(4) Unioto vs (5) Waverly Sat 2/22

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: (4) Unioto vs (5) Waverly Sat 2/22

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:14 pm I’d have been on here running my jibbs if we won so I’ll say that was a fun game to watch. Obviously hate that we lost but Waverly was just a couple plays better tonight. Congratulations to you all on the sectional championship now go win districts.

Not sure the rebounding numbers. Guessing that could’ve been the difference in the game as expected and also once again not many free throws for Unioto. Isaacs ankle injury late 3rd early 4th wasn’t the best of timing either. It was fun to watch Isaac and Trey playing against each other again. Hope you all enjoyed it as well.
Listened to it on the radio and I believe at half everything was pretty even with the exception of turnovers, Waverly with 7-4 on that front. However, in the 2nd half it seemed that Waverly was pulling down every big rebound in the clutch moments and Unioto went cold from the field. Free throws was close until the end when unioto was trailing.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:19 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:14 pm I’d have been on here running my jibbs if we won so I’ll say that was a fun game to watch. Obviously hate that we lost but Waverly was just a couple plays better tonight. Congratulations to you all on the sectional championship now go win districts.

Not sure the rebounding numbers. Guessing that could’ve been the difference in the game as expected and also once again not many free throws for Unioto. Isaacs ankle injury late 3rd early 4th wasn’t the best of timing either. It was fun to watch Isaac and Trey playing against each other again. Hope you all enjoyed it as well.
Listened to it on the radio and I believe at half everything was pretty even with the exception of turnovers, Waverly with 7-4 on that front. However, in the 2nd half it seemed that Waverly was pulling down every big rebound in the clutch moments and Unioto went cold from the field. Free throws was close until the end when unioto was trailing.
Yep. I feel that’s where the game was won for Waverly. We weren’t fighting for the rebounds as hard as they were. But those Waverly guys have gotten really really good at offensively rebounding the ball this year.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Great game between two teams that flat GOT AFTER each other...my kind of game! Little is as advertised. As was said before this game, a really good team went home tonight. I was surprised to see Warren get FU.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Yep. I feel that’s where the game was won for Waverly. We weren’t fighting for the rebounds as hard as they were. But those Waverly guys have gotten really really good at offensively rebounding the ball this year.
Yeah not often you'll see Trey miss both free throws but then Fuethey was able to grab the board for the put back and 1. He missed it but still that was in the 4th quarter and kept ahead.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:31 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Yeah not often you'll see Trey miss both free throws but then Fuethey was able to grab the board for the put back and 1. He missed it but still that was in the 4th quarter and kept ahead.
I believe they missed a pretty big lane violation on that one

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Two good teams fighting a war tonight and the Tigers came out on top. Missed calls went both ways - I believe they let the boys decide it.
I couple of us were saying at halftime when Little had 12 and Robertson 10 and we were down 2 that if Little scored more in the 2nd half Unioto wins, if Robertson scores more Waverly wins. Robertson scored more in the 2nd half and they both ended with 17, but Waverly's BIGS outdid Unioto's. Futhey 8, Brown 6, Smallwood 6. Smallwood with 3 BIG FT's in the closing seconds - he's been clutch from the line all year.

Waverly the highest seed remaining at #5. That says a lot about this Super Sectional. Tigers face a familiar foe in Warren who they beat first game of the year. Waverly is a much different team then they were then and I'd say Warren probably is too.
Going to enjoy this one , it's very sweet - and then start preparing for a battle in the Convo next Saturday.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 pm Two good teams fighting a war tonight and the Tigers came out on top. Missed calls went both ways - I believe they let the boys decide it.
I couple of us were saying at halftime when Little had 12 and Robertson 10 and we were down 2 that if Little scored more in the 2nd half Unioto wins, if Robertson scores more Waverly wins. Robertson scored more in the 2nd half and they both ended with 17, but Waverly's BIGS outdid Unioto's. Futhey 8, Brown 6, Smallwood 6. Smallwood with 3 BIG FT's in the closing seconds - he's been clutch from the line all year.

Waverly the highest seed remaining at #5. That says a lot about this Super Sectional. Tigers face a familiar foe in Warren who they beat first game of the year. Waverly is a much different team then they were then and I'd say Warren probably is too.
Going to enjoy this one , it's very sweet - and then start preparing for a battle in the Convo next Saturday.
Agree on everything Murray. I think re aggravating the ankle slowed him down some but I really enjoyed watching him and Trey go back and forth tonight.

4891Cats
Waterboy

Post by 4891Cats »

What's the rule about Assistant coaches standing up when the head coach is up? A warning was given but was ignored the rest of the night.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

4891Cats wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:21 pm What's the rule about Assistant coaches standing up when the head coach is up? A warning was given but was ignored the rest of the night.
if you’re under 5’6 the rule doesn’t apply

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm
4891Cats wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:21 pm What's the rule about Assistant coaches standing up when the head coach is up? A warning was given but was ignored the rest of the night.
if you’re under 5’6 the rule doesn’t apply
Lol 😆

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:09 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:00 pm Two good teams fighting a war tonight and the Tigers came out on top. Missed calls went both ways - I believe they let the boys decide it.

Agree on everything Murray. I think re aggravating the ankle slowed him down some but I really enjoyed watching him and Trey go back and forth tonight.
It was fun but nerve racking. Two players that make their teams go.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sectional Champions
Sectional Champions

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

GoBrownies3 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 pm Great game, came down to U not being able to handle the pressure late in the game. Surprised waverly waited til the 4th to start speeding them up but probably because they only play 6 guys. Robertson controlled the game and once again best player on the floor. Great win tigers!!!!
1 second half turnover. Pressure killed us. Lol

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

You know, the thing I love about Trey is he is so humble. You never see him show up an opponent or draw unnecessary attention to himself. For a kid who has so much attention focused on him, his ability to just play the game with a rare unselfish joy is inspiring. He is truly a leader by actions.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:14 pm You know, the thing I love about Trey is he is so humble. You never see him show up an opponent or draw unnecessary attention to himself. For a kid who has so much attention focused on him, his ability to just play the game with a rare unselfish joy is inspiring. He is truly a leader by actions.
Yes yes yes

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:14 pm You know, the thing I love about Trey is he is so humble. You never see him show up an opponent or draw unnecessary attention to himself. For a kid who has so much attention focused on him, his ability to just play the game with a rare unselfish joy is inspiring. He is truly a leader by actions.
Great, great kid and awesome player. I’m proud of him. Hope like hell they win a district title.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Congrats to Waverly on their win and good luck next week

One of our big keys was to take care of the basketball, which we had only 8 turnovers. We did a fairly decent job of keeping them off the glass, although Futhey’s putback was huge.

We got several good looks down the stretch, but they just didn’t fall.

Overall, a much better season than nearly everybody outside of the program thought would happen.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 pm Congrats to Waverly on their win and good luck next week

One of our big keys was to take care of the basketball, which we had only 8 turnovers. We did a fairly decent job of keeping them off the glass, although Futhey’s putback was huge.

We got several good looks down the stretch, but they just didn’t fall.

Overall, a much better season than nearly everybody outside of the program thought would happen.
Yes sir. Our season exceeded all expectations

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

The tournament season is so exciting, and yet, so heartbreaking. You hate seeing kids heartbroken...knowing some have played their last game. But, unfortunately every team but one in each division will feel that pain. Congrats to the Shermans on a great season and a great showing tonight. You fought the fight! Now let’s get fired up for the Convo...love going back to the hills of my alma mater.

porkyfan
Waterboy

Post by porkyfan »

Trey is one of the best players in southeast Ohio. Will be exciting to watch him at the convo

varsity 1000 point club 6th man

Return to “Boys Basketball”