South Webster Vs Coal Grove

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: South Webster Vs Coal Grove

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Y’all don’t derail my thread or we’re gonna have words.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Well at least The Convo won’t be a deciding factor.

There were 4 teams who won Sunday. 3 of them were not in Athens the year previous. We were down 10 mid 3rd (just like at Meigs) and came back and won. I don’t think the Convocation center had much to do with the comeback. Green and Peebles beat teams who were there the year before.

We were 3-12 from 3 point land vs New Boston and still won the game. It was all about getting them to play our game and holding them to 41 after giving up 88. We held Southern to 44 the game before to win that game. Our kids have all bought into the defensive end of the court. It started with holding Federal Hocking to 27. Bockway and Blevins are long and athletic and are both playing incredible defense. Andrew Smith has done an 180 on the defensive end. Holstein and Ruth have always been good on the defensive end. Coriell had his best game defensively on Sunday. Tanner Voyers (Voiers) sp? Came in and was physical and aggressive and engaged defensively on Sunday. It was fun to watch.

I think the question is can we do the same against CG? They are built differently than the last two teams. And, unfortunately have played as good of a schedule as we have. (And were more successful).

Only 12 teams still practicing this week —- think about how big Pfloyds list is and it helps to know how many teams start in the SouthEast District. Only 12 trying to move on. Pretty cool.

Good luck to The Jeeps!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

jeepmadness wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 am I am looking for the SW vs CG BASKETBALL conversation. Any chance you fine folks can point me in the right direction? I seem to have made a wrong turn somewhere.

Webster in another barn burner. Withstood the strong winds of #2 southern. They had good shooters, disciplined and played sit down defense. Survived the teeth and claws of #3 New Boston. Scrappiest and grittiest team (by far) all year. They have 5 scorers on the floor and long and athletic.
Shiloh and the gang will be suited up and ready to exterminate the hornets. But bring your sting ointment because it’s going to be a good one.
The hornets nest comes down Saturday.
Coal Grove is head and shoulders above those other two teams you mentioned. By no means am I not saying it's possible for the Jeeps to win, it absolutely is. But Coal Grove is the best team Webster has seen in the tournament by a landslide and one of the top 3-4 teams they've seen all year.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think the key is going to be how South Webster handles pressure and physicality. Coal Grove is a team of runs, South Webster has to be able to counter their runs with runs of their own. Good news is, South Webster plays in a very physical league so they've grown accustomed to that style of play. However, after Waverly, not many teams in the SOC 2 can pressure like Coal Grove will (I'd say Waverly can/does).

More good news is, the pressure isn't on South Webster. They can play loose and free because they're not the 1 seed.

I will also say, whoever wins this game I think is the favorite in the next matchup against the other SE winner. Since Coal Grove is technically the "favorite," I'd assume Peebles and Green will be huge South Webster fans Saturday as they will hope the top seed can get knocked off heading into the next round.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:58 am
jeepmadness wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 am I am looking for the SW vs CG BASKETBALL conversation. Any chance you fine folks can point me in the right direction? I seem to have made a wrong turn somewhere.

Webster in another barn burner. Withstood the strong winds of #2 southern. They had good shooters, disciplined and played sit down defense. Survived the teeth and claws of #3 New Boston. Scrappiest and grittiest team (by far) all year. They have 5 scorers on the floor and long and athletic.
Shiloh and the gang will be suited up and ready to exterminate the hornets. But bring your sting ointment because it’s going to be a good one.
Coal Grove is head and shoulders above those other two teams you mentioned. By no means am I not saying it's possible for the Jeeps to win, it absolutely is. But Coal Grove is the best team Webster has seen in the tournament by a landslide and one of the top 3-4 teams they've seen all year.
Just disagree a little. Not by a landslide. They didn’t blow Manchester nor Miller out. I know Southern (swept Miller) and New Boston are much better than those two teams. CG is better but not drastically.

But hey it’s an opinion board. I just hope I’m right.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 am I think the key is going to be how South Webster handles pressure and physicality. Coal Grove is a team of runs, South Webster has to be able to counter their runs with runs of their own. Good news is, South Webster plays in a very physical league so they've grown accustomed to that style of play. However, after Waverly, not many teams in the SOC 2 can pressure like Coal Grove will (I'd say Waverly can/does).

More good news is, the pressure isn't on South Webster. They can play loose and free because they're not the 1 seed.

I will also say, whoever wins this game I think is the favorite in the next matchup against the other SE winner. Since Coal Grove is technically the "favorite," I'd assume Peebles and Green will be huge South Webster fans Saturday as they will hope the top seed can get knocked off heading into the next round.
Agree 100% with This.

Go Jeeps!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:58 am

Just disagree a little. Not by a landslide. They didn’t blow Manchester nor Miller out. I know Southern (swept Miller) and New Boston are much better than those toe teams. CG is better but not drastically.

But hey it’s an opinion board. I just hope I’m right.
Perhaps you are right. I will say, Coal Grove isn't the 'above and beyond' 1 seed we've seen over the years. Last year Clay was MUCH more dominant than this Coal Grove team. Waterford on the other side seemed to be much more dominant as well. If you look in the past there always seemed to be a really dominant 1 seed (Trimble a few years back, Peebles with the Justice kid, South Webster back in the day etc). I've said all year D4 is more open this year than we've seen in quite some time ---- I feel the same about March Madness coming up for college basketball but that's a whole nother conversation!

Again, Jeeps can absolutely win this game. They are, justifiably so, not the 'favorite,' but they are not a heavy underdog by any means either.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

And once again The NW sectional 3-1 vs The Meigs Sectional.

If we were in the NW sectional this year it might have been 4-0 and we would have been the 8 seed and played CG in the Sectional Finals.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 am And once again The NW sectional 3-1 vs The Meigs Sectional.

If we were in the NW sectional this year it might have been 4-0 and we would have been the 8 seed and played CG in the Sectional Finals.
Correct. Getting moved to the Meigs Sectional was great for South Webster. The Northwest Sectional was loaded last year with legitimately 8-9 good teams. This year it is still very solid and most definitely stronger than the Meigs Sectional (as it has showed this week at the Convo).

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I will add one thing. And this is for a couple guys who I’ve grown to respect this year.

New Boston won 3 games total (according to the paper) The last 3 years—- And won 16 this year. Huge switch. They were much better than people gave them credit for and now that we’ve upset them people pile on. And I guess that’s part of it —- albeit unfair.

The subtle part of Sunday was getting Conley out of the middle of the court. Think about it. I won’t say anything else.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:08 am And once again The NW sectional 3-1 vs The Meigs Sectional.

Correct. Getting moved to the Meigs Sectional was great for South Webster. The Northwest Sectional was loaded last year with legitimately 8-9 good teams. This year it is still very solid and most definitely stronger than the Meigs Sectional (as it has showed this week at the Convo).
Yes!! It did make winning The District Semi tougher though!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

proud of them guys no matter what even if Coal Grove does stomp our lights out. I don’t recall a younger group of varsity players in recent history going this far. Not to mention we took some good teams deep into the 3rd and let it slip at the end in the season. They have 10? Wins now but could have easily had 15-16 now if not for injuries and inexperience.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I've seen Coal Grove play once. Good looking athletes there. All of them have some muscle. Not necessarily true basketball players other than one kid, and he is tough. I don't think many people will give SW a chance... but you never know

The thing is: if SW loses this game...oh well. Great experience for them as they return everybody next year, plus add a couple of freshman

Making offers you can't refuse
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I picked Coal Grove before the season as a regional team in D4, and they are 1 game away from that reality. The Hornets are better than the Jeeps, I believe, having watched both teams, but I expect South Webster to give it all they have with a district title on the line.

joshwheeler
Waterboy

Post by joshwheeler »

I'll have it on coal grove live ( www.facebook.com/coalgrovelive ) if you can't make it.

as a question to another poster - what exactly is considered a blowout nowadays? when you win by 22 and 18 what is that called now?

The only thing that can derail the Hornets are the slow starts. If they come out of the game playing well, and turn it on as they usually do in the second half, they'll win by 15. (they may anyhow) If they start slow again, that's a concern. We'll see how things play out, either way it'll be another fun game to watch!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Hey Joshwheeler! I think you’re referring to me.

You are correct that 18 and 22 point victories aren’t exactly close games. I watched them both and to be honest hoped both would upset you. Manchester was tied at halftime and Miller was in the game until mid 4th so I don’t consider them blowouts. But they weren’t squeakers either.

I want The Jeeps to win though so my brain says —- those were close games!! We have a chance!! You guys definitely don’t look like The Coal Grove teams that I played against and then coached against in The 80’s and 90s.

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

I'm going to change my spread .I'll say coal grove by 25+. These hornets are ready to play

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

reds4life wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm I think Coal Grove comes in as the favorite if they don't get distracted by those goofy "Roll Coal" signs all over town. Who came up with that? Is that some poor Bama reference right in the middle of Buckeye country? Was "Go Big Grove" too expensive to print up on signs? Talented team but c'mon lol :lol:
"Roll coal " came with the new coach we have that is coaching in the north/south game this year in football if you must know.. I have one of those signs . In my yard. Don't like it . Move !!why wasn't his post deleted also. It started all of that mess .his boy must not get much playing time at coal grove

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

Change is inevitable in this small village

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:52 pm Hey Joshwheeler! I think you’re referring to me.

You are correct that 18 and 22 point victories aren’t exactly close games. I watched them both and to be honest hoped both would upset you. Manchester was tied at halftime and Miller was in the game until mid 4th so I don’t consider them blowouts. But they weren’t squeakers either.

I want The Jeeps to win though so my brain says —- those were close games!! We have a chance!! You guys definitely don’t look like The Coal Grove teams that I played against and then coached against in The 80’s and 90s.
Miller wasn't in the game till mid 4th . A 4 point half time lead turns in to a 25 point 3rd qtr. . Game was squash after the 2nd . Say what you want . This team is coming to win as sure as your team is but I'll take the grove by 25+

Return to “Boys Basketball”