Home Games for Sectionals?

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Home Games for Sectionals?

Post by BBALL99 »

Will the southeast district ever go to the format of home games for sectionals for the higher seeds?

What are the pros and cons for doing it the way we do it in the southeast district.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Re: Home Games for Sectionals?

Post by Hawks1112 »

East district does it now,the pros is it you don't have to start your sectional tournaments so soon, gives you a extra week for any makeup games,if you have any,or extra days to work some things or just give the guys time heal and rest before sectional tournaments start,I know the east first games are on Tuesday February 27 everyone plays that night and then winners come back on Friday March 2.The Conn's about new setup is you miss the old style tournament atmosphere,most of time you get see two games at same site for one ticket, I'm sure most coach's, maybe like the old way, you get to scout your next opponent right after or before your game.for me as a fan,I like the new,it kinda rewards the teams that get a higher seed a home game or two

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

I would be shocked if any player that has ever played at Waverly in the tourney would rather play a home game. I would give up home court any day to play there.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Roger Mink wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:58 am I would be shocked if any player that has ever played at Waverly in the tourney would rather play a home game. I would give up home court any day to play there.
Pretty good atmosphere huh? Really nice crowds last night and not a bad seat in the house!!!

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Playing at Waverly is def one of the pros.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

The only con for playing in Jackson for some teams is travel. But it is an impressive facility and I enjoy the trip

justpassinthru
Riding the Bench

Post by justpassinthru »

I am sure most coaches and players would rather play a home game in the tourney. Nothing like shooting in the home gym, looking for every advantage you can get in the tourney.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

In the Central District, a team could conceivably play three home games depending on the line they place themselves in. In fact, some teams will be assuming that they win out.

While it’s obviously beneficial if you’re lucky enough to get that high of a seed for first/second choice on bracket placement, it does suck for lower seeded teams that they could conceivably play round 2 (Sectional Semi-Finals) and round 3 (Sectional Finals) all on the road. So, there’s drawbacks and pluses alike with the “home gym” model.

Jumanji
Waterboy

Post by Jumanji »

I think attendence would be very low at a neutral site for most central district games.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Jumanji wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:39 pm I think attendence would be very low at a neutral site for most central district games.
Central District used to do neutral site games, with 2011-2012 being the last year of the set-up. Attendance wasn’t the primary issue, although 6pm weeknight tip-offs despite that most parents have to travel with/across the I-270 rush hour traffic flow didn’t help the cause. Rather, the issue was fewer and fewer schools were willing to make the hosting commitments.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

I could see home games for the Sectional Semifinal Games.

I don't expect the SEDAB to move Sectional Finals away from neutral sites.

Return to “Boys Basketball”