Sweet Lou Horvath?

TravisHill22
Freshman Team

Sweet Lou Horvath?

Post by TravisHill22 »

What's going on with the voice of the Ohio Bobcats?

The Flash
Varsity

Re: Sweet Lou Horvath?

Post by The Flash »

What’d you hear?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

What's wrong?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 pm What's wrong?
Nothing is wrong, member of the media threw out a cryptic tweet that has started some BS.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pol pot wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 pm What's wrong?
Nothing is wrong, member of the media threw out a cryptic tweet that has started some BS.
That’s terrible

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Which media ? ... how do I find what was "tweeted" ? ... this is fighting "stuff" - NO ONE disses the "Voice of High School Hoops" in SE Ohio ! ...

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 pm Which media ? ... how do I find what was "tweeted" ? ... this is fighting "stuff" - NO ONE disses the "Voice of High School Hoops" in SE Ohio ! ...

Here is what was tweeted:
Jason Arkley, Athens Messenger wrote: This is Lou Horvath, the PA voice in the Convo over the last few seasons. His blend of kitsch and personality 'work' for Ohio imo. If you feel the same, let Ohio Athletics know
It doesn't appear that anyone was ragging on Lou (although "kitsch" can be read in a negative context), but one of the sportswriters from the newspaper in Athens makes it sound like OU doesn't want him as the PA announcer (???)

edit: I pieced together a few of the tweets. The above is the original tweet. He then later wrote that, in the past month or so, there apparently were rumblings (amongst whom, though?) that OU athletics was looking to go in a different direction.

While I suppose advocating support for Lou (who is always awesome) can never be a bad thing, it is probably a bad idea to insinuate that OU was looking to not bring him back.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Here it is
Attachments
9BBD7878-7753-4804-B418-630F57E9631A.png

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Sweet Lou is Basketball 30 at the Convo. A treasure that we're lucky to have in the Southeast District.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Lou IS Basketball 30 - end of story ... high school athletes from 71 schools give everything they have and more to GET TO THE CONVO FOR BASKETBALL 30, to have their name announced by Lou !!! hell I go to the Convo to see LOU ! to hear LOU ! ... LOU is part of the AURA of Basketball 30 at the Convo ! ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 am Lou IS Basketball 30 - end of story ... high school athletes from 71 schools give everything they have and more to GET TO THE CONVO FOR BASKETBALL 30, to have their name announced by Lou !!! hell I go to the Convo to see LOU ! to hear LOU ! ... LOU is part of the AURA of Basketball 30 at the Convo ! ...

Well said. I'd like to hear my name get called by Sweet Lou once in the Convo. I would know then that I've arrived. :D

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The first time I visited the Convo for OHSAA tournament hoops, I came in with pretty tame expectations based on my experiences attending the Central District finals when they were formerly held at the Fairgrounds Coliseum (“The Barn”). I was blown away by the time I left for the evening. Opportune seating aplenty, excellent sound and video, but most importantly: a PA announcer who called with sincerity, who exclaimed and roared with incredible enthusiasm, and who always did his best to make playing in the Convo a special and memorable experience for all participants and fans.

The job he does as PA announcer is phenomenal. But, what’s truly greater is the charity of this man to sacrifice his time, energy and voice toward the experience of the competing 15-18 year olds, their families, their communities and basketball fans of southern Ohio.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That was a weird tweet. Jason made it sound like OU was talking about letting him go but then said they are happy with Lou. Everyone in Athens is confused

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 am That was a weird tweet. Jason made it sound like OU was talking about letting him go but then said they are happy with Lou. Everyone in Athens is confused
Correct, this is best left alone.

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

There is nothing like sweet Lou telling us what time it is !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am The first time I visited the Convo for OHSAA tournament hoops, I came in with pretty tame expectations based on my experiences attending the Central District finals when they were formerly held at the Fairgrounds Coliseum (“The Barn”). I was blown away by the time I left for the evening. Opportune seating aplenty, excellent sound and video, but most importantly: a PA announcer who called with sincerity, who exclaimed and roared with incredible enthusiasm, and who always did his best to make playing in the Convo a special and memorable experience for all participants and fans.

The job he does as PA announcer is phenomenal. But, what’s truly greater is the charity of this man to sacrifice his time, energy and voice toward the experience of the competing 15-18 year olds, their families, their communities and basketball fans of southern Ohio.
... great post ... going to, getting to , being in the stands, a player or coach court side - Basketball 30 IS an experience that anyone WANTS to do over and over again - LOU HORVATH has made it a "goal" for ALL players/coaches/fans alike ... it is the MECCA of Boys High School hoops in the post season - the Convo is THE perfect venue, Lou Horvath makes it an "experience" to strive to be a part of ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am The first time I visited the Convo for OHSAA tournament hoops, I came in with pretty tame expectations based on my experiences attending the Central District finals when they were formerly held at the Fairgrounds Coliseum (“The Barn”). I was blown away by the time I left for the evening. Opportune seating aplenty, excellent sound and video, but most importantly: a PA announcer who called with sincerity, who exclaimed and roared with incredible enthusiasm, and who always did his best to make playing in the Convo a special and memorable experience for all participants and fans.

Extremely well said. My first district championship game I covered was McClain beating Logan Elm by three in front of 10,000 people, with fans from both teams lining up a few hours before tipoff to get the premier seats.

The Convo is a great place to watch a game. Sweet Lou helps to give the place atmosphere with his unique call of the game, the nicknames (Torch, Big Country, etc.) and his trademark sayings, headlined by Basketball 30. You can tell he wants to make the game special for the players, coaches, families, students and communities.

The locker rooms the players get to use are very nice.

Then I went to cover my first game at the Fairgrounds a few years later, and it just couldn't hold a candle. I'll leave it at that.

PantherPride
Varsity

Post by PantherPride »

“From the 3rd ring of Saturn!!!!”

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

PantherPride wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm “From the 3rd ring of Saturn!!!!”
This!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Wayne and his group go above and beyond to make the district tournament the best in the state year after year. I love being able to go year after year and watch some great basketball in a place I basically grew up in.
Sweet Lou makes the experience all that much better!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”