Chillicothe 66 Jackson 52 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Chillicothe 66 Jackson 52 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Chillicothe 66
Jackson 52 a final

... I looked at this one as my #1 (Chillicothe) vs #3 (Jackson) ... I also looked at HOW the teams I rank got to where they are ranked - defense ... BOTH of these TEAMS fit the bill - Chillicothe averages giving up 46 ppg while the Ironmen are at 43 ppg THAT wins basketball games ...THAT makes you an Elite 8 TEAM ... to go WITH the D , a team must be able to put points on the board as well ... Coach Huffer's Cavs are at 72 ppg while Coach Morrow's Ironmen put up 64 ppg offensively BOTH offensive point totals are good for hs hoops - a closer look at the point totals offensively tells you that Jackson has 1 consistent scorer in double digits PG Caleb Wallis ... Chillcothe sports 3 consistent double digit scorers in Brandon Noel, Jayvon Maughmer and Tre Beard ... Jackson HAS more scorers than just CW for sure - Griffin Brown, Braxton Hammond, Drew Bragg & Co. BUT their points on a nightly basis is dictated by the opponents defense ... while the Cavs can count on the Big 3 every night to GET THEIRS ... last night was a case of the BIG 3 plus 1 getting theirs while the Jackson D couldn't keep the BIG 3 from getting theirs ... for the Ironmen to get THIS win a couple of the BIG 3 had to be "less than" their usual nightly output while CW had to get HIS and others needed to get MORE than their usual or at least their usual plus having a role player step up ...

... from the cheap seats we got the defense from both teams that we expected in the first 2 quarters ...

Quarter #1:

Jackson : 2/4 from 3 point land ... Chillicothe 2/4
Jackson: 2 TOs ... Chillicothe 3 TOs
Jackson: led by Wallis's 7 points ... Chillicothe led by the Cavs "plus 1" Vincent Roper 7 pts
Jackson: 2 scorers ... Chillicothe 3

Jackson 10 / Chillicothe 12 after 1

Quarter #2 :

Jackson: 1/3 triples ... Chillicothe 1/3
Jackson: 3 TOs ..... Chillicothe 4 TOs
Jackson: led by Hammond's 4 points .... Chillicothe got the BIG 3 on the board Tre Beard 9 pts/ Noel 4 /Maughmer 2
Jackson; 4 scorers .... Chillicothe 4 scorers

Chillicothe defensively held Caleb Wallis to 2 points in the 2nd (Roper) ... Chillicother in got their scoring from the BIG 3 which is what THEY need to get W's THEY have to get theirs ...

Jackson 21 / Chillicothe 29 after 2 ... the 8 point spread that never seemed to go away ...

... the 2nd half of play had Chillicothe keeping an 8-12 point differential on the score board ... both teams played solid defense, both teams showed their quickness with help down low ... both teams matched each other where it counted on the scoreboard - Jackson putting up 14 points to Chillicothe's 16 ... Jackson 35 Chillicothe 45 after 3 ... trading buckets in a game like this eventually brings the ultimate winner into play - the clock ... if you can't put up "kills" (stopping an opponent 3 straight times without them putting up points) odds are you aren't closing the gap on the board ... the Ironmen put up buckets but the size in Noel/Maughmer in the paint were the difference in the 4th as duo put up 12 points in the 4th which led to JHS having to foul down the stretch to try to find "stops/misses" ... didn't happen as Chilli went 11/13 in the 4th period from the FT line in the closing minutes ... Jackson 52 Chillicothe 66 a final ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Jackson ...

Scoring ... Caleb Wallis 17, Griffin Brown 11, Braxton Hammond 8, Drew Bragg 7, Boston Kuhn 5, Evan Spires 4
3 Pointers .... 6/19 ... Griffin Brown 3, Drew Bragg 1, Caleb Wallis 1, Boston Kuhn 1
FTs ........ 8/12
TOs ...... 11
PnP ..... 12 fgs/24 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/2 points in transition
PBck ... 1 fg/2 points on putbacks

... Jackson is still an Elite 8 team ... outstanding energy from starters through role players off the bench - outstanding defensively ... consistency from the players surrounding Caleb Wallis in the scoring column is needed to beat the best teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I like Griffin Brown (3 triples) ... the Ironmen need more from Bragg and Spires to add to what Hammond brings to the stat sheet offensively ... Unioto will bring the same defensive energy as the Ironmen - should be a dandy ... follow that one up with Wheelersburg and Minford in the next 3 days ... what a great stretch of games to see where a team stands at both ends of the floor ... best of luck to the Ironmen ...

... Pfloyd's official UN-official Napkin Stats - Chillicothe ...

Scoring ... Tre Beard 16, Brandon Noel 16, Jayvon Maughmer 12, Vincent Roper 11, Kamron Smith 7, Eli Tayler 4
3 Pointers ... 5/15 ... Kamron Smith 2, Tre Beard 2, Vincent Roper 1
FTs .... 21/23
TOs .... 13
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
PBck ... 0

... the Cavs gave a D1 powerehouse Cincinnati Moeller everything they wanted for a half of action Friday night ... the Cavs shooting 56% from the floor for the game but playing a team in Moeller who shot 76% from the floor FOR THE GAME - didn't miss a shot in the 3rd quarter ... a Cavs TEAM who has SEEN the best, played VS the best ... safe to say they are tested ... Chillicothe has the components for being an outstanding TEAM - TEAM defense, multiple player scoring, size , 3 point shooting from multiple players , a true PG who happens to also be a double digit scorer, a 6-5 player who plays from outside in, a 6-6 BIG who can go inside outside ... what do the Cavs lack or need improvement in ? from the cheap seats - more depth, missing a physical banger IN the paint - an enforcer ... D1 demands it ... are the Cavs #1 Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ? absolutely BUT they will be pushed - Zane Trace, Jackson in game 2, the U , FU add in games outside of SEO Upper Arlington, St Charles, Canal to name a few ...

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Chillicothe 66 Jackson 52 a final ...

Post by mlittle »

2 really good teams. No slight on Jackson but I didn’t think it would be this close

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... when you have a PG in Caleb Wallis who in my opinion IS the best PG in SEO - you will, the Ironmen will be in the game ... such a good player in all aspects of the game ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

He’s definitely one of the best

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

When healthy Robertson is the best point guard.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:58 pm When healthy Robertson is the best point guard.
No. He might be the best scoring guard, but he’s not a point guard.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:58 pm When healthy Robertson is the best point guard.
I’m taking your point guard over a most of them. Beard is a stud

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

HamPorter wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:15 pm
Robertson is a handful. Still going with this order.

1. Wallis
1. Beard
2. Little
3. Robertson

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:14 pm

1. Wallis
1. Beard
2. Little
3. Robertson
ONLY based on the games over the varying lengths of each's careers I go with Caleb Wallis as THE "pure" PG who handles the ball, sets the offense in motion, distributes the ball, breaks the pressure in the back court - inside/outside scorer ... love the "strength" in his game - I always have ... last year CW became THE all around PG when he developed the 3 point shot ... NOW? he's perfecting his craft ... he wins by virtue of the fact that he does it all - does it all well ... the others listed do many things well but in the games that I have seen them play over the years (depending on their length of career) Caleb Wallis leads the pack ... Seth Dennis would have been my 2nd in line, then Tre Beard ... Little, Robertson follow in that order as standouts ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:39 pm

1. Wallis
1. Beard
2. Little
3. Robertson
ONLY based on the games over the varying lengths of each's careers I go with Caleb Wallis as THE "pure" PG who handles the ball, sets the offense in motion, distributes the ball, breaks the pressure in the back court - inside/outside scorer ... love the "strength" in his game - I always have ... last year CW became THE all around PG when he developed the 3 point shot ... NOW? he's perfecting his craft ... he wins by virtue of the fact that he does it all - does it all well ... the others listed do many things well but in the games that I have seen them play over the years (depending on their length of career) Caleb Wallis leads the pack ... Seth Dennis would have been my 2nd in line, then Tre Beard ... Little, Robertson follow in that order as standouts ...
So basically agreeing with my order. Awesome, thanks Pfloyd.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mlittle wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:52 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:39 pm

1. Wallis
1. Beard
2. Little
3. Robertson
So basically agreeing with my order. Awesome, thanks Pfloyd.
Colby Swain does a really nice job too. He’s just not tasked to score much but if he was on a team where he needed to be that guy I believe he could.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Weston Browning of Peebles needs a mention in the best point guard discussion

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Here is how I look at it. Beard, Wallis, Browning all seniors, Little is age wise but only a junior. Trey is a sophomore. Trey is the best scorer in the bunch already. Trey will be the only one in this group playing D1 basketball in a couple of years. If we are in a gym picking right now to play today needing to win I will take Beard or Browning.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

😗

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:41 pm Here is how I look at it. Beard, Wallis, Browning all seniors, Little is age wise but only a junior. Trey is a sophomore. Trey is the best scorer in the bunch already. Trey will be the only one in this group playing D1 basketball in a couple of years. If we are in a gym picking right now to play today needing to win I will take Beard or Browning.
Not sure why it’s even necessary to mention age in this conversation. It doesn’t bother me because I’m used to people making excuses why he’s better than their kid. I just think it’s odd coming from you.

cavsbkb
Riding the Bench

Post by cavsbkb »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:50 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:41 pm Here is how I look at it. Beard, Wallis, Browning all seniors, Little is age wise but only a junior. Trey is a sophomore. Trey is the best scorer in the bunch already. Trey will be the only one in this group playing D1 basketball in a couple of years. If we are in a gym picking right now to play today needing to win I will take Beard or Browning.
Not sure why it’s even necessary to mention age in this conversation. It doesn’t bother me because I’m used to people making excuses why he’s better than their kid. I just think it’s odd coming from you.
I agree with UK to a certain degree here (and I am Beard's father...lol). If you compared all these guys "as sophomores" Robertson is by far the best scorer. However I think that the dynamic of the team (each one plays for) dictates the necessity to score in bunches. All 5 of the players are capable on scoring 25+ a night but does each one need to in order for their team to win? Trey Robertson was 2nd option a year ago and will be the main option from here on out. Wallis had a great scorer in Donaldson for 3 years so he was not the main option until this year. And Let me stop right there and say they have both done a hell of a job scoring and putting their teams in position to win! Little has a little bit more of a supporting cast (right now because of experience), he is the main option but doesn't have to shoot 15+ times a night in order for his team to win. Beard is in a different situation, has never been the main option or the 2nd option for that matter. he has played with 2 elite options in Brandon Noel and Jayvon Maughmer. Beard understands that you get your horses going early and often (and that is how it should be). However he only attempts 8.3 shots a game and averaging 15pts. Beard's highest scoring games are when chilly plays against teams that can match up with Noel and Maughmer.
I do not know much about Browning's supporting cast so I cannot comment on that.

So with that being said, I believe they all could be Elite scorers given the right situation.....

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Every kid's name that has been mentioned is an outstanding athlete in all phases of the game. In some cases there supporting cast can even have an effect on how successful they themselves are. The makeup of there own team can also determine how much they are expected to be able to score or be able to distribute the ball. I'm sure that most of the Coach's that have one of these fine athlete's playing for him, is not only happy but considers himself very lucky.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

cavsbkb wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:41 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:50 pm
I agree with UK to a certain degree here (and I am Beard's father...lol). If you compared all these guys "as sophomores" Robertson is by far the best scorer. However I think that the dynamic of the team (each one plays for) dictates the necessity to score in bunches. All 5 of the players are capable on scoring 25+ a night but does each one need to in order for their team to win? Trey Robertson was 2nd option a year ago and will be the main option from here on out. Wallis had a great scorer in Donaldson for 3 years so he was not the main option until this year. And Let me stop right there and say they have both done a hell of a job scoring and putting their teams in position to win! Little has a little bit more of a supporting cast (right now because of experience), he is the main option but doesn't have to shoot 15+ times a night in order for his team to win. Beard is in a different situation, has never been the main option or the 2nd option for that matter. he has played with 2 elite options in Brandon Noel and Jayvon Maughmer. Beard understands that you get your horses going early and often (and that is how it should be). However he only attempts 8.3 shots a game and averaging 15pts. Beard's highest scoring games are when chilly plays against teams that can match up with Noel and Maughmer.
I do not know much about Browning's supporting cast so I cannot comment on that.

So with that being said, I believe they all could be Elite scorers given the right situation.....
Little averaged 14 per last year on 8 ish shots per game as the go to player and he actually does need to get around 15 shots per game for us this year.

cavsbkb
Riding the Bench

Post by cavsbkb »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:53 pm Every kid's name that has been mentioned is an outstanding athlete in all phases of the game. In some cases there supporting cast can even have an effect on how successful they themselves are. The makeup of there own team can also determine how much they are expected to be able to score or be able to distribute the ball. I'm sure that most of the Coach's that have one of these fine athlete's playing for him, is not only happy but considers himself very lucky.
well said.....VetteMan

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Little really isn’t even a pg he just plays there because he is needed there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”