Waverly @ Wheelersburg 1/7

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Waverly @ Wheelersburg 1/7

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 pm Great win by the Tigers tonight. Robertson kept taking the ball to the hole and only one time did anyone try to get a charge, which was successful.

On a side note, Burg was no way the number 1 team in the state.

Truitt has to shoot more for them to move on come playoffs. He scored 8 points in the 1st qtr and then never scored again until midway through the 3rd qtr. He has to be the go to guy for the Pirates. Ater has to recognize that and get him shots. He is there best player.

Burg missed WAY to many wide open shots in the lane. Burg was down I believe 47-31 when they went on a run to cut it to 53-52 with the ball and chucked up a three. Not a good shot there. Waverly then went on a run that a Burg couldn’t recover from.

Burg will bounce back and maybe pull out a win at Waverly.

On another side note the technical on Truitt might have been warranted but the Waverly player was running his mouth as well and got nothing. Oh well, that’s expected when you have Nichols and Throckmorton reffing a Burg game.
Shocker....Two more refs out to get Wheelersburg.

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

The play that Truitt and Futhey went at it should have resulted in a double technical, when the technical was called everyone was thinking it was on Futhey and was shocked when it was called on Truitt. Did Truitt say something? I could not tell you, the call should have been a double technical. Unfair to call that on just one player, IMO.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

_BlackBeard_ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:12 am The play that Truitt and Futhey went at it should have resulted in a double technical, when the technical was called everyone was thinking it was on Futhey and was shocked when it was called on Truitt. Did Truitt say something? I could not tell you, the call should have been a double technical. Unfair to call that on just one player, IMO.
I've watched 2 Burg games this year and in both Truitt has gotten a technical... maybe I should stay home!

Anyone know how many technicals he has had this year? Great player, just wish he'd keep his head a little more.

As for the game, I thought Waverly was the better team for all but about 5-6 minutes. They were stretching it into a blowout and then Waverly looked complacent, made silly mistakes, and couldn't put the ball in the hoop. Then the last couple minutes Robertson just decided to flat take this game over. Special player, especially for a sophomore.

It was a fun, intense, competitive game. I'm glad I came.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

Is there any team in the SE District that has more player technical fouls than Burg the past 4-5 years?

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Robertson was the star of the show, I will give him props, but Burg will win 9/10 times against this Waverly team, just had an off night.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

LB for LB, Robertson is the best player in SEO.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Seopnation wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:46 am LB for LB, Robertson is the best player in SEO.
He’s the best 120lb er I’ve seen.

GoBrownies3
Waterboy

Post by GoBrownies3 »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:28 am Robertson was the star of the show, I will give him props, but Burg will win 9/10 times against this Waverly team, just had an off night.
I guess we will see. A lot of ppl without much basketball knowledge on here saying burg “missed shots” or had an off night, but they missed shots because almost everything was contested. Waverly played an active zone majority of the game and burg never figured it out, just passed it around the perimeter and jacked 3s over top of, what look like, a bigger more athletic waverly team.

Side note: burg move of the night was scorekeeper turning off side scoreboards w 1:30 left 😂

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

GoBrownies3 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:56 am
PirateFan[69] wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:28 am Robertson was the star of the show, I will give him props, but Burg will win 9/10 times against this Waverly team, just had an off night.
I guess we will see. A lot of ppl without much basketball knowledge on here saying burg “missed shots” or had an off night, but they missed shots because almost everything was contested. Waverly played an active zone majority of the game and burg never figured it out, just passed it around the perimeter and jacked 3s over top of, what look like, a bigger more athletic waverly team.

Side note: burg move of the night was scorekeeper turning off side scoreboards w 1:30 left 😂
pretty sure they always do that with scoreboard
shots were contested but burg missed a lot of shots at the basket that they should make, contested or not
burg had some players that didn't play smart
I would have sat at least one particular burg player for his own good and the teams

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

what was Robertson's full stat line?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

_BlackBeard_ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:12 am The play that Truitt and Futhey went at it should have resulted in a double technical, when the technical was called everyone was thinking it was on Futhey and was shocked when it was called on Truitt. Did Truitt say something? I could not tell you, the call should have been a double technical. Unfair to call that on just one player, IMO.
Maybe it should have been a double T. But I'm sure Truitt had to have said something, the ref was standing literally arms length away from him. Honestly, burg is lucky Miller didn't get a T throughout the game during different times. Miller is a good player, but he'd be a lot better if he'd just play ball and not get caught up in the extras.
Seems like the past few seasons Burg has been known for getting Techs a little more than others. They seem to do poorly when it comes to controlling their emotions and let the moment get the best of them.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg didn’t play well and waverly played great. These two teams play good games on one night it’s a coin toss. Both are good.j

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

The Fighting Tigers travel to Burg Saturday should be a physical game . Hope emotions don't get in the way. GO TIGERS

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Great win tonight Tigers!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:36 am
Maybe it should have been a double T. But I'm sure Truitt had to have said something, the ref was standing literally arms length away from him. Honestly, burg is lucky Miller didn't get a T throughout the game during different times. Miller is a good player, but he'd be a lot better if he'd just play ball and not get caught up in the extras.
Seems like the past few seasons Burg has been known for getting Techs a little more than others. They seem to do poorly when it comes to controlling their emotions and let the moment get the best of them.
I forgot that Wheelersburg lost to the Waverly Angels. 🙄
Personally, I tend to overlook a little bit of excitement/taunting. But since the jabs are starting, on four different occasions, Mullet Man for Waverly was taunting as well. Once towards the Burg bench when they called a timeout and a Waverly assistant pulled him over to their bench to reprimand him. Second time on the locker room end of the Burg crowd he put his middle finger over his wagging tongue to flip off some people in the crowd. Third time he was literally dancing a little jig in the middle of the floor on the same end. Lastly he was starting to dance again at mid court but Coach Robertson yelled at him from the bench by saying “Knock it off and act like you’ve been here before!” All of which were not seen by the referees. But like I said before, personally I typically overlook things like this and chalk it up to excitement/emotion in the moment. Intense games like this are what make high school sports so much fun.

But back to the game, Waverly played great especially Robertson and Futhey. The Tigers’ defense kept the pressure on Burg most of the night, making a majority of their shots contested. It was tough to keep pace scoring wise when Waverly offense and defense were clicking. Looking forward to the rematch on February 7th. Should be another good one.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:02 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:36 am
I forgot that Wheelersburg lost to the Waverly Angels. 🙄
Personally, I tend to overlook a little bit of excitement/taunting. But since the jabs are starting, on four different occasions, Mullet Man for Waverly was taunting as well. Once towards the Burg bench when they called a timeout and a Waverly assistant pulled him over to their bench to reprimand him. Second time on the locker room end of the Burg crowd he put his middle finger over his wagging tongue to flip off some people in the crowd. Third time he was literally dancing a little jig in the middle of the floor on the same end. Lastly he was starting to dance again at mid court but Coach Robertson yelled at him from the bench by saying “Knock it off and act like you’ve been here before!” All of which were not seen by the referees. But like I said before, personally I typically overlook things like this and chalk it up to excitement/emotion in the moment. Intense games like this are what make high school sports so much fun.

But back to the game, Waverly played great especially Robertson and Futhey. The Tigers’ defense kept the pressure on Burg most of the night, making a majority of their shots contested. It was tough to keep pace scoring wise when Waverly offense and defense were clicking. Looking forward to the rematch on February 7th. Should be another good one.
Exactly why I prefer watching girls games. Just as skilled, physical play, aggressiveness, probably better shooting but none of the nonsense.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Burg still upset today

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 pm Burg still upset today
Yep the team who scored more won the game😂

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:29 pm
Just a normal year in the SOC Men’s division aka 2

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:29 pm
Just a normal year in the SOC Men’s division aka 2
I agree. Some good, intense games every year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”