Coaching, how young is to young?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Coaching, how young is to young?

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 pm Lol this thread is 11 years old. Some names from the past on this thread. Took me a minute to figure it out.

So who are the youngest and oldest coaches now?

ZT has one of the oldest
I didn't see that. Good call. I thought this post filled up quickly. There was another coach post just recently.hahaha!

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

The Portsmouth West JV coach Cameron Hoover is young and has his squad at 6-11 this year but coached the west 8th graders (now freshman) to 2-13 maybe this shows that younger high school coaches aren’t a bad way to go. Not to mention that same 8th grade team is now 3-2 under a 20 year old Austin Opperman. So is going youger helping relate to the kids more like at west or what about Norm up at oak hill with all of the experience ??

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

when I was in high school I coached a biddy ball team and won our intramural league. I was only 16

Basketballman86
Waterboy

Post by Basketballman86 »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 pm The Portsmouth West JV coach Cameron Hoover is young and has his squad at 6-11 this year but coached the west 8th graders (now freshman) to 2-13 maybe this shows that younger high school coaches aren’t a bad way to go. Not to mention that same 8th grade team is now 3-2 under a 20 year old Austin Opperman. So is going youger helping relate to the kids more like at west or what about Norm up at oak hill with all of the experience ??
I feel like in this situation it is okay to go with a younger coach like Austin Opperman at the Freshman/JV level because of his knowledge of the game. So I don’t necessarily believe that age is a huge factor when it comes to coaching. To go along with that point Shane Zimmerman is only 19 or 20 and is the JV coach out at South Webster and has done a pretty good job as well.
Last edited by Basketballman86 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

I’m sure it works in some cases. However I think the head coach should at least be college grad age. Maybe 22 or 23 minimum in most situations . Still , being an assistant or coaching junior high or jv for several years would be a plus I would think.

Return to “Boys Basketball”