SEOP

Re: Logan Elm pauses all extra-curricular activities immediately

Post by mlittle »

So stupid

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Another School Not Following the Science: Science continues to say this virus does not affect this age hardly at all. Protect the elderly (isolate and don't visit)and the vulnerable with underlying conditions and allow the rest of the people to live their lives! "Oh, Johnny may take this home to his grandparents." I get that as well, so make accommodations and allow the family to decide what they can or cannot do. If there is no choice then that player may have to sit out. It's basic common sense.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Common Sense? There is NONE is society today.
They scared everybody in March and it continues.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

I think it's important to realize that every school district is doing what they feel is the right move. We have never been faced with something like this and ultimately, if the school feels that pausing extra curriculars is the best way to keep our students safe, I applaud them for making such a tough decision. I don't think this has anything to do with power or control...It's just a lot of uncertainty. I love high school sports and I HATE not being able to attend games regularly, but I understand the thought and consideration that goes into making this call. I'm certain it was done with careful evaluation.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Realist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 am I think it's important to realize that every school district is doing what they feel is the right move. We have never been faced with something like this and ultimately, if the school feels that pausing extra curriculars is the best way to keep our students safe, I applaud them for making such a tough decision. I don't think this has anything to do with power or control...It's just a lot of uncertainty. I love high school sports and I HATE not being able to attend games regularly, but I understand the thought and consideration that goes into making this call. I'm certain it was done with careful evaluation.
What students have been affected by the virus? Our school has been going live 5 days a week since the start of school. The people who are making decisions to shut down schools are NOT making thought out, educated decisions.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Students are in very little danger. Period.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

So what's your reasoning as to why schools are deciding to shut things down for a bit? Do you think there is some conspiracy out there that the schools don't want their athletes to compete?

There is so much unknown about a virus that hasn't even been around for a year! We don't know what this thing can really do based off 10 months of info. Doctors and health officials are doing non stop research to provide us with the best *up to date* info, but it literally changes every day. I'm not saying I am happy about sports not getting played, I'm just saying, I get it.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Realist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am So what's your reasoning as to why schools are deciding to shut things down for a bit? Do you think there is some conspiracy out there that the schools don't want their athletes to compete?

There is so much unknown about a virus that hasn't even been around for a year! We don't know what this thing can really do based off 10 months of info. Doctors and health officials are doing non stop research to provide us with the best *up to date* info, but it literally changes every day. I'm not saying I am happy about sports not getting played, I'm just saying, I get it.
There seems to be the thought that sports are the spread of the virus amongst youths, but there is no evidence of that. Health departments also claim that crowds can spread it, which is probably true, but why not just eliminate that factor in this instead of taking away sports?

Also, I can’t imagine schools playing against one another is any more of a chance to spread the virus then these kids eating lunch next to each other without masks on.

I’m less upset over LE doing this because at least they aren’t in session for school. Eliminating extracurricular activities while staying in class would be counterproductive to the mental health of all of the kids (not just sports, but other activities as well).

I also mention mental health, because with suicide rates rising, we should be doing everything we can to protect kids in that aspect. I went years without getting help for depression and part of it was because activities brought me serotonin and kept me level. When I stopped coaching and playing sports, things snowballed in a hurry and that’s my concern for kids in all walks of life.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Realist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am So what's your reasoning as to why schools are deciding to shut things down for a bit? Do you think there is some conspiracy out there that the schools don't want their athletes to compete?

No I don’t think there is a conspiracy against the students. I believe the schools are more worried about covering their own asses than they are what’s actually the best thing for the kids when you consider ALL aspects of what the virus is destroying.

We teach our kids daily that doing the right thing isn’t always the easiest thing but then we make decisions based on what’s best for SCHOOLS and not for the kids. I commend the schools who are in session with sports being played who are doing what they can to not only protect them physically but also mentally. KIDS NEED SCHOOL, KIDS NEED SPORTS.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 am

No I don’t think there is a conspiracy against the students. I believe the schools are more worried about covering their own asses than they are what’s actually the best thing for the kids when you consider ALL aspects of what the virus is destroying.

We teach our kids daily that doing the right thing isn’t always the easiest thing but then we make decisions based on what’s best for SCHOOLS and not for the kids. I commend the schools who are in session with sports being played who are doing what they can to not only protect them physically but also mentally. KIDS NEED SCHOOL, KIDS NEED SPORTS.
It's tough when you don't have enough staff available to run the school. Of course people like you see that as selfish and doing what's best "for SCHOOLS and not for the kids." But if you want to blame someone blame the Governor and the Health Directors for all the quarantine bullshi# and preventing needed employees and students from attending.

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:43 am

It's tough when you don't have enough staff available to run the school. Of course people like you see that as selfish and doing what's best "for SCHOOLS and not for the kids." But if you want to blame someone blame the Governor and the Health Directors for all the quarantine bullshi# and preventing needed employees and students from attending.
I have no problem blaming the Governor and health directors but they put the decision on the districts and they still choose to ignore all data and mental health issues when shutting down schools

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:59 am

I have no problem blaming the Governor and health directors but they put the decision on the districts and they still choose to ignore all data and mental health issues when shutting down schools
You can't run a school with no employees. The school districts aren't ones forcing people to quarantine which means they can't go to work or to school. For instance, if you run 20 buses per day and 10 of your bus drivers are quarantined because they were in a building with someone who tested positive you can't run your buses. So keep blaming the school for "mental and health issues" but you're blaming the wrong people. Call your local health director and tell them to stop quarantining school employees if you really want to help.

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:13 pm

You can't run a school with no employees. The school districts aren't ones forcing people to quarantine which means they can't go to work or to school. For instance, if you run 20 buses per day and 10 of your bus drivers are quarantined because they were in a building with someone who tested positive you can't run your buses. So keep blaming the school for "mental and health issues" but you're blaming the wrong people. Call your local health director and tell them to stop quarantining school employees if you really want to help.
Unioto has been open since the first day of school 5 days a week. How are they doing it? And I never said I wanted to help. I only want to complain

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Unioto has been open since the first day of school 5 days a week. How are they doing it?
Must not have numerous people being forced to quarantine for 24 days at time like here in Athens County. Just be glad you're not dealing with the powers up here is all I can say.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

Update: Now the latest is if a game official tests positive all the other officials and both teams have to quarantine. FYI: that's not a school policy so don't blame the schools. :o

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Unioto has been open since the first day of school 5 days a week. How are they doing it?
Must not have numerous people being forced to quarantine for 24 days at time like here in Athens County. Just be glad you're not dealing with the powers up here is all I can say.
We’ve had our quarantine issues but you just have to work through it the best you can. I don’t have all the answers but shutting down schools and extra curriculum is not it

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm
koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:20 pm

We’ve had our quarantine issues but you just have to work through it the best you can. I don’t have all the answers but shutting down schools and extra curriculum is not it
Well, I'm sure if you have a business or were running a school and you didn't have enough employees to keep it running you'd have a different opinion. But maybe not. Maybe you would just leave kids in classrooms with no teachers. Or let the kids drive the busses. I'm sure you'd "work through it." :mrgreen:

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Is there a safer place for kids than having the structure of school and extra-curricular activities? I do understand schools having to go remote because of the lack of available subs.

Return to “Boys Basketball”