Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: Division 2 Tournament Southeastern

Post by Ukfanatic »

Lucas its all good. I am glad I don't have to vote. If I did with the records being the same the way they are and with each one having beat the one and lost to the other I think it would boil down to this. Who has the best win? That would be Courthouse over Chillicothe. You are the 2. Who has the worse loss? That would be Jackson to Hillsboro. You are the 4. Waverly is in the middle with the 3.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Can’t believe nobody is talking about the 7 seed! Sheesh!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Funny story time.

Our win at VC Saturday Night was crazy.

I have 17 seconds of video from after.

Among other things ... as the teams were shaking hands this lady knocked over the last chair on our bench out of frustration. Our young manager very gently picks it up and puts it back to which she knocks the next one over in line .... video cuts out.

I was talking to our video team last night and they said if i would have seen the next 30-45 seconds this process keeps going but ALSO a young boy from THEIR side comes down and helps our manager pick them up.

There is crazy everywhere. But there’s also goodness.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm Can’t believe nobody is talking about the 7 seed! Sheesh!
The point guard from Unioto wasn’t bad last night.

I’m hoping he was exhausted. Our guards can defend!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm Can’t believe nobody is talking about the 7 seed! Sheesh!
The point guard from Unioto wasn’t bad last night.

I’m hoping he was exhausted. Our guards can defend!
Lol. He’s mine. Still trying to battle off the remnants of a flu bug but he hung in there

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

And courthouse has a nice team! Very athletic, strong guards and a manchild underneath.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

We have to win by putting you into the grinder.

Our kids had to adjust after the 10th game and it has been interesting to watch them grow.

We also lost two of our first 3 off the bench and that’s hurt depth. But goodness we have found a 6th man as O’Flaherty has figured out his way to influence a game —in the last two games he’s had more deflections and caused more havoc ... the games at VC and Unioto have been two of our best effort wise and defensively.

It was also nice to be on the road in a non league game and get a referee crew that you would see at The Convo. As one of them told Connor last night ... this is a big boy game.

Much respect.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

You can't justify putting Jackson ahead of Waverly.

Waverly has TWO better wins than any of Jackson's wins. Waverly beat #9 Athens on a neutral court and #14 Oak Hill on the road.

Jackson's best two wins are both against #17 Court House. Jackson has also lost to a lower rated team than Waverly....#38 Hillsboro. Waverly's lowest rated loss was to number #26 South Webster.

And that doesn't take into consideration that Waverly beat Jackson head to head. If two teams are remotely close in their resume, head to head results should clearly be the deciding factor.

With that being said Jackson is a terrific team. I don't want to play them again.
Last edited by toast on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 pm We have to win by putting you into the grinder.

Our kids had to adjust after the 10th game and it has been interesting to watch them grow.

We also lost two of our first 3 off the bench and that’s hurt depth. But goodness we have found a 6th man as O’Flaherty has figured out his way to influence a game —in the last two games he’s had more deflections and caused more havoc ... the games at VC and Unioto have been two of our best effort wise and defensively.

It was also nice to be on the road in a non league game and get a referee crew that you would see at The Convo. As one of them told Connor last night ... this is a big boy game.

Much respect.
I feel like they missed a few but that’s high school basketball. It’s one of the few big games we played in this year where I actually felt the referees belonged

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

toast wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:59 pm You can't justify putting Jackson ahead of Waverly.

Waverly has TWO better wins than any of Jackson's wins. Waverly beat #9 Athens on a neutral court and #14 Oak Hill on the road.

Jackson's best two wins are both against #17 Court House. Jackson has also lost to a lower rated team than Waverly....#38 Hillsboro. Waverly's lowest rated loss was to number #26 South Webster.

And that doesn't take into consideration that Waverly beat Jackson head to head. If two teams are remotely close in their resume, head to head results should clearly be the deciding factor.

With that being said Jackson is a terrific team. I don't want to play them again.
No chance Waverly jumps Jackson. zero point zero

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:55 am I think Waverly's case for the two or three becomes beat Jackson head to head and only lost by 5 at Courthouse on a night where they saw one of their teammates suffer one of the worst injuries anyone has ever seen live. There are reasons Jackson and Court House could be placed above them. It is crazy to try to figure out. But I agree with Lucas that it boils down to who your friends are. So who do you think has the most friends. Does Courthouse not get the benefit of the doubt because of a new young coach. Will the league stick together and vote in a block or will they hold grudges against each other. Will Robertson being in the Courthouse Hall of Fame get him some love. I cannot wait to see how this plays out. I agree this would be a good year to have to vote face to face.
I refrained to mention the loss at WCH and what Waverly 15-18 year olds had to witness and deal with, not wanting others on here to bash it for making excuses. It def. effected some of the Waverly players not to mention the older brother who just saw his younger brother wheeled out on a stretcher. Most horrible sports injury any of us have witnessed live and you cant tell me it didn’t effect the kids. Not making excuses, its still a 5 point road loss to a very good WCH team. We can’t say Waverly would have won otherwise - it’s still a loss.....
I’m just glad you mentioned it first UK, LOL.

It’s all good conversation.........

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:04 pm Funny story time.

Our win at VC Saturday Night was crazy.

I have 17 seconds of video from after.

Among other things ... as the teams were shaking hands this lady knocked over the last chair on our bench out of frustration. Our young manager very gently picks it up and puts it back to which she knocks the next one over in line .... video cuts out.

I was talking to our video team last night and they said if i would have seen the next 30-45 seconds this process keeps going but ALSO a young boy from THEIR side comes down and helps our manager pick them up.

There is crazy everywhere. But there’s also goodness.
They don’t like to lose down there at VC. Athens beat them a few years back down there in Overtime and I witnessed an assistant coach throw a water bottle at the Referees after the game. It was Craziest thing I ever saw.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

toast wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:59 pm You can't justify putting Jackson ahead of Waverly.

With all due respect.... if you think that anyone that has seen both teams thinks Oak Hill is truly Better than Washington.... we can’t have a civilized discussion.

He has Western at 14-4 above Washington too.

Athens is another 14-4 who has lost to their best 4 opponents. Lost at Vinton County btw.

Athens best win is at Alex.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"With all due respect.... if you think that anyone that has seen both teams thinks Oak Hill is truly Better than Washington.... we can’t have a civilized discussion.

He has Western at 14-4 above Washington too.

Athens is another 14-4 who has lost to their best 4 opponents. Lost at Vinton County btw.

Athens best win is at Alex."

I'm not claiming Oak Hill or Athens are better than Washington. I did point out that they are both ranked higher than Washington by someone who is knowledgeable.

Waverly does have wins over Athens, Oak Hill, Piketon, South Webster AND Jackson. I don't see Jackson's wins as being vastly superior.

I am claiming Waverly and Jackson's resume are very close. Certainly not enough difference in resumes to seed Jackson higher than Waverly after we beat them by 11 and lead the entire game sometimes by 18 or 20.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle...Unioto will be the #7 unless fishy stuff happens

Who do you want the #2 to be of the 3-4 potential #2 seeds?

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

How does one conference get 5 teams in one sectional? I mean a conference could stack the seeds in such a way they are all but guaranteed a shot at a District Championship (I am not saying the coaches will do that. I am saying it COULD happen.) IDK what the answer is, but this system needs a fix.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

WHSgrad2000 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm How does one conference get 5 teams in one sectional? I mean a conference could stack the seeds in such a way they are all but guaranteed a shot at a District Championship (I am not saying the coaches will do that. I am saying it COULD happen.) IDK what the answer is, but this system needs a fix.
Super sectional like every other district...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I get a little tired of the talk on some of this stuff. Hillsboro loss was a bad loss (Jackson wasn’t supposed to lose that game)....well I say Fairland was a bad loss and Fairland is way better than Hillsboro. Jackson played like balls in Chesapeake vs Fairland...night before had huge home win vs McClain. I knew driving down 93 we’d lose. That game sucked.....but everyone yells Hillsboro Hillsboro, yes a bad no loss no matter how you say it but by God Hillsboro is what? 8-11 and after losing Keets after about 5 games they took a few games to figure out what to do and when we played them....they were excellent defense was awesome, effort great and hit tough shots and just played big. Hillsboro has nicely improved and their record is pulling near Unioto. Just won at D1 Western Brown who would fare well in the SE district.

So keep trashing Hillsboro in efforts to argue a seed...but for one post I’m going to tip my cap to Coach Miles and tell him nice job this year....because he’s done a good job.

The bottom teams are improving and the gap from top to bottom has been closed a little.

Jackson didn’t play poorly last night...Jackson played like a 13–6 team on the road.

Waverly fans I’m interested. Was Waverly’s Vs Jackson effort and game one of there better games this year? Was it their best?

I watched Unioto quit at Jackson then the next night took it to Fairfield Union.

These are high school kids. 1-17 Miami Trace just beat a Matt Combs team. I’m not surprised by this. Upset, yes. But basketball is matchups and kids get motivated for different things.

Where Jackson (or Waverly) is seeded doesn’t matter, how they play does. If Jackson plays like they did against Fairland or Hillsboro or @Chillicothe....they’ll be losers in the sectionals. If they play like they did vs Unioto, Vinton County...or @Waverly, they’ll be Convo bound and have ability to win there. If Waverly plays like they did at home vs Burg they’ll be going home, that was 5 days ago.

High school kids.

I’m done with the seeding talks for this sectional. It’s been broke down ad nauseum and it’s starting to teeter on silly.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Agreed. Ironman. Nothing we can do about it anyways. Jackson is a good basketball team. waverly is a good basketball team. So is greenfield and Courthouse. 2 of those are going to have to play each other to get to districts. Done posting about it. Let’s get the draw results and then discuss the matchups. By the way I was very impressed with Jackson’s JV team. They are very good. I don’t think this will be the last year Jackson and Waverly battle it out for a district championship!

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

FWIW. Adena played and won at Hillsboro last night. I think Adena has greatly improved as this season has progressed and I thought Hillsboro was pretty good. I would definitely not overlook them in a sectional game

Return to “Boys Basketball”