some choices on their own. If a kid wants to ask a coach what he can do to improve himself to see more playing time, then by all means, that kid should do that. The kid then has the decision to put in the work or not.

I come from a different era and see things differently than most nowadays. Sometimes life isn't fair, but the lessons learned through sports as we grow into adults give us the tools to deal with that. When parents take that away from kids, what are they really learning?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Fonzie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 pm Here is my opinion for what it is worth

High school sports are not intended to make every kid feel warm and fuzzy and to receive a participation trophy. High school sports and sports, in general, are representative of life. Not everyone is going to have the same level of success in life, just as all kids are not going to have the same success in sports. Some have more talent, some simply work harder than their peers, some special kids possess both qualities. I have always believed that you show your character when things are not the way you want them. Some of my favorite teammates, and when I coached, some of my favorite players were actually the ones who saw the court very little. Being a GREAT teammate shows the type of person you are. Parents do not need to question playing time, parents need to let the kid make some choices on their own. If a kid wants to ask a coach what he can do to improve himself to see more playing time, then by all means, that kid should do that. The kid then has the decision to put in the work or not.

I come from a different era and see things differently than most nowadays. Sometimes life isn't fair, but the lessons learned through sports as we grow into adults give us the tools to deal with that. When parents take that away from kids, what are they really learning?
Well said!!

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Orestes' wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm My dad told all my coaches that if I didn't get to play he would come in and give them the asswhippin they deserved. My dad was 6'6" and built like a truck, so needless to say I got to play a lot. So I don't really understand why all you mommies and daddies are crying. Either go in and give the coach an asswhippin or stay home and shut up.
Is your dad Optimus Prime?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

king kong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm
Orestes' wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm My dad told all my coaches that if I didn't get to play he would come in and give them the asswhippin they deserved. My dad was 6'6" and built like a truck, so needless to say I got to play a lot. So I don't really understand why all you mommies and daddies are crying. Either go in and give the coach an asswhippin or stay home and shut up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

king kong wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm
:lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The bigger they are the harder they fall :D

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

If a kid is playing a sport to be the big name and not just for the love of the sport, then they’re playing it for the wrong reasons.

It’s even worse if the kid is playing it for the parents and not the love of the sport.

32 minutes or no time at all, you either love the sport or you don’t.

highflyer
Riding the Bench

Post by highflyer »

Ohio needs to change how they define playing time. Take a sop. stepped up to Varsity because of pre-season injuries. Played better than expected and helped get the team a respectable record. Injuries healed and now he is reduced to a couple of minutes every other quarter. would get much more experience playing JV. But wouldn't necessarily be available for all of varsity.

Return to “Boys Basketball”