Best Defenses

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Best Defenses

Post by trojandave »

Tigers12: Those stats you provided are the mark of consistently good defense. I see a lot of posters who talk about how many points their team holds the opponent to but don't provide any stats to go with it.

Team A can hold Team B to 38 points for example, but if they shoot 50% with those 38 points and only committed 9 turnovers, that's not great defense, instead it might be an indication of a good old fashioned slowdown game. Conversely, Team A can hold Team B to 60 points, but Team B only shot 35% from the field, and turned the ball over 15 times. Good defense by Team A for sure, even though giving up 60 points doesn't seem like it. Team A may have played a much more uptempo game, with more possessions for each team.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

The zebras at Racine Southern are pretty lock down when they take a notion to be. They can stymie a teams best scorers. :mrgreen:

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

Racine has developed a seven man defense that they use for home games. It’s tough as he!! To beat it.

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

Baldeagle wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm Racine has developed a seven man defense that they use for home games. It’s tough as he!! To beat it.
Lol

Scottyboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Scottyboy »

Chief Kdogg wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 pm The zebras at Racine Southern are pretty lock down when they take a notion to be. They can stymie a teams best scorers. :mrgreen:
Only on their court.

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Baldeagle wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm Racine has developed a seven man defense that they use for home games. It’s tough as he!! To beat it.
You eastern homers are just mad cause my grandson is building a dynasty

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tiger12...kindly list the top 5 you’ve seen, include Waverly

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

wobycat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 am
Tigers12 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am I don't think the kids at Waverly get enough credit on this site! They have been fairly solid with all the distractions. On the average they are holding teams under 50 points per game.
Pfloyd lists are pretty good. I think burgs defense is pretty good considering they are undefeated but Floyd sees more than I do. I’m ok with it.
Agree about Wheelersburg and there defense. No big deal, but the 6'4" kid that plays inside and contests about any shot near the rim, his name is Carter McCorkle, not McCormick.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

My feeling is match ups and quality of opponents plays into this equation. If your match ups fail as in getting into foul trouble . If my team plays a lesser opponent and we chose to press and trap the whole game,then you can look like a dominant defensive team. The moment your team faces a like quality team you may find out how good your squad really or is not.
That being said Eastern Brown ,Chesapeake,Wheelersburg, always seem to be able to look at their available players,develope a scheme with their talents or lack of and develope a quality defensive team year in and year out. Bigger schools who have a luxury of having many kids to chose from can more often stick to the same defensive philosophy year in and year out. Small schools such as my Indians must develope defenses due to match ups and available athletic ability or lack of.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigers12
Waterboy

Post by Tigers12 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:05 pm Tiger12...kindly list the top 5 you’ve seen, include Waverly
No Certain order...

Chillicothe - Athletic / Disciplined / Rim Protector
Alexander - Disciplined / Rim Protector
Fairfield Union - Disciplined
Chesapeake - Hard nosed / Disciplined

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Tigers12 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 am I don't think the kids at Waverly get enough credit on this site! They have been fairly solid with all the distractions. On the average they are holding teams under 50 points per game.
Pfloyd lists are pretty good. I think burgs defense is pretty good considering they are undefeated but Floyd sees more than I do. I’m ok with it.
Agree about Wheelersburg and there defense. No big deal, but the 6'4" kid that plays inside and contests about any shot near the rim, his name is Carter McCorkle, not McCormick.
He’s a big 6’4....looks 6’5 out there. Good player. Crazy he was JV last year for 2-3 quarters

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat2015 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:40 pm My feeling is match ups and quality of opponents plays into this equation. If your match ups fail as in getting into foul trouble . If my team plays a lesser opponent and we chose to press and trap the whole game,then you can look like a dominant defensive team. The moment your team faces a like quality team you may find out how good your squad really or is not.
That being said Eastern Brown ,Chesapeake,Wheelersburg, always seem to be able to look at their available players,develope a scheme with their talents or lack of and develope a quality defensive team year in and year out. Bigger schools who have a luxury of having many kids to chose from can more often stick to the same defensive philosophy year in and year out. Small schools such as my Indians must develope defenses due to match ups and available athletic ability or lack of.

I agree with Trojan Dave and Hoopie. Defenses are going to be utilized with what you have. Available athletes play into that big time. You can’t say you’ll play man all the time or zone all the time if you don’t have the length or athleticism for them. Chesapeake is a team who has evolved over time. They used to play stingy man to man and I believe now play more of a matchup zone and press. Tempo and possessions play into it as well. Always seems like tournament games end up in the 40s and 50s regardless lol!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:06 pm

He’s a big 6’4....looks 6’5 out there. Good player. Crazy he was JV last year for 2-3 quarters
You very well may be right about him being close to 6'5". He appeared to be a little taller than the Hammond boy from OH. I also remember last year when Jackson played Burg at the Burg, he was a handful in the JV game. He's also pretty effective down low on offense if and when he does get the ball. He gives the Burg just what they need down low, he can be a load to keep off the boards.

HogLegg
Waterboy

Post by HogLegg »

Sheridan’s D is solid, just as it was last year. The FU game was getting out of hand and their D turned it into a good game.

***long tone observer, first time poster.******. That makes 29 posters, now, correct?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

HogLegg wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:46 am Sheridan’s D is solid, just as it was last year. The FU game was getting out of hand and their D turned it into a good game.

***long tone observer, first time poster.******. That makes 29 posters, now, correct?
Welcome long tone observer! 29 and counting

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

HogLegg wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:46 am Sheridan’s D is solid, just as it was last year. The FU game was getting out of hand and their D turned it into a good game.

I agree. #22 for Sheridan was fun to watch

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I fixed my mistake - although an honest one on my part - I was going through Wheelersburg in my mind - was thinking about their play vs North Adams at the Convo and Austin McCormick for NA ... McCorkle I saw in JV contests not a lot of varsity time (that I personally saw) BUT he came off the bench at the Convo ( I thought THEN he would be a very good varsity player/saw him again this past summer as the Burg played in the shoot out here in Logan - he showed again he would be an excellent big at the varsity level) ... anyway I apologize for the mix up

Return to “Boys Basketball”