(D3) #7 Alexander vs. #10 Adena - Sectional Final

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Re: (D3) #7 Alexander vs. #10 Adena - Sectional Final

Post by Swampfox13 »

I think part of the problem is the fact that the refs work as a crew during the season. They feel comfortable together and know where each other is going to be. During the tournament, It is my understanding that the refs are put together based on a grading system. This puts refs together that may never have worked together. I know as a coach, players that have played together usually perform better than throwing a bunch of athletes thrown together for one game. This may be reason for perceived missed calls.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: (D3) #7 Alexander vs. #10 Adena - Sectional Final

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:46 am “The controversial sequence started a minute into the fourth, when Alexander’s Luke Chapman was called for an intentional foul as the Warriors were out on a fast break.

The officials conferred at mid-court before deciding to call the foul intentional, a decision that wasn’t received well from the Spartans’ sideline.

Adena’s Cade McKee went to the foul line to shoot the free throws. While doing so, Alexander assistant coach Jordan Hill had his players huddle around him in front of their bench to discuss strategy.

Adena’s Logan Bennett followed the Spartans into the huddle to listen in, an action that led to shoves from both sides.

McKee missed the first free throw, and the officials stopped play to address the situation, ultimately telling Kearns to stay in his coaching box.

The Alexander bench again felt like it got the short end of a decision by the officiating crew, as Kearns ripped off his pull-over jacket and threw it behind the bench.

McKee made the second free throw, then Preston Sykes followed with a basket to give Adena a 32-27 lead.

The situation reached a crescendo when Alexander’s Kyler D’Augustino was whistled for an offensive foul while bringing the basketball up the court.

Kearns’ reaction to the call led to his first technical. He walked away from the officials and attempted to push over the chairs at the end of the Spartans’ bench. It was that action that led the officials to quickly issue a second technical, ejecting Kearns from the game.“
1. That is an intentional foul.

2. You may not like it, but find for me in the rule book where a player cannot occupy that spot outside the Arc. It’s a live ball and not a restricted area.

Return to “Boys Basketball”