Bill Filed In Kentucky To Allow One Time Extra Year of HS Eligibility Due To Contagion

Omega
SEOPS H

Bill Filed In Kentucky To Allow One Time Extra Year of HS Eligibility Due To Contagion

Post by Omega »

From the Louisville Courier-Journal

A Kentucky Senate bill filed Tuesday would allow the state’s high school students – including athletes - to receive a fifth year of eligibility during the 2021-22 school year, “due to the COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on school operations and student learning.”

Co-sponsored by Max Wise and Rick Girdler, the bill would allow any student enrolled in a Kentucky public high school during the 2020-21 school year to request to use the 2021-22 school year “as a supplemental school year to retake or supplement the courses the student has already taken.”

Non-public schools also would be allowed to use 2021-22 as a supplemental year of learning.

“I really look at this as a bill of opportunity,” said Wise, who has a daughter, Grayson, and son, Jackson, who are athletes at Taylor County High School. “I look at it … as what COVID has brought to our young people of losing basically a year. It’s a year of education loss. It’s a year of opportunity loss.

Usually attempts to legislate perfectly "fair" outcomes, despite the best intentions, generally create unforseen consequences.
What are your thoughts?

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 376064001/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Re: Bill Filed In Kentucky To Allow One Time Extra Year of HS Eligibility Due To Contagion

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

lol. So all those holdbacks are going to be 21 when they graduate from HS.

Re: Bill Filed In Kentucky To Allow One Time Extra Year of HS Eligibility Due To Contagion

Post by formerfcfan »

The only positive outcome I can see in this would be possibly encouraging kids to consider taking on classes through their local JVS/career center/trade school or a slate of dual-credit programs that could theoretically save a student a semester of college tuition.

Not gonna lie, though, I am curious to see if this would extend to the Governor's Cup competition. In which case, go Russell Red Devils!

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Absurd!!!!!

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Absurd!!!!!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Heres your starting lineup for the [insert team]
A 6’3 second year senior blah blah

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 am Heres your starting lineup for the [insert team]
Wheelersburg

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

This from a state where you can
play varsity in basketball while in the 7th grade.

The Regulator
Riding the Bench

Post by The Regulator »

Dumb to even consider it. What about the junior that will get knock out of the opportunity to start and play his senior year. Are they going to allow him to come back for a 5th year.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

And politicians wonder why they are so hated! So many other things to fix and this is not one for them to be concerned with.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

I will say one thing, the education that kids are getting right now is not sufficient to prepare them for college or life. Kids are struggling. That's not a knock on the educational system itself, but just what's going on. Sports aside, if allowing kids who have went through this to repeat a grade may be the way to go.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

peake71 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:26 pm This from a state where you can
play varsity in basketball while in the 7th grade.
Beat me to it! Evidently, 6 years is not enough

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:07 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 am Heres your starting lineup for the [insert team]
Wheelersburg
Jealousy is the highest form of flattery

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

I dont see an issue with this as long as the 5th year seniors aren't required to attend high school so it doesn't interfere with normal life. Would of made more sense for Winter and Spring sports seniors last year though.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

knowledge wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 pm I dont see an issue with this as long as the 5th year seniors aren't required to attend high school so it doesn't interfere with normal life. Would of made more sense for Winter and Spring sports seniors last year though.
...the point of high school sports is activities being an extension of the education experience, yes? So stripping sports entirely from school would accomplish what?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:14 pm
knowledge wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 pm I dont see an issue with this as long as the 5th year seniors aren't required to attend high school so it doesn't interfere with normal life. Would of made more sense for Winter and Spring sports seniors last year though.
...the point of high school sports is activities being an extension of the education experience, yes? So stripping sports entirely from school would accomplish what?
It would accomplish seniors living during the pandemic a opportunity to experience a normal season, which is once in a lifetime, I'm not advocating this to be a yearly rule.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

so the incoming freshman or the current freshman (that lived during the pandemic also) ready to move up would stay on freshman or jv depending on how many second year seniors returned? This is also the state the does a coin flip to see who gets the ball to start the game...enough said.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am so the incoming freshman or the current freshman (that lived during the pandemic also) ready to move up would stay on freshman or jv depending on how many second year seniors returned? This is also the state the does a coin flip to see who gets the ball to start the game...enough said.
The amount of seniors who would actually do this would be very limited IMO, and general enrollment in Kentucky is lower with smaller schools as well which wouldn't impact freshman as much as one would imagine. For example, last season I had a 4.1 31 ACT kid with a full scholarship to the university of Kentucky, I doubt he stays around to play another season, but I sure would of had a good pitch lol.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am so the incoming freshman or the current freshman (that lived during the pandemic also) ready to move up would stay on freshman or jv depending on how many second year seniors returned? This is also the state the does a coin flip to see who gets the ball to start the game...enough said.
The rationale I got about the coin toss, was that most of the officials in the KHSAA are older and fall in the high-risk category and this prevents them from being huddled up close to the players. Take it for what it's worth.

Return to “Boys Basketball”