District Championship …Trimble vs Western. Updates

Gray Cat
Varsity

Re: District Championship …Trimble vs Western

Post by Gray Cat »

Ballfan20 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 am Crockwell and Federal Hocking were supposed to be “too much” for Western too.
They weren’t. These boys aren’t gonna get beat up the floor by Trimble, they also have good senior guards who handle the ball well, and every player that starts and comes off the bench can knock down the 3.
Also Carter in the paint is strong, doesn’t get moved out of the way easily and will take the charge every time.
You prolly don't know it, but our bigs don't get charge calls on them. Howie coaches them up and they either get an easy shot or a block call on the defense. After hitting their backs several times as well as a foul called on them most players either give up or foul out. Either way, our bigs dominate games. One player will be at a huge disadvantage against our two. Gonna be a long night for the W it looks like.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I will be pulling for Western as a local team in this game. I know they are not a SVC school for Doug Williams is a SVC guy so he gets my vote. Doug is a Piketon grad so my loyalty goes to him. I think this should be a great game. I think Western has been playing better basketball than Trimble in the past couple weeks but Trimble is capable of turning it on. Trimble will have to get back to pressuring the ball and getting the ball out in transition. No prediction here just hoping for a great game.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

It is interesting I have heard people talking about Western's strength of schedule going into Fed. Hock. and this game. Western having wins early with Piketon, Paint Valley, and Ripley (all games that weren't close) should quiet some of that. I know this is irrelevant come tourney time though. Its about who peaks at the right time and I think you can argue Western is playing their best basketball, I'm not sure you can say the same about Trimble. Western made some very big winning plays against Fed. Hocking and showed they were more consistent team down the stretch. Coaching isn't an issue for the Indians either, Doug Williams is an elite coach in the area and two assistants were staff on the 2016 District Championship team. Howie's record stands for itself but I predict Howie will be stomping all over Wellston's floor as he watches the Indians take down his Tomcats.

WESTERN 58-53

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

bobcats94 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 am It is interesting I have heard people talking about Western's strength of schedule going into Fed. Hock. and this game. Western having wins early with Piketon, Paint Valley, and Ripley (all games that weren't close) should quiet some of that. I know this is irrelevant come tourney time though. Its about who peaks at the right time and I think you can argue Western is playing their best basketball, I'm not sure you can say the same about Trimble. Western made some very big winning plays against Fed. Hocking and showed they were more consistent team down the stretch. Coaching isn't an issue for the Indians either, Doug Williams is an elite coach in the area and two assistants were staff on the 2016 District Championship team. Howie's record stands for itself but I predict Howie will be stomping all over Wellston's floor as he watches the Indians take down his Tomcats.

WESTERN 58-53
Howie will surely be stomping, for that is his trademark. The Western fans as they are losing, will be screaming, "get him off the court," to no avail as the refs like always will ignore their pleas. Then after the Cats win the game they will be on here posting about how all the refs are "scared of Howie." It will be onto the regional for the Cats.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I'll try to tune in to this one, as a neutral fan. Not sure who i'd predict to win. I think Western will try to press and turn the game into a track meet. When I saw Western before, they play sloppy at times. They can't have runs of empty possessions, if they get the turnovers, they need to score. Trimble will be physical. Western did try to draw some charges in the game I saw, so depending on how that goes, could be a difference maker. Should be a good game.

Dlightle72
Waterboy

Post by Dlightle72 »

The big kid from Tremble is going to get his that’s a given . Coach Williams will have a good game plan to compete with him but try to control the rest of the team.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bobcats94 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 am It is interesting I have heard people talking about Western's strength of schedule going into Fed. Hock. and this game. Western having wins early with Piketon, Paint Valley, and Ripley (all games that weren't close) should quiet some of that. I know this is irrelevant come tourney time though. Its about who peaks at the right time and I think you can argue Western is playing their best basketball, I'm not sure you can say the same about Trimble. Western made some very big winning plays against Fed. Hocking and showed they were more consistent team down the stretch. Coaching isn't an issue for the Indians either, Doug Williams is an elite coach in the area and two assistants were staff on the 2016 District Championship team. Howie's record stands for itself but I predict Howie will be stomping all over Wellston's floor as he watches the Indians take down his Tomcats.

WESTERN 58-53
3 assistants on 16 DC team. Every coach played for 20+ win teams and have been part of about 10 games at the convo. Not bad for a bunch of guys under 40.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 pm

WESTERN 58-53
3 assistants on 16 DC team. Every coach played for 20+ win teams and have been part of about 10 games at the convo. Not bad for a bunch of guys under 40.
Plus their principal played in triple A for the Phillies

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

transplant wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:46 am I'll try to tune in to this one, as a neutral fan. Not sure who i'd predict to win. I think Western will try to press and turn the game into a track meet. When I saw Western before, they play sloppy at times. They can't have runs of empty possessions, if they get the turnovers, they need to score. Trimble will be physical. Western did try to draw some charges in the game I saw, so depending on how that goes, could be a difference maker. Should be a good game.
10 turnovers a game. 35% from 3. 70% from the line.

Carter has drawn 20 charges at center.

Western averages 9.5 free throws attempted against them which I find impressive since they press nearly the entire game.

20+ ppg winning margin. 8th in D4 in the state
38 ppg allowed. 8th in D4 in the state.

Trimble and Western strength of schedule is almost identical according to Martin RPI.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:17 pm

WESTERN 58-53
She did?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 pm

She did?
High school principal ….big time 2nd baseman

Roy Mcavoy
Freshman Team

Post by Roy Mcavoy »

Should be a good ole good one

Greatest 12 in US Open History
Ty.Stephens1987
Waterboy

Post by Ty.Stephens1987 »

WESTERN 58-53
Can't believe you are bringing up my playing career Ironman lol. Hopefully we can meet up Friday evening. Popcorn is on me.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Dlightle72 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:45 pm The big kid from Tremble is going to get his that’s a given . Coach Williams will have a good game plan to compete with him but try to control the rest of the team.
See, thats' the thing, we have two "big kids." Try to stop one and get killed by the other. BTW its' Trimble. :o

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:17 pm
transplant wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:46 am I'll try to tune in to this one, as a neutral fan. Not sure who i'd predict to win. I think Western will try to press and turn the game into a track meet. When I saw Western before, they play sloppy at times. They can't have runs of empty possessions, if they get the turnovers, they need to score. Trimble will be physical. Western did try to draw some charges in the game I saw, so depending on how that goes, could be a difference maker. Should be a good game.
10 turnovers a game. 35% from 3. 70% from the line.

Carter has drawn 20 charges at center.

Western averages 9.5 free throws attempted against them which I find impressive since they press nearly the entire game.

20+ ppg winning margin. 8th in D4 in the state
38 ppg allowed. 8th in D4 in the state.

Trimble and Western strength of schedule is almost identical according to Martin RPI.
That center would be well advised to not try to draw a charge against our Bigs. Alls that will get him is foul trouble and a sore back from hitting the floor. Meanwhile our Bigs will be scoring and getting getting plenty of and-ones. If that's their strategy this game won't be close.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

If Weber is still hurt I actually think Western is a slight favorite here. They need him especially on the defensive end.

Both squads fully healthy I like Trimble in a close one..... but they haven't looked too good in their first 2 games against teams that Western is clearly better then. Howie has his work cut out for him.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Brokeboy 2323
Waterboy

Post by Brokeboy 2323 »

Western is going to state led by Sean Kerns

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ty.Stephens1987 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:14 am

Can't believe you are bringing up my playing career Ironman lol. Hopefully we can meet up Friday evening. Popcorn is on me.
My Ironmen are also in the district finals so I’ll be at Southeastern.

Brokeboy 2323
Waterboy

Post by Brokeboy 2323 »

I mean come on Sean is shooting 22.2 percent from three that’s good

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:36 am If Weber is still hurt I actually think Western is a slight favorite here. They need him especially on the defensive end.

Both squads fully healthy I like Trimble in a close one..... but they haven't looked too good in their first 2 games against teams that Western is clearly better then. Howie has his work cut out for him.
Brokeboy 2323 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:58 am Western is going to state led by Sean Kerns
We appreciate the bulletin board material guys. As if the Cats needed it, but thanks. :o

Return to “Boys Basketball”