Waverly @ Jackson 2/1

WHS2000grad
Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly @ Jackson 2/1

Post by WHS2000grad »

As of Wednesday evening both boys' games are still on but that could change.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Assuming Waverly's players aren't hit hard with the flu, I would imagine both teams would be wanting to get this game in before the draw since it has plenty of ramifications for the league title. Playing it after the draw puts the game dangerously close to tournament time where the teams mentality should be fully shifted towards that.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 am Assuming Waverly's players aren't hit hard with the flu, I would imagine both teams would be wanting to get this game in before the draw since it has plenty of ramifications for the league title. Playing it after the draw puts the game dangerously close to tournament time where the teams mentality should be fully shifted towards that.
I wish in 2020 we could somehow have every game in, do the draw and then do the tournament. But we can’t I guess.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 am Assuming Waverly's players aren't hit hard with the flu, I would imagine both teams would be wanting to get this game in before the draw since it has plenty of ramifications for the league title. Playing it after the draw puts the game dangerously close to tournament time where the teams mentality should be fully shifted towards that.
I wish in 2020 we could somehow have every game in, do the draw and then do the tournament. But we can’t I guess.
That leaves zero chance to scout. I don't see the coaches liking that.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The games are still on at this point but I just heard a couple players have bit hit with it so I don't know. The main reason to shut down the schools was the primary and intermediate buildings hit hard (younger children). But now its looks like the older ones are getting it.

Hoopsallday
Waterboy

Post by Hoopsallday »

Waverly by 5

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am
Most coaches get film on teams via Hudl or other sites, I don't think that would be a problem..

I don't understand why in the SE there is a 3 day window to put your profile in and another 3 day window to vote. It's 2020, no reason coaches can't post their profile on Saturday and vote by sunday at noon. Then all of next weeks games would be included.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How so? Id guess most coaches have scoured every team they might face in the tournament by now, maybe I’m wrong but I’ve seen several coaches at Jackson games that aren’t on our regular season schedule.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:21 pm

How so? Id guess most coaches have scoured every team they might face in the tournament by now, maybe I’m wrong but I’ve seen several coaches at Jackson games that aren’t on our regular season schedule.
There is a lot of value in seeing a team in person and not just film.

With the super sectional now, the field of possible match ups expands by double. I am just giving my thoughts.

Those teams that were watching Jackson could be playing the opponent or are advance scouting. However, once you get your match up, most coaches are going to want to get eyes on the 3 other teams in their "pod". JMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm

With the super sectional now, the field of possible match ups expands by double. I am just giving my thoughts.

Those teams that were watching Jackson could be playing the opponent or are advance scouting. However, once you get your match up, most coaches are going to want to get eyes on the 3 other teams in their "pod". JMO.
I appreciate your point. It is true. I feel the reason it’s done is more for facility usage, referees and other scheduling but I do not know.

So many teams have so many assistants and other coaches. I’ve seen those guys out and about too. Regardless it would be pretty equal for both teams.

I just simply hate over the years seeing teams cancel and it’s always moved to after the draw....and then after the draw teams are trying to get healthy or playing other players or whatever. “Can’t worry much about this game on Feb 14th because we start the tourney on Feb 20th....games just get canceled altogether or it’s just not the same intensity.

Oh we had an inch of snow and we can’t have teenagers driving home after the game....unless we’re playing a 4-16 team then we’ll all get our hummers out and be there an hour early. Our roads are fine but our 3rd leading scorer came down with syphilis and we need to postpone until....ah just whenever is fine, but after the draw.

I hate all the easy loopholes due to the draw date.

Play the games on your schedule unless obvious occurrence, not situational based on your needs or chances of winning.

This post isn’t a Waverly comment...this is just in general over the last several years. Waverly and about 12-15 other schools have been struck and are out or have missed. My thoughts are if it’s a road game at a non infected school and you have most of your team, play the game. If your district was out, don’t be hosting a game until back in session. If you are missing 5 of your 12 players, yeah better cancel.

If you can within reason play the game....then play the game.

Jackson hasn’t hit the 20% or whatever attendance threshold but they have a lot of flu absences and almost not enough bus drivers due to the flu, but so far good enough. Might be us next week and my stance will stay the same.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 pm

I appreciate your point. It is true. I feel the reason it’s done is more for facility usage, referees and other scheduling but I do not know.

So many teams have so many assistants and other coaches. I’ve seen those guys out and about too. Regardless it would be pretty equal for both teams.

I just simply hate over the years seeing teams cancel and it’s always moved to after the draw....and then after the draw teams are trying to get healthy or playing other players or whatever. “Can’t worry much about this game on Feb 14th because we start the tourney on Feb 20th....games just get canceled altogether or it’s just not the same intensity.

Oh we had an inch of snow and we can’t have teenagers driving home after the game....unless we’re playing a 4-16 team then we’ll all get our hummers out and be there an hour early. Our roads are fine but our 3rd leading scorer came down with syphilis and we need to postpone until....ah just whenever is fine, but after the draw.

Play the games on your schedule unless obvious occurrence, not situational based on your needs or chances of winning.

This post isn’t a Waverly comment...this is just in general over the last several years. Waverly and about 12-15 other schools have been struck and are out or have missed. My thoughts are if it’s a road game at a non infected school and you have most of your team, play the game. If your district was out, don’t be hosting a game until back in session. If you are missing 5 of your 12 players, yeah better cancel.

Jackson hasn’t hit the 20% or whatever attendance threshold but they have a lot of flu absences and almost not enough bus drivers due to the flu, but so far good enough. Might be us next week and my stance will stay the same.
We had a team say that they couldn’t play us until after the draw a few years back and it didn’t work. They were seeded where they should have been and didn’t advance in that less favorable matchup for them.

I feel like it happens way too often.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Only problem you could run into with a school being closed due to the flu is not being able to practice during that time. They don’t want anyone in the building while it is being disinfected.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Only problem you could run into with a school being closed due to the flu is not being able to practice during that time. They don’t want anyone in the building while it is being disinfected.
Yeah but we are pretty deep in the season too. Jackson didn’t have practice yesterday as a couple kids were pretty sick.

Another side might be...maybe the school district’s attendance is ok but flu bug hits 4 players on varsity ball team....wonder if coaches would go ahead and play or if some districts ball coach has the pull to get it postponed?

I do get they are just games after all but I’ve also witnessed so many times the situational postponement or cancellation happens. I just can’t stand it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking forward to reading the rundowns of this one ... pfloyd is heading to the river to watch Chesapeake vs Fairland tomorrow night, then giving the D4's some love , going to Stewart to watch Federal Hocking entertain Peebles Saturday night ... the scheduling gods need to spread these BIG time matchups out more !!! LOL ... the Wallis/ Robertson matchup will be a good one ... I keep seeing the Porter/Robertson matchup in my head when Fairland shutdown the Tigers at the Beasts of the Southeast ... Defense is a GREAT equalizer - Jackson plays some of the best around imo ... wish both teams the best !

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Game still on? I want to see this one.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vik wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 pm Game still on? I want to see this one.
On the last I heard. If I hear otherwise I’ll throw it on here.

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

I think Jackson has the upper hand. They aren’t as tall as Waverly but I think they still match up better with them than Oak Hill does by position. Waverly also had to waste a lot of energy tonight in a close win while Jackson got to watch them. That extra energy means a lot late in games

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oak Hill held Robertson to 13 points but Waverly’s bigs got them.

Should be a dandy game tomorrow in Jackson

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree with 3sUp, Jackson resting tonight and scouting Waverly gives them a big advantage.
Holding Robertson to 13 is fine when the BIG’s step up like they did tonight. Robertson penetrating and passing allowed some easy BIG’s buckets.

If Waverly comes ready to play like they did at Oak Hill tonight we’ll have a good game tomorrow night.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 pm I agree with 3sUp, Jackson resting tonight and scouting Waverly gives them a big advantage.
Holding Robertson to 13 is fine when the BIG’s step up like they did tonight. Robertson penetrating and passing allowed some easy BIG’s buckets.

If Waverly comes ready to play like they did at Oak Hill tonight we’ll have a good game tomorrow night.
Scouting moot, both coaches know the other team well

Return to “Boys Basketball”