District Semi: Leesburg Fairfield vs Willow Wood Symmes Valley

torroeldorado
Waterboy

District Semi: Leesburg Fairfield vs Willow Wood Symmes Valley

Post by torroeldorado »

Thoughts? SV is higher seeded, but my guess is Fairfield will be favored is this matchup?
Last edited by torroeldorado on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Re: District Semi: Leesburg Fairfield vs Willow Wood Symmes Valley

Post by transplant »

Not sure who I'd pick as the "favorite" honestly. I think it will be a good game.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

I have not seen Symmes Valley, but I have seen Fairfield. They are a disciplined, well coached team, who will shoot the lights out. They are infinitely patient on offense. This will be a great game I am sure!

riverRat52
Riding the Bench

Post by riverRat52 »

Symmes Valley is very athletic and can score in bunches, but can also be very turnover-prone and doesn't seem to be coached very well. Symmes Valley will need to play their most sound and disciplined game of the year.. should be a good game.

torroeldorado
Waterboy

Post by torroeldorado »

riverRat52 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:12 pm Symmes Valley is very athletic and can score in bunches, but can also be very turnover-prone and doesn't seem to be coached very well. Symmes Valley will need to play their most sound and disciplined game of the year.. should be a good game.
A team is 19-3 on the year and not coached very well? Can you elaborate on that a bit? Not bashing just curious. Are they that athletic?

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

torroeldorado wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:17 pm
riverRat52 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:12 pm Symmes Valley is very athletic and can score in bunches, but can also be very turnover-prone and doesn't seem to be coached very well. Symmes Valley will need to play their most sound and disciplined game of the year.. should be a good game.
A team is 19-3 on the year and not coached very well? Can you elaborate on that a bit? Not bashing just curious. Are they that athletic?
Not really that farfetched. Athens was just like that when they had Burrows, Watson, Lerhman's etc. and Alexander was this year, though not as good as those Athens teams were. So, yeah a team can be really good with lack of coaching. But it's pretty rare. They typically get beaten in the tournament though when the face a team that has a little talent and good coaching.

torroeldorado
Waterboy

Post by torroeldorado »

Pat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:46 pm
Not really that farfetched. Athens was just like that when they had Burrows, Watson, Lerhman's etc. and Alexander was this year, though not as good as those Athens teams were. So, yeah a team can be really good with lack of coaching. But it's pretty rare. They typically get beaten in the tournament though when the face a team that has a little talent and good coaching.
Gotcha, understood. I would imagine a team like that is a little hard to prepare for and a bit scary. I've not seen them, just seen some big numbers from them.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

torroeldorado wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:51 pm
Pat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:46 pm
Gotcha, understood. I would imagine a team like that is a little hard to prepare for and a bit scary. I've not seen them, just seen some big numbers from them.
I haven't seen SV at all. But keep in mind while Athens was doing that they were loaded with D1 athletes who were intelligent. An empty chair could have could have been the coach and they would have had the same record.

riverRat52
Riding the Bench

Post by riverRat52 »

Very athletic with decent size all but 1 starter over 6ft, but no one overly big. They can get out and run and put pressure on the defensive end. I've seen them struggle when a team goes zone, they never seem to know what to do and they aren't great perimeter shooters. They also have struggled to break the press if someone puts pressure on them. Also watched them completely botch leads a few times and totally mismanage the last few possessions in the loss against Western. But they have the talent and looked great against Manchester...even if it is Manchester. They will need to have it all put together Saturday, I imagine Fairfield will slow it down and make them play a disciplined game.

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

Symmes is a good team, but I look for a well disciplined and well coach fairfield team to give them fits. SV will have to limit turnovers in this one to win the ball game. If SV gets the ball in the post early and often, I look for them to win the ball game. PAT said it best, a well coached less talented team can upset a team that may have more talent but NO discipline. Hope the Vikings can pull this one out.

go48
Riding the Bench

Post by go48 »

Fairfields 5 losses. Twice to Eastern Brown, Fairland, Lucasville Valley, and a state ranked Cedarville team. They will be ready to play on Saturday night!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

go48 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:36 pm Fairfields 5 losses. Twice to Eastern Brown, Fairland, Lucasville Valley, and a state ranked Cedarville team. They will be ready to play on Saturday night!
Without a starter vs Cedarville if I recall

go48
Riding the Bench

Post by go48 »

Yes without a starter.

go48
Riding the Bench

Post by go48 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm
go48 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:36 pm Fairfields 5 losses. Twice to Eastern Brown, Fairland, Lucasville Valley, and a state ranked Cedarville team. They will be ready to play on Saturday night!
Without a starter vs Cedarville if I recall
Yes without a starter!

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

FF wins 63-49

Themaze76
Waterboy

Post by Themaze76 »

Did they also lose to Western by 15?

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Themaze76 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:29 pm [quote=go48 post_id=<a href="tel:1989468">1989468</a> time=<a href="tel:1645652219">1645652219</a> user_id=8887]
Fairfields 5 losses. Twice to Eastern Brown, Fairland, Lucasville Valley, and a state ranked Cedarville team. They will be ready to play on Saturday night!
Did they also lose to Western by 15?
[/quote]

Lost by 17 or so in a foundation game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

At what point in the district tournament do we stop comparing scores of scrimmages, summer and foundation games?

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Symmes Valley is really good and I think they take this one easily. Symmes 82-60

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vik wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:40 pm Symmes Valley is really good and I think they take this one easily. Symmes 82-60
So the over/under at 142 and Symmes Valley 22 point favorites

I’d like to put a few $ on those numbers.

Return to “Boys Basketball”