Offseason Rumblings

fanofsports740
Waterboy

Re: Offseason Rumblings

Post by fanofsports740 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:11 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:20 pm
NellyWooden wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:19 pm I think this situation provides a refreshing start for this young man. He, especially will be coached by a man who totally understands the game. Having said that, Mr. Collins will place this young man in the right position to utilize his obvious talent and skills. This is a move that helps the player and team in such a positive fashion. He will be on the floor 90% of the game, i saw him as a player that needs more consistant minutes for him to flow and be succesfull. Nice addition to any team, he will greatly benefit from the coaching staff at Portsmouth.
Minutes yes but playing center as a 6 foot player isn’t helping you

I could be wrong but the Bryant kid is 6,3 or 6, 4 , Im . Thinking he may play center ?
The cooper maxie kid from burg is supposedly transferring to portsmouth now too, not much experience but he’s 6foot 7 so i’d say he will play the center spot

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

The Burg era as we’ve known it is coming to an end in boys sports.Sad really. :cry:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The starting lineup for Portsmouth this summer since Sanderlin arrived:

Daryionne Bryant.......6-3 SR*
Donovan Carr............6-0 SR*
Kenny Sanderlin........6-1 JR
Drew Roe................5-9 SR*
Devin Lattimore........6-0 SO*

*denotes starter at PHS from last season

This lineup could change by the time the regular season starts, but it is probably unlikely. Sanderlin has been a very strong addition to the Trojans on several aspects.......he is in outstanding condition, can score inside or knock down the 3, aggressive on the boards, plays sticky defense, and is a total team player. His new teammates and coaching staff have given him a very warm welcome, and in such a short time Kenny has proven he is a perfect fit for what Coach Collins wants to do in the regular season........play fast and press full court or 3 quarters press. Portsmouth will play without a true 5 position. The Trojans will also have a much stronger bench than the last few years.

Portsmouth has produced 11 official 1,000 point scorers (one would think more than that but 50-60 years ago it was very difficult to make varsity as a sophomore when PHS was a much bigger school), 5 of those 1,000 point scorers have come under Coach Collins watch (Kyre Allison, Kendal Reynolds, Wayne Evans, Dion McKinley, and Matthew Fraulini). If you can put the ball in the basket, Coach Collins will not hold you back. I really think Kenny Sanderlin is in a good spot with the Trojans with his skill set and based on past results from the players listed, he will get every opportunity to have an outstanding career at PHS.

If the Maxie kid does indeed come, there's definitely a role for him given his size.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

The lack of logic by some of the recent posters on this thread is appalling. It's ok to be a fan of Portsmouth or to hate Wheelersburg, but the facts remain the same. Where to start, where to start...

NellyWooden - You said that Sanderlin is going to a place where he would be on the court 90% of the time and needed more consistent pt to reach his potential. You don't think he was going to get that at Burg over the next two years? You're comparing his court time as an UNDERCLASSMEN on a deep, talented, and very successful team to a Portsmouth team coming off what, 3 straight losing seasons and he'll be a junior also. Not an apples-to-apples comparison.

You also said that he would now be coached by a man who totally understands the game. Are you implying his previous coach didn't? Didn't Coach Collins return 4 starters last season? How did that play out? A few of the games I saw online I'm not sure he ever got off the bench. You also said it was a good decision by Sanderlin as a student-athlete? How is going from Wheelersburg to Portsmouth an improvement academically or athletically in any way with the current situations of both?

ItsMyOpinion - You said Sanderlin tested the waters and it didn't work out. By what measure? He was the only kid in his entire class to be a major piece on teams that won 2 league and sectional titles and a district title. He was a part-time starter and 6th man on a team that was deep 2 classes ahead of him. Seems quite successful personally and as a team to me. You said that he would benefit from Portsmouth's coaching staff as if he hasn't from Burg's. How would you assess the job they've done over the last few years?

A couple of other points. The Bryant kid was referred to by some as another addition. He is not. He has been there. He also was unhappy enough with the situation that he tried leaving. What does that say? How does the Maxie kid leaving hurt Burg? I believe he didn't even make the team there last year. Is that what it has come to that Portsmouth is needing kids that can't even make the team at Burg?

The Portsmouth posters are always overly optimistic prior to the season. With the way things have been, I guess I would try to be too. Some of you infamously thought they'd be much better last year also. Many of you have also been highly critical of the offensive struggles the past few years, but things are now magically better in that department I guess...

SWhite2002 - How do you figure that Burg will be middle to bottom of the pack next year? Did you project West as being near the top with Waverly? With losing 9 seniors, and much of their size what makes you sold on them? Interesting...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Kids come and go for many reasons, good luck to them where ever they go.

I always expect great seasons from my Trojans, some times it happens sometimes it doesn't lol.

I'm old ,so I've seen way more good basketball then bad lol....perks of being an old goat ,but I can proudly say I have NEVER set out one single season in 40 years ,not even when we won only 2 games......

GO TROJANS

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

socsportsfan1: Sanderlin came to Portsmouth for his own reasons. Why he did is his business and nobody else's.

You are right about Bryant.....he technically is not an addition. He started for PHS last season, left briefly, and came back. Why he did is his business and nobody else's.

I am an admitted optimist, and I was way off with my forecast of last year's Trojans and posted on this site my apology to pfloyd for my rant on his rankings. As you have said, we've had 3 straight losing seasons, but it's not a sin to be an optimist. How many posters get on this site with a highly negative forecast of their team? Virtually no one. One of the great things about the start of a season is that everybody, or most everybody, feels optimistic about their team.

Having watched my alma mater play in 6 state championship games, and with 80 winning seasons, it's understandable why I look forward to basketball season with a hint of optimism. The goal at Portsmouth, and Coach Collins recently said this in his instruction camp, is to get back to the state. It may or may not happen soon, but that's always the goal. Even with 3 straight losing seasons, Portsmouth under Coach Collins has still averaged 15 wins a year for his 12 years with 2 Final 4 appearances. He is the only coach at PHS to have gone to the Final 4 back to back years. He also is the last SE district coach to win a Final 4 game, that being a 74-66 win over Ottawa-Glandorf in 2012. Ottawa-Glandorf won the state title the very next year. In addition, Kyre Allison earned a D1 scholarship to Marshall under Collins tenure.

Any coach has to have some talent to be successful. Look at Scott Aronhalt at Zanesville, who just recently retired. ZHS has really struggled the last several years, posting some lopsided losing seasons. Yet, Aronhalt won a D1 state title in 1995 at ZHS, a state runnerup in 1997, and another Final 4 in 2010. He and Coach Collins didn't forget how to coach these last few years. They simply didn't have the talent to produce winning teams, but both have proven with some talent that they can win and win big.

You make some good points in your post, but the previous posts by the posters you called out are not totally void of logic.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 am The Burg era as we’ve known it is coming to an end in boys sports.Sad really. :cry:

That's probably the funniest post I've ever seen on here. Boys sports are coming to an end because one player is leaving Burg???

WTAF!!!!!!!

Losing Kenny will hurt them worse in football than basketball but as they say when someone leaves or gets hurt. Time for the next man up to shine.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Nope.All sports programs (boys) overall.Talking talent level.Hope I’m wrong except when they play Ironton.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Really???

Can you give me the lottery numbers for Friday while we're at it??

You're basing this off of what??

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

artisgilmore wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:52 pm It’s basketball.
I know honey

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 am The Burg era as we’ve known it is coming to an end in boys sports.Sad really. :cry:
Wishful thinking

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Please don’t call me Shirley or honey,sweetheart. :)

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm The lack of logic by some of the recent posters on this thread is appalling. It's ok to be a fan of Portsmouth or to hate Wheelersburg, but the facts remain the same. Where to start, where to start...

NellyWooden - You said that Sanderlin is going to a place where he would be on the court 90% of the time and needed more consistent pt to reach his potential. You don't think he was going to get that at Burg over the next two years? You're comparing his court time as an UNDERCLASSMEN on a deep, talented, and very successful team to a Portsmouth team coming off what, 3 straight losing seasons and he'll be a junior also. Not an apples-to-apples comparison.

You also said that he would now be coached by a man who totally understands the game. Are you implying his previous coach didn't? Didn't Coach Collins return 4 starters last season? How did that play out? A few of the games I saw online I'm not sure he ever got off the bench. You also said it was a good decision by Sanderlin as a student-athlete? How is going from Wheelersburg to Portsmouth an improvement academically or athletically in any way with the current situations of both?

ItsMyOpinion - You said Sanderlin tested the waters and it didn't work out. By what measure? He was the only kid in his entire class to be a major piece on teams that won 2 league and sectional titles and a district title. He was a part-time starter and 6th man on a team that was deep 2 classes ahead of him. Seems quite successful personally and as a team to me. You said that he would benefit from Portsmouth's coaching staff as if he hasn't from Burg's. How would you assess the job they've done over the last few years?

A couple of other points. The Bryant kid was referred to by some as another addition. He is not. He has been there. He also was unhappy enough with the situation that he tried leaving. What does that say? How does the Maxie kid leaving hurt Burg? I believe he didn't even make the team there last year. Is that what it has come to that Portsmouth is needing kids that can't even make the team at Burg?

The Portsmouth posters are always overly optimistic prior to the season. With the way things have been, I guess I would try to be too. Some of you infamously thought they'd be much better last year also. Many of you have also been highly critical of the offensive struggles the past few years, but things are now magically better in that department I guess...

SWhite2002 - How do you figure that Burg will be middle to bottom of the pack next year? Did you project West as being near the top with Waverly? With losing 9 seniors, and much of their size what makes you sold on them? Interesting...

This sounds like Swanker himself typed all this up. Burg to Ptown is NOT the move. And acting like Collins is a better coach than Ater.... Come on now.

The Burg Machine will not miss one little player.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm SWhite2002 - How do you figure that Burg will be middle to bottom of the pack next year? Did you project West as being near the top with Waverly? With losing 9 seniors, and much of their size what makes you sold on them? Interesting...
Friend of mine watched them scrimmage Notre Dame before the kid went back to Portsmouth and he told me he thinks they are better than last year and that they have the best player he saw all summer. And this is a guy that goes to a lot of games. What he told me and what I read on here, they lost a lot of seniors but really return at least 3 starters and the coach got a whole offseason this year

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:33 am This is a huge loss for Wheelersburg. He and Swords were the only returning players with experience

If they don’t bring anyone in they are looking at a middle to bottom of the league finish. When is the last time that happened?

Great players graduate or move out of the Burg school district every year yet Burg puts a top notch team on the floor every season.

I think its just wishful thinking by the masses on here that Burg finish in the middle or the bottom of the pack.

Burg will be fine. They had a very good JV team and if I remember correctly they had a pretty decent 8th grade team.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:55 pm socsportsfan1: Sanderlin came to Portsmouth for his own reasons. Why he did is his business and nobody else's.

You are right about Bryant.....he technically is not an addition. He started for PHS last season, left briefly, and came back. Why he did is his business and nobody else's.

I am an admitted optimist, and I was way off with my forecast of last year's Trojans and posted on this site my apology to pfloyd for my rant on his rankings. As you have said, we've had 3 straight losing seasons, but it's not a sin to be an optimist. How many posters get on this site with a highly negative forecast of their team? Virtually no one. One of the great things about the start of a season is that everybody, or most everybody, feels optimistic about their team.

Having watched my alma mater play in 6 state championship games, and with 80 winning seasons, it's understandable why I look forward to basketball season with a hint of optimism. The goal at Portsmouth, and Coach Collins recently said this in his instruction camp, is to get back to the state. It may or may not happen soon, but that's always the goal. Even with 3 straight losing seasons, Portsmouth under Coach Collins has still averaged 15 wins a year for his 12 years with 2 Final 4 appearances. He is the only coach at PHS to have gone to the Final 4 back to back years. He also is the last SE district coach to win a Final 4 game, that being a 74-66 win over Ottawa-Glandorf in 2012. Ottawa-Glandorf won the state title the very next year. In addition, Kyre Allison earned a D1 scholarship to Marshall under Collins tenure.

Any coach has to have some talent to be successful. Look at Scott Aronhalt at Zanesville, who just recently retired. ZHS has really struggled the last several years, posting some lopsided losing seasons. Yet, Aronhalt won a D1 state title in 1995 at ZHS, a state runnerup in 1997, and another Final 4 in 2010. He and Coach Collins didn't forget how to coach these last few years. They simply didn't have the talent to produce winning teams, but both have proven with some talent that they can win and win big.

You make some good points in your post, but the previous posts by the posters you called out are not totally void of logic.
trojandave, care to discuss any of the points that I actually brought up? You site a bunch of past information that is irrelevant to the current topic. Also, I have nothing against anyone being optimistic, but some don't let it cloud their judgement as much as others. I'd like to know what logic you found in the other posts on the topic.

SWHITE2002, so you're basing your projections off of a friend's summertime assessment from 1 scrimmage? Also, if he's saying that West has the best player he saw all summer then I'm really questioning who and how much basketball he actually watched this summer. The other coaches actually got a whole offseason as well. From what I watched, 2 major parts to their success was their overall length and ability to sub in a lot of bodies that played hard. They lose a lot in both of those areas.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Every Dave post ever : “back in 1797, the Alexandria Pilgrims, now the Portsmouth Trojans, defeated the [insert irrelevant opponent]”.

🚨 🚨 🚨

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 am Every Dave post ever : “back in 1797, the Alexandria Pilgrims, now the Portsmouth Trojans, defeated the [insert irrelevant opponent]”.

🚨 🚨 🚨
Yes, but I bet he never sat down in poop and then posted about it on SEOPS. :D

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:52 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:33 am This is a huge loss for Wheelersburg. He and Swords were the only returning players with experience

If they don’t bring anyone in they are looking at a middle to bottom of the league finish. When is the last time that happened?

Great players graduate or move out of the Burg school district every year yet Burg puts a top notch team on the floor every season.

I think its just wishful thinking by the masses on here that Burg finish in the middle or the bottom of the pack.

Burg will be fine. They had a very good JV team and if I remember correctly they had a pretty decent 8th grade team.

Burg isn't going anywhere they will be fine their overall sports programs are always prepared.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:02 pm
socsportsfan1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm The lack of logic by some of the recent posters on this thread is appalling. It's ok to be a fan of Portsmouth or to hate Wheelersburg, but the facts remain the same. Where to start, where to start...

This sounds like Swanker himself typed all this up. Burg to Ptown is NOT the move. And acting like Collins is a better coach than Ater.... Come on now.

The Burg Machine will not miss one little player.

No way some fool from SW could come up with something like this.

Return to “Boys Basketball”