southern ohio all time starting five

Ukfanatic
Varsity

southern ohio all time starting five

Post by Ukfanatic »

Who would your all time starting five be from southern ohio. here is mine. Mark Bayless Chuck Johnson Matt Combs Mark Cochenhour and Dante Jackson. I know that is leaving some really good players out. Garin Veris, Larry Hisle, Larry Jordan, Andrew Burleson Charlie Kitchen, Travis Robertson, Gabby Smith, Darren King, Denny Thompson and many many more.
Last edited by Ukfanatic on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Re: southern ohio all time starting five

Post by PistolPete7 »

Jeremy McCloud is beyond laughable. Too many reasons to even get into on here

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm Who would your all time starting five be from southern ohio. here is mine. Mark Bayless Chuck Johnson Matt Combs Mark Cochenhour and Jeremy Mcloud. I know that is leaving some really good players out. Garin Veris, Larry Hisle, Larry Jordan, Andrew Burleson Charlie Kitchen, Travis Robertson, Gabby Smith, Darren King, Denny Thompson and many many more.
Alot of the older guys around here say Larry Hisle is the best they ever seen.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Jeremy was a solid D4 SOC 1 player but come on... He wouldn't even be in the top 5 for the 06-07 classes (Cam Miller, Nick Aldridge, Cam Thoroughman, Dennis Gagai, Brigham Waginger, Dante Jackson just to name some players during those years.. ALL played Division 1 college basketball)

Dante is the only one I'd put on my all-time SEO list

Brett Roberts would be on it (led the nation in scoring at Morehead State)

Staker from Wheelersburg

Tanner Holden definitely deserves consideration. Burleson was a talent.

Thoroughman from Clay

Aldridge/Waginger/Loop from South Webster

Gagai from Ironton probably the best shooter I've seen locally.

Kretzer from Waverly

Lisath, Tubbs from Portsmouth

There's just so many it would honestly be near impossible for me to lock in on a top 5.. and I'm sure I'm missing many other great ones that I never had the privilege of watching... Gun to my head I'd go with:

PG - Jeff Lisath
SG - Dante Jackson
SF - Tanner Holden
PF - Andrew Burleson
C - Brett Roberts

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Very solid list. Where is the line to be considered "southern" Ohio? Maybe thrown in a Chris Beard? Some of the talent from Chillicothe? Another standout from the SOC id add would be Jerry Barlow.

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

Beau Justice was an absolute stud. Used to drive 40 mins to watch that young man play.

Swampfox13
Riding the Bench

Post by Swampfox13 »

Alot of old timers would put Rick White from Alexander. Member of a team that averaged 88 & 87 points per game.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

BigBlueNation wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm Who would your all time starting five be from southern ohio. here is mine. Mark Bayless Chuck Johnson Matt Combs Mark Cochenhour and Jeremy Mcloud. I know that is leaving some really good players out. Garin Veris, Larry Hisle, Larry Jordan, Andrew Burleson Charlie Kitchen, Travis Robertson, Gabby Smith, Darren King, Denny Thompson and many many more.
Ditto that on Hisle.

You would also have to consider "back in the day" guys like John Shoemaker from Waverly and the late Gabby Smith from Pike Western.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 am Very solid list. Where is the line to be considered "southern" Ohio? Maybe thrown in a Chris Beard? Some of the talent from Chillicothe? Another standout from the SOC id add would be Jerry Barlow.
That's a great point, Chillicothe would definitely have plenty on or near the list.

Anthony Hitchens was fantastic as he led Chillicothe to a D2 State Title. Tremendous PG for our area.

More recently both Maughmer's were awesome as well.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

Omega wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:49 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Ditto that on Hisle.

You would also have to consider "back in the day" guys like John Shoemaker from Waverly and the late Gabby Smith from Pike Western.
Shoemaker's best game in college was a 20 point (10-15 FG's) performance against defending NCAA champ and #3 ranked Marquette in the tourney.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

chillicothe and portsmouth has to dominate this list if we are being serious

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

chillicothe and portsmouth has to dominate this list if we are being serious

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Jeff Lisath
Eric Caudill
Tanner holden
Brett Roberts
Jason Cruise

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Larry Hisle
Brett Roberts
Anthony Hitchens
Dante Jackson
Beau Justice

Was worried about my outside scoring a bit so took Justice but strongly considered Bringham Waginger....the best defensive player I’ve ever seen in the SE district

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 pm Larry Hisle
Brett Roberts
Anthony Hitchens
Dante Jackson
Beau Justice

Was worried about my outside scoring a bit so took Justice but strongly considered Bringham Waginger....the best defensive player I’ve ever seen in the SE district
imagine if beau would have been 6'6" or so! Could have chosen any school in the country imo

Coach Shoe
Waterboy

Post by Coach Shoe »

Everyone mentioned above were great players. I just wanted to note that Paint Valley's Mick Shoemaker received a D1 scholarship from the University of Cincinnati and played there from 1976-1979. Also, Dylan Swingle is the SVC and Ross County's all-time leading scorer. He's currently playing at Bowling Green. Can't forget those two.

PistolPete7
Freshman Team

Post by PistolPete7 »

Coach Shoe wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:19 pm Everyone mentioned above were great players. I just wanted to note that Paint Valley's Mick Shoemaker received a D1 scholarship from the University of Cincinnati and played there from 1976-1979. Also, Dylan Swingle is the SVC and Ross County's all-time leading scorer. He's currently playing at Bowling Green. Can't forget those two.
The Big Cat was an absolute beast. A great kid off the court as well. I do believe however, had he been 6'2" or so. Nobody would have ever known his name.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Coach Shoe wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:19 pm Everyone mentioned above were great players. I just wanted to note that Paint Valley's Mick Shoemaker received a D1 scholarship from the University of Cincinnati and played there from 1976-1979. Also, Dylan Swingle is the SVC and Ross County's all-time leading scorer. He's currently playing at Bowling Green. Can't forget those two.
Both were in my considerations

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

Nick Morey ‘02 Belpre HS has to be considered. Two Quadruple Doubles in HS. One Final Four. Second All Time Leading scorer in school history. All time leader in rebounds in school history. 6’6” 215 lbs. Four-time TVC champ & one time TVC MVP. 2nd & 3rd team all-Ohio. D3 All Final-Four team. JUCO All-American & D2 All-American. Not many people remember him because he was classmates with another 1000 point scorer and three other league MVPs. I think people often forget that in the 90s/early 2000s the D3 Regional championship went through Belpre HS (along with Chesapeake & Burg).

Coach Shoe
Waterboy

Post by Coach Shoe »

PistolPete7 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:33 pm
The Big Cat was an absolute beast. A great kid off the court as well. I do believe however, had he been 6'2" or so. Nobody would have ever known his name.
Fair point, but you could say that about a lot of athletes. If Tom Brady was 5-8 we wouldn't know his name either. And there have been quite a few players over 6-8 in Ross County history but Swingle is the all-time leading scorer. I think that says a lot.

Return to “Boys Basketball”