Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Portsmouth couldn’t beat half of the SOC1 this year 🤣

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

Post by Hoopie74 »

Late getting back on here. Forgot my password. Retirement does that to you. Scanning thru ratings and comments,all I can say is coaches make a profound difference in players and teams. Peebles will be searching for guard play for the first time in perhaps 15 years. By the end of the season,they should be good. We have more size this year than we have had for years. Im trusting thatcoach Arey will get them ready. I feel he should have been ,hands down, the coach of the year in D4.back to back regional teams with many different players.
This year I look for NB to be great again. Leesburg Fairfield in my opinion will be awesome for the next 4 to 5 years. They have some team players and a system that will rebuild each year. The SHAC WILL have teams battle tested by February and nothing will surprise me. Good luck to all and lace them up. It's almost basketball 30.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Zanesville Tip Off Classic is still a go.

Athens will take on Zanesville Friday night at 7:45

Will play Olentangy or Marietta on Saturday.

The Dogs first three games of the season could be: Zanesville, Olentangy, Warren ... Ouch.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 am jc2124: Like I said above, he has treated Portsmouth like this for years......this isn't the first time that he's buried us in his rankings. You said you don't feel he has any ill feelings toward PHS. Well, I wonder about that when this has been going on for years. It's one thing to put effort into the rankings, but it's quite another to be FAIR about it. There's not one person on this site that's going to convince me that there are 39 teams better than Portsmouth in the preseason.

Even I admit that Portsmouth should not be in the top 15-20......but 40th!! Come on!! 4 starters back!! and still 40th!!

You said it will all work itself out........then why has this been going on for years?
I get what you’re saying. I don’t really know the history. My son plays for Federal Hocking, they have been basement dwellers for years. They have a hard time getting any respect. They are defending league champions yet they are ranked behind Trimble yet again. We return 4 starters and they return 1. I view it as disrespect....same as you. I do respect Pfloyd’s opinion though. He likes Howie and he really is a great coach. I love the way he coaches too. He is a legend. Fed Hock has the division 4 coach of the year....for the entire state! He can hold his own! It’s just PFloyds opinion and I think he does a great job. He is a true ambassador for the southeast Ohio. I hope your Trojans have a great year and climb in the rankings. I just hope we get the chance! Let the kids play and we will find out!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:16 pm Portsmouth couldn’t beat half of the SOC1 this year 🤣
I see this idiot still gets on here, SW would finish last in the OVC. :lol:

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Portsmouth really hasn’t been revelant since the Allison led group was there. I saw there wins and losses last year. SOC1 did beat the Trojans. Where is the athletes and basketball players at n Portsmouth. Noticed this coming group lost by 30-40 points in games and loss games by a few but no real solid wins against bigger and better teams. So I say ranked 40 to start with is being kind for the Trojans. Until they produce a solid all around game , game in and game out I wouldn’t put them any higher. I applaud pfloyd for being fair in his ratings year in and out.If pfloyd would go back to say 2015 or years Allison there I believe correct me but Portsmouth was in top 5 of his rankings but since they haven’t fielded anything close . Pfloyd I’m sure you can back up your rankings to the Portsmouth fan .PS Howie gets the most out of players year in and out

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PrimeTime: You're wrong on several points. First, we went 17-8 the year AFTER Allison graduated, won the sectional, and 16-8 the following year, 2 years after Allison. We didn't play anybody in SOC I last season, rather we beat SOCII West 59-46 and lost to Wheelersburg 69-32. We beat Piketon last year, and yet the Redstreaks are ranked way higher than we are. We lost at Fairland 75-73 in OT, the closest that any SE team has come to beating the Dragons on their homecourt in 5 years. We lost at Ironton 62-61. So we did play some very competitive basketball, just not consistently.

The rankings have nothing to do with the relevancy of the past, they have to do with fairness of today. There's no one, not you or anyone else, that is going to convince me that there are 39 teams better than Portsmouth. Are all those 39 teams more relevant than Portsmouth?

We have 4 starters back, of which 3 of them were sophomores last season, so it figures that a starting lineup of 3 sophomores is going to probably have a losing season. This season there all back, with a year of experience. I indicated back in the spring with a topic "The OVC in 2020-21" as to what Portsmouth had coming back in addition to everyone else in the OVC. In fact, there is an OVC preview on current page 1 in which I detailed each team and made predictions. So it's not like there was a mystery as to what the Trojans had coming back.

Predictions are supposed to include what players are coming back, specifically the number of starters returning. How many of those 39 teams have at least 4 starters coming back? Probably not too many, and in fact Ironton lost all 5 starters. I guess having 4 starters back doesn't mean anything according to the rankings this year.

I'll get over all this when Portsmouth is judged fairly by pfloyd.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

JC2124: I hope your son and the Lancers have a great year and all of you stay healthy.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

DAVE you can't argue with people that can't back up what they say with facts thats why i stopped coming to this site ,its mostly hate ,grudge or yes i will say it racism and or other things .........im strictly talking about this site and NOT this thread or the people that has posted.

We all know without pfloyd and his rankings SEOPS would most likely not exist, I love Matt and the hard work he puts behind this site but im just being honest

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Just because you have 4 returners back, to me means let them produce wins this year and prove they are worthy of a higher ranking. Until then they haven’t proved or earned nothing to merit a higher rating. Where do you guys want them in the top 10 just because they have 4 starters back. A years experience and 4 starters back, yes they should be better but until they produce and not get blew out by 30-40 points or take nights off and get blew out.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:16 pm Portsmouth couldn’t beat half of the SOC1 this year 🤣
I see this idiot still gets on here, SW would finish last in the OVC. :lol:
This ain’t about Webster. I’m
Not on here bitching or throwing a Trojan fit about my team being ranked 40th when they squibbed out a few wins last year and the claim to fame is losing to Fairland and beating West Portsmouth?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I’ll eat my shoe on FB live if Portsmouth wins 10 games this year

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

On that note. I guess beating Western in SOC1 by 4 or 5 another claim to fame for the Portsmouth Trojans . Like I said until they win and win consistently and win games against quality opponents, these almost wins really doesn’t count except in loss columns it’s kinda like we won by 1 or won by 40 it’s still a win. We loss by 1 or loss by 30-40 it’s still a loss

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:17 pm DAVE you can't argue with people that can't back up what they say with facts thats why i stopped coming to this site ,its mostly hate ,grudge or yes i will say it racism and or other things .........im strictly talking about this site and NOT this thread or the people that has posted.

We all know without pfloyd and his rankings SEOPS would most likely not exist, I love Matt and the hard work he puts behind this site but im just being honest
What a post.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:48 pm I’ll eat my shoe on FB live if Portsmouth wins 10 games this year
Hahahaha! 💀

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Racism? I must not be reading those threads.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

This thread has the chance to go down as one of the funniest threads of all time

**Serious complaining about a ranking

**Later ranking system tied to racism and grudges

Hopefully, some more Portsmouth posters get on to complain about this

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Another comical statement

SEOPS wouldn't exist without pfloyd or the ranking system

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Views are picking up Pfloyd!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

If more people would wear their masks then Portsmouth would be ranked a lot higher

Return to “Boys Basketball”