Newly Formed Twin State League

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Newly Formed Twin State League

Post by Picket Fence »

Charter members are Warren, Marietta, Point Pleasant (WV), and Marietta. I’m curious who else they are going to pick up. Gonna be a top heavy basketball conference with Fort Frye (most years) and Warren. Thoughts on the new league?

Local schools combine to form Twin State League

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/sports/l ... te-league/

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Newly Formed Twin State League

Post by Omega »

An arrangement of convenience for four orphaned high school athletic programs. We should wish all the schools well.

One question though, I thought I had read about a new Mid Ohio River Valley Conference not too long ago, with some of the same schools listed above. Did that fall through before it got started?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Point Pleasant is def. the Outlier. Not sure who else you could pull from this.. Maybe Athens but they are winning a lot in the TVC. Start pulling too many others then Travel becomes the main issue, See the last part of the SEOAL where teams from Zanesville and Chillicothe were involved.
It's a step in the right direction. I still think schools from other conferences should get together with schools of their size and discuss new leagues in my opinion.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I think they are trying to get some teams to be in multiple leagues. Kinda like Fort Frye use to be in the PVC and OVAC. I think Warren and Fort Frye will also stay OVAC members so they can participate in OVAC Tournaments.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Interesting to see if they try to get Parkersburg schools to join and stay in current leagues as well.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:15 am Interesting to see if they try to get Parkersburg schools to join and stay in current leagues as well.
Parkersburg South might entertain such a move but the Parkersburg Big Red see themselves as WV Blue Bloods, inexorably tied to the OVAC and MSAC.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

I would like to see Parkersburg South, Ripley (WV), Logan, and Meadowbrook all consider moving. Those are all very good athletic schools with excellent traveling fan bases and top notch facilities.

Fort Frye will greatly benefit. They will be the smallest school in a large school league. Watch out come tournament/playoff time. That’s why Belpre was so successful in the 90s/early 2000s in basketball. They played larger schools which prepared for the postseason.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

This is exciting news and a great opportunity for our athletes and communities.

As far as additions go right now the obvious choice is Ripley. As far as I know they don’t have a league. Not a bad trip from Washington County and would give Point a more southern school. Similar to Marietta and Warren in terms of size and competition. Our football series with them the past couple of seasons has been very competitive. As much as I would love to see the Parkersburg schools involved, I just don’t see it happening.

Outside of Ripley, there aren’t really any other viable candidates at this time. If the current schools can stick together and show stability, somewhere down the road that may change.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Omega wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:24 am [quote=EasternDspy post_id=<a href="tel:1985160">1985160</a> time=<a href="tel:1643894152">1643894152</a> user_id=51]
Interesting to see if they try to get Parkersburg schools to join and stay in current leagues as well.
Parkersburg South might entertain such a move but the Parkersburg Big Red see themselves as WV Blue Bloods, inexorably tied to the OVAC and MSAC.
[/quote]

parkersburg is not a member of the ovac, but south is

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wondering why Logan, who had been looking for a league affiliation for years, wasn't asked/invited ... funny thing - maybe it was intuition BUT throughout THIS basketball season I had NOTICED Point Pleasant playing MORE SEOhio schools than usual and I thought "maybe they are getting into one of the Ohio leagues AGAIN" - as they were part of the defunct SEOAL at one time - they had great concession stand food AND warmup music LOL ... congratulations to these schools - finding a good fit for each other , a great opportunity for their student athletes to compete and be rewarded with league honors ...

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Logan was invited. They just joined a central Ohio league. I wanna say the mid state league. They are not going to be very competitive in that league would of fit them much better. Thought Is you could maybe have Parkersburg teams stay in current leagues and still have some sort of scheduling alliance. These teams are having a hard time finding games. This gives them an opportunity of guaranteed games.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

You would think Morgan and Gallipolis would give it a look.
Maybe even River Valley if Gallipolis joined.
I am clueless about Gallipolis but you'd think Morgan would give it a real look.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Some MVL schools would be perfect but they are in a freeze for 10 years when they expanded. Wish this league could of got Cambridge and Meadowbrook.

redblue85
Freshman Team

Post by redblue85 »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:18 pm Some MVL schools would be perfect but they are in a freeze for 10 years when they expanded. Wish this league could of got Cambridge and Meadowbrook.
agreed would have been good for all sports and better compeition for fort in football

Tom Smyth
Waterboy

Post by Tom Smyth »

Logan would dominate that league much of the time. They'd be what Athens is to the TVC.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Tom Smyth wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:47 pm Logan would dominate that league much of the time. They'd be what Athens is to the TVC.
Get real.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:27 pm [quote="Tom Smyth" post_id=<a href="tel:1986583">1986583</a> time=<a href="tel:1644515273">1644515273</a> user_id=18797]
Logan would dominate that league much of the time. They'd be what Athens is to the TVC.
Get real.
[/quote]

logan couldn’t beat hannan

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

blackshooky wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:21 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:27 pm [quote="Tom Smyth" post_id=<a href="tel:1986583">1986583</a> time=<a href="tel:1644515273">1644515273</a> user_id=18797]
Get real.
logan couldn’t beat hannan
[/quote]

They did beat Athens lol.

I really don’t know much about Logan other sports. I know Fort beat them 49-14. It was like 42-7 at half.

Return to “Boys Basketball”