40%
2. Vinton County
60%

Total votes: 77

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: (4) Vinton County vs (5) Athens

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's not like extra time can help with this match-up in terms of schematics. They play each other twice a year every year. Both teams know what the other does.

The Friday night session, btw, hasn't been cleared if I remember right. One game at 6:00, the other at 8:30. I think they say its going to be split session, but I've never really see them kick people out after game 1. I could be totally wrong though this year, IDK.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Bigman83 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:38 am VC showed some heart over @ Logan even though the score can be misleading, there’s a lot they could learn from that game. IMO if Speakman plays and adds another 10+, that’s a different ball game. If they play with the same intensity they have in some games this season, for example, Zane Trace, Nelsonville when Speakman went out, Southeastern, etc.. then this could be a good win for them. If they come out ready to play, I think they can easily win this one. However, if they come out slow and not ready to play like the second regular season matchup @ VC or the Chillicothe game, then this could get out of reach for the Vikings.
VC is a different team without any of their starters . Even with a loaded lineup still about a 15 to 20 point loss to Logan . That being said they gave Logan a much better game than Athens . Some say the Bulldogs are on a roll since a change has occurred . AS I look at their schedule I would say it is a lot easier than the first part . Should be a good game . VC in a close one .

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I'm going with Athens on this one - by 5. Chubb, Hynes, Butcher and no daddy ball, it's a solid W.

If you ain't first, you're last!
Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

I think this one is going to be battle to the last and going to come down to free throws and those left on the court after fouling out. Probably not to far off from the one who predicted and OT battle.

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm Man I don't know what more Athens has to do to get some RESPECT. Win the last 2 against Alex and Morgan and make it 10 in a Row? I doubt even then they get any. Whatever. We like being the Underdog.
What Athens has done is tremendous they have made a lot of improvement from the beginning of the season I’m excited for VC/Athens part 3

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

Speakman will be back by tournament time as far as the extended 2/3 zone they’ve seen it a couple times since and seemed to handle it very well! Key to this game is peremiter defense by the bigs they can’t let the big boy from Athens stand at the 3 point line without any pressure, and slow start if they start slow and get down after the first Vinton County has proven to get frustrated and not play well and usually end up losing the game I’m taking Vinton County by 10 on a revenge game part 3

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

MSDAAC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm Athens is on a roll with the recent change in philosophy

Gondigs
That is a great observation, and I noticed it too.

#JUSTSAYNOTODB :mrgreen:

HoopLife
Waterboy

Post by HoopLife »

Athens has been playing well lately. They’re really using their length and athleticism on both the defensive and offensive end. If Athens has a big quarter like they did the last game, VC may be in trouble. VC needs to jump on them early and stay ahead because it’s hard to get quick/quality shots against their mixture of zones.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

In the 4th quarter of the last game Speakman started to break down the Zone and get penetration for some easy layups. Hope Athens shores that up by game time.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

VC coming in after yet another TVC championship. The week off should help VC get healthy/ready for this one. I look for VC's guards to prove who the real POY's are. VC 63 Athens 48

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Combs has plenty of time to prepare--that's why VC is were they are. We should have no issue with what ever Athens throws at us. Unless we play really bad--this should not be close. We have won ugly with what we have--but 15-7 (TVC CHAMPS) with everything that has went down this year, a lot of coaches(and fans) would love to have a year like this. Go Vikes!!!!!!!! Bulldogs will never know what hit them!!!!!

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

PowerLifitingNut wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm
MSDAAC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm Athens is on a roll with the recent change in philosophy

Gondigs
That is a great observation, and I noticed it too.

#JUSTSAYNOTODB :mrgreen:
My philosophy is simple. Drink more beer. The rest takes care of itself.

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

I really like the thought of Combs and his staff having a full week to singularly focus on one opponent. I feel like that is a major advantage for the Vikings, but I'll give Coach Cozart credit, he's found the right mix for the Bulldogs and I'm sure will have them ready to play.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

After Athens beating Alexander with Terry and Athens was without Hines, I’m even more convinced Athens will win this game.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Guessing this game will solidify the changing of the guard in the TVC. Vinton has had a good run and been on top but Athens clearly is superior now and perfectly gelling. Vinton seems to be just getting by. I think their time is up here. Athens has 6 of the top 8 players. They have good size and the 2-3 zone just keeps producing wins. Maxfield is the best basketball player and if Vinton focuses on him, Butcher, Hines, Chubb will burn them. Athens will be super pumped for this final in Logan. I bet they get off to incredible 1st quarter and have a big lead at half. As with most big leads they’ll maybe drop their guard a bit and Vinton will come back and maybe within 10 to start fourth, but I really think Athens just leaves no doubt in anyone’s mind on who the best team is.

Fairland isn’t playing as great as they were. I won’t be surprised at all if they knock off Fairland, but first things first.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't smoke weed, but if I did, I want what Ed smokes.

We're playing pretty good ball, Ed. But don't ever - and I mean ever - underestimate a Combs led Vikings team in the tournament.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 pm Guessing this game will solidify the changing of the guard in the TVC. Vinton has had a good run and been on top but Athens clearly is superior now and perfectly gelling. Vinton seems to be just getting by. I think their time is up here. Athens has 6 of the top 8 players. They have good size and the 2-3 zone just keeps producing wins. Maxfield is the best basketball player and if Vinton focuses on him, Butcher, Hines, Chubb will burn them. Athens will be super pumped for this final in Logan. I bet they get off to incredible 1st quarter and have a big lead at half. As with most big leads they’ll maybe drop their guard a bit and Vinton will come back and maybe within 10 to start fourth, but I really think Athens just leaves no doubt in anyone’s mind on who the best team is.

Fairland isn’t playing as great as they were. I won’t be surprised at all if they knock off Fairland, but first things first.
Not much respect for the Vikings. These two teams are close.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm I don't smoke weed, but if I did, I want what Ed smokes.

We're playing pretty good ball, Ed. But don't ever - and I mean ever - underestimate a Combs led Vikings team in the tournament.
I haven’t smoked in 35 years and have never smoked weed. I’ve been reading this site religiously for a long long time. Athens has every ounce of steam and Vinton is good enough to stay afloat. Yates and Speakman are very good and so is Combs but it’s just clear as anything how Athens is rolling. No idea how they lost so much the first half. Definitely have improved alot. They are one of the hottest teams but it’s not anything lucky but just have figured things out. Nice size and skill and play as a team for each other. That’s hard to beat. I mean sure Vinton could beat them but I just flat out don’t see it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Just got off the phone with Vinnie the bookie from Vegas ...

Early line is Vinton County -6

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

If you look back at the 1st 2 games VC handled business except for the 2nd Q of the second game. Athens out played VC in 1 quarter out of 8.... I like VC's chances.

Return to “Boys Basketball”