2018 Cinderella teams ??

JacksonCounty101
Waterboy

2018 Cinderella teams ??

Post by JacksonCounty101 »

Any predictions on who will make a Cinderella run this year?

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: 2018 Cinderella teams ??

Post by Tartanblue »

Webster

anonymousbball
Waterboy

Post by anonymousbball »

The Portsmouth West Senators could be a team to watch out for. They’ve taken good teams down to the wire.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield has a path to do so....we’ll see

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

I could see Southeastern going on another run like they did last year. Western and West Union are very winnable games to get to the Convo

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

D2 I can’t see any team going more than 1 round beyond expectations

D3 maybe Alexander, South Point, Lynchburg Clay, Paint Valley

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

North Adams could be a sleeper in the bracket they are in.They have some size and shooters if they get hot. They also move up some reserves that went undefeated this year. They will be able to run in alot of fresh bodies.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Beucler and company are sleepers also. Specially if their big kid is back. He has his cast off now.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

South Point!!!!!! Head Coach wise and Assistant Jenkins will lead the Pointers on a tear that will be "shock and awe" in Div.3!!!!!!!!
Melanie and I will be Flying in to witness this Pointer juggernaut!!!!!!!

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

Whiteoak or Fairfield

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Fairfield is my 2nd pick to make some noise!!!!!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

D3 - I'm not sure if I would call a 5 seed a Cinderella, but since they are under .500, I'll go with South Point. They have the guard play to handle Piketon's pressure if they get past Alexander.

D4 - South Webster, Fairfield would be my picks, even though I don't think I would consider either big underdogs in their matchups. D4 lends itself to upsets because of the lack of homework the coaches tend to do in their seeding process.

D2 - Zane Trace. They seem to have lost their early season confidence and mojo a bit, but Coach K did roll off like 5 straight District titles at one point, so he knows how to win come tournament time. They are in an extremely difficult bracket, but play a deliberate style, have good length, and excellent PG play, which can easily turn into postseason success.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am D3 - I'm not sure if I would call a 5 seed a Cinderella, but since they are under .500, I'll go with South Point. They have the guard play to handle Piketon's pressure if they get past Alexander.

D4 - South Webster, Fairfield would be my picks, even though I don't think I would consider either big underdogs in their matchups. D4 lends itself to upsets because of the lack of homework the coaches tend to do in their seeding process.

D2 - Zane Trace. They seem to have lost their early season confidence and mojo a bit, but Coach K did roll off like 5 straight District titles at one point, so he knows how to win come tournament time. They are in an extremely difficult bracket, but play a deliberate style, have good length, and excellent PG play, which can easily turn into postseason success.
Absolutely agree with Dani on Southpoint. Was telling my son last night that was the team of the lower seeded teams that scared me the most.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

After reviewing the brackets I see the following:

D4 - South Webster and Fairfield got good draws. I’d actually think both of those “higher seeds” are the favorite. Webster will have Blevins back soon who’s the best player in SEOH D4, and Fairfield will face a New Boston team who’s struggling and just lost to Green, West, and slaughtered by Eastern Pike.

D3 - South Point for sure. Eastern Brown if healthy. Maybe Portsmouth but I can’t see them beating Wheelersburg

D2 - Honestly, nobody. The top 2 seeds on each side are very strong - I would venture to say that D2 is the most top heavy bracket in SE Ohio.

I would also say that other than the top of D2, SE Ohio Basketball is as down as I can remember. Oak Hill was the clear favorite in D3 but just got shellacked by Burg. Coal Grove was the favorite in D4 and just got beat by a very down Ironton squad.

Other than Fairland winning the district in D2, I wouldn’t put money on ANY other team to win the District in any division because it’s wide open.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
letsgo
Waterboy

Post by letsgo »

Let's break this down.

D2 - Really difficult to predict, because the top seeds are so dominant. If I was forced to choose, I'd pick Zane Trace, but for no particular reason.

Finals winners - Fairfield Union, Unioto

D3 - I see a lot of South Point posts, but I disagree here. I would only be threatened by their PG, and nothing else. I don't think they've beaten a team with a winning record and they have a few bas losses. Their team last year was better as a 6 seed. My pick is Southeastern. I can see them playing Eastern Pike in the D-Semi's before being beat.

Finals winners - Wheelersburg, Oak Hill

D4 - Fairfield. Great draw, IMO. They matchup well in their first two potential games.

Finals winners - Southern, Trimble

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

letsgo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am Let's break this down.

D2 - Really difficult to predict, because the top seeds are so dominant. If I was forced to choose, I'd pick Zane Trace, but for no particular reason.

Finals winners - Fairfield Union, Unioto

D3 - I see a lot of South Point posts, but I disagree here. I would only be threatened by their PG, and nothing else. I don't think they've beaten a team with a winning record and they have a few bas losses. Their team last year was better as a 6 seed. My pick is Southeastern. I can see them playing Eastern Pike in the D-Semi's before being beat.

Finals winners - Wheelersburg, Oak Hill

D4 - Fairfield. Great draw, IMO. They matchup well in their first two potential games.

Finals winners - Southern, Trimble
Good breakdown. I also picked Southeastern as my sleeper in D3. My only disagreement is I think Coal Grove will best Southern

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

It would be very unlikely for a SE team to mimic the post season they had last year. They have been getting their brains beat in this last half the season and some lopsided losses to some not very good teams. I'm pulling for all my svc teams here but SE getting out of the sectionals would be a shock to me.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

mlittle wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm It would be very unlikely for a SE team to mimic the post season they had last year. They have been getting their brains beat in this last half the season and some lopsided losses to some not very good teams. I'm pulling for all my svc teams here but SE getting out of the sectionals would be a shock to me.
They finally got a Southeastern Man as their Head Coach, so they will go further. When you have a true Southeastern Man at the helm, game planning and scouting go out the window and teams bow down to the Panthers. Just wait, schools haven't realized it yet, but they are scared of Southeastern Basketball.

In reality, they have 3 senior starters from last year and a 6th man that are gone from a year ago. Only returning are the guards and Wheeler played some. And those are the 3 that can hurt you. I just can't see them beating Western with their lack of strategy.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Southeastern had quite the run last year, It was a true Cinderella story, the worst regular season record in SE history and make it to the sweet sixteen was special, it was exciting for the community and fun to follow. They graduated 3 seniors who were probably their top players from that team.
IMO. Southeastern has won as many games this year as I thought possible. Beat all the teams they should have except Huntington and somehow beat Alexander and NewHope who they shouldn’t have and did it with a senior, 3 sophomores, playing most of the time, couple broken bones to some players didn’t help either but I would think they will be competitive the next few years.
Hopefully they are competitive in their last two games against Wellston and Unioto then prepare for another tourney run. That would be tremendous.
Western will be a test, I have watched them twice once in a win against ZT and the other against PV that they should have won. It will be a battle but I like the match up. A definite underdog but I do think the winner of the Southeastern/ Western game will beat West Union and earn a trip to the Convo.

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

I’m going to say Western Pike may surprise some teams.They have decent size and have a couple of kids that have put up 30 point games. Their D has really turned the corner. Don’t sleep on them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”