KY High Schools To Use Coin Flip To Determine Opening Possession Instead Of Jump Ball

Omega
SEOPS H

KY High Schools To Use Coin Flip To Determine Opening Possession Instead Of Jump Ball

Post by Omega »

Kentucky High Schools to use coin flip to determine opening possession rather than a jump ball at center court:

https://www.wave3.com/2020/09/22/coin-t ... ll-games-/

Thoughts?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
knowledge
All Conference

Re: KY High Schools To Use Coin Flip To Determine Opening Possession Instead Of Jump Ball

Post by knowledge »

For my squad being young with not a lot of size, flip it! Lol, but in all seriousness, if that allows these kids to play I am all for it.

mglight88
SE

Re: KY High Schools To Use Coin Flip To Determine Opening Possession Instead Of Jump Ball

Post by mglight88 »

Wow, wonder if Ohio will adopt this method of possession?

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

Someone please tell me what the hell a coin flip has to do with covid

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Is this Covid related? Or are they just doing something different? If anything, id rather see all jump balls go to an actual jump ball situation, and do away with the arrow.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

This will defeat Covid once and for all!*

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

PistolPete7 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:06 pm Someone please tell me what the hell a coin flip has to do with covid
Nothing I have read said it was implemented to fight the contagion but I would say the contagion gave the KHSAA an opportunity to change the rule they would not have had otherwise. Given the "arrow" possession rules, I see no effect on the game aside from the diminishing of tradition.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

I think a Good Game of Rock paper Scissors would be more appropriate! do it right at mid court !

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

In all seriousness though, this is the only time during the whole game that you actually jump for possession, so does eliminating the opening tip actually affect the game? I say not. I would rather the visiting team just get the first possession as opposed to a coin flip

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Seriously?!! ... it sounds like a group of people who have a job to do that had them sitting on their hands SOOOOO they said, "We're here, we NEED to do SOMETHING!" ... THIS is the something (rolling my eyes) ... leave the game alone!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

We’ve lost our minds.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Probably to prevent concussions..... JK sorta. Or maybe it’s because only one person/team can WIN the jump ball. society can’t accept one winner and one loser, we are all winners.

The groundwork has been laid to ruin football at the pro level which is rolling downhill into the college and HS game already. Just a matter of time IMO before any sudden movement or jolting of the body is linked to concussions therefor eliminated.

This sounds covid related to me.... my question would be how is it possible to play basketball, defense in particular, without exchanging bodily fluids. Maybe this will expedite lower level bball to resemble the NBA. IE no defensive effort. Enjoy what we have while it exists guys. Second place used to be the first loser. Unhappiness with playing time used to result in our fathers saying work harder in practice. Defense and free throws used to win championships. Individual stats used to be a side note, even for MJ. The National Anthem had meaning. Freedom was earned and defended not an entitlement.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

If this is covid related, will face guarding be illegal then? Wont be able to play deny defense? So dumb. Why even do the coin flip? Just give the ball to the visiting team to start and go on. Heck, just let each team send out a player to "shoot for ball" like everyone playing pick up games used to do.

Cowboy22
Riding the Bench

Post by Cowboy22 »

I'm sure this has something to do with officials touching the basketball. They didn't want the officials in football handling the football so I see this basketball season just like football and the officials will not be touching the basketball. Whichever team has possession will take the ball out of bounds. Whichever player is shooting a free throw he will take it to the free throw line etc.

Return to “Boys Basketball”