D2 District Championship Waverly vs Jackson…. updates

Ironmen98
All State

Re: D2 District Championship Waverly vs Jackson

Post by Ironmen98 »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:25 am Jackson can not get behind-- if so-- go over--They will have to "SLOW IT DOWN"-- sounds easy but Waverly loves to run and gun. :D :D
You are correct , waverly is a HUGE favorite . Jackson has overachieved and is still playing while a lot are done 😀 😊. I’ll give Jackson a punchers chance due to their hard nosed play. Waverly should dominate.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Will be a great game. In my opinion, like someone said earlier, all the pressure is on Waverly. If I'm Jackson, I preach playing loose and relaxed. Sounds like they have the athletes to make Waverly work for each possession. Does Jackson have someone to play Robertson as "hot man," meaning as soon as he gives up the ball in the half court, deny him hard and make him work to get the ball back. I know its easier said than done, but easiest way to stop a good player is to not let them have the ball to begin with. Make him run off multiple screens to get a good look, make him catch the ball way off the 3 point line. When he does get the ball, have to send someone to help when he drives. Jackson also has to rebound the ball, cannot let Waverly have multiple chances. If Jackson does slow it down and try to limit Waverly's possessions, they cannot have long stretches of empty possessions. Do the little things, score off every out of bounds play under the basket, score on play out of timeouts, make free throws. If I am Waverly, just go play your game. Don't change everything you are doing. Role players need to know their role and be ready to make open shots and play solid defense. Be strong with the ball and disciplined on offense. Don't be in a hurry to get a shot off, work the ball, run the offense and get a great shot, don't settle for good shot just to get a shot off. Good luck to both teams, at least one local team will be advancing.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

transplant wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:04 pm Will be a great game. In my opinion, like someone said earlier, all the pressure is on Waverly. If I'm Jackson, I preach playing loose and relaxed. Sounds like they have the athletes to make Waverly work for each possession. Does Jackson have someone to play Robertson as "hot man," meaning as soon as he gives up the ball in the half court, deny him hard and make him work to get the ball back. I know its easier said than done, but easiest way to stop a good player is to not let them have the ball to begin with. Make him run off multiple screens to get a good look, make him catch the ball way off the 3 point line. When he does get the ball, have to send someone to help when he drives. Jackson also has to rebound the ball, cannot let Waverly have multiple chances. If Jackson does slow it down and try to limit Waverly's possessions, they cannot have long stretches of empty possessions. Do the little things, score off every out of bounds play under the basket, score on play out of timeouts, make free throws. If I am Waverly, just go play your game. Don't change everything you are doing. Role players need to know their role and be ready to make open shots and play solid defense. Be strong with the ball and disciplined on offense. Don't be in a hurry to get a shot off, work the ball, run the offense and get a great shot, don't settle for good shot just to get a shot off. Good luck to both teams, at least one local team will be advancing.
Woodard did this to Holbert in the 2nd half and did well. Will be much more difficult to halt Waverly’s offense as others will shoot the open shot. LE seemed very hesitant.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, make the "others" beat you, if Jackson can slow Robertson down some and the others hit open shots and Waverly still wins, then thats just the way it goes. I look for this to be a good game though.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

If Futhey and Stulley roll like they did against Warren Robertson will do what he does best, I look for some of the other guys for Waverly to get in tune this game as well. I think jackson has it close at halftime and Waverly takes it by double digits after it’s all said and done

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

This is a district championship game. Anyone who says it’ll be a complete blowout…. You are right! Jackson has no business being in this game. It won’t be close at any point in this game. Waverly could sit Robertson for 3 qtrs and still win by double digits. If I were Waverly I’d sit my starters for the first half and rest them for the regionals. Congrats to Waverly on a district championship

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:42 pm This is a district championship game. Anyone who says it’ll be a complete blowout…. You are right! Jackson has no business being in this game. It won’t be close at any point in this game. Waverly could sit Robertson for 3 qtrs and still win by double digits. If I were Waverly I’d sit my starters for the first half and rest them for the regionals. Congrats to Waverly on a district championship

Hopefully that made the bulletin board.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:41 pm
mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:42 pm This is a district championship game. Anyone who says it’ll be a complete blowout…. You are right! Jackson has no business being in this game. It won’t be close at any point in this game. Waverly could sit Robertson for 3 qtrs and still win by double digits. If I were Waverly I’d sit my starters for the first half and rest them for the regionals. Congrats to Waverly on a district championship

He’s not Waverly and loves getting people worked up, lol! It’s not bulletin board.

Dlightle72
Waterboy

Post by Dlightle72 »

I get a kick out of all the posters breaking down how to deny Tre the ball and help on “D” and double him . Lol ! The kid has been denied the ball and double teamed and played by very physical teams trying to wear him down. And and great coaches game plan to stop him. Lol! He averages 28 ppg still! Tre will get his that’s a given I hope teams focus totally on him cause he’s a better facilitator for his team then he is a scorer.Jackson is in this game because they deserve to be and have beat who was put in front of them I guarantee Travis isn’t overlooking them nor are the Tigers.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:53 pm

He’s not Waverly and loves getting people worked up, lol! It’s not bulletin board.
This is honestly how I feel. Not trying to get anyone worked up. I may have went a wee bit overboard with it but I don’t think Jackson stands a chance in this game and nobody should take this game seriously including the Waverly players.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Waverly wins. Score doesn’t matter.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly will not be overlooking this Jackson team…

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:46 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:53 pm

This is honestly how I feel. Not trying to get anyone worked up. I may have went a wee bit overboard with it but I don’t think Jackson stands a chance in this game and nobody should take this game seriously including the Waverly players.

We definitely know you are not taking this game seriously

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Dlightle72 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:38 pm I get a kick out of all the posters breaking down how to deny Tre the ball and help on “D” and double him . Lol ! The kid has been denied the ball and double teamed and played by very physical teams trying to wear him down. And and great coaches game plan to stop him. Lol! He averages 28 ppg still! Tre will get his that’s a given I hope teams focus totally on him cause he’s a better facilitator for his team then he is a scorer.Jackson is in this game because they deserve to be and have beat who was put in front of them I guarantee Travis isn’t overlooking them nor are the Tigers.

Any team that makes district play is capable. Waverly has struggled a bit with size and physical play inside. Waverly has struggled at times against a pressing zone.
Maybe Jackson will let Trey get his 28 while slowing the others. The only thing certain is that the fans will be entertained.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Omega wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:57 am
Dlightle72 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:38 pm I get a kick out of all the posters breaking down how to deny Tre the ball and help on “D” and double him . Lol ! The kid has been denied the ball and double teamed and played by very physical teams trying to wear him down. And and great coaches game plan to stop him. Lol! He averages 28 ppg still! Tre will get his that’s a given I hope teams focus totally on him cause he’s a better facilitator for his team then he is a scorer.Jackson is in this game because they deserve to be and have beat who was put in front of them I guarantee Travis isn’t overlooking them nor are the Tigers.

Any team that makes district play is capable. Waverly has struggled a bit with size and physical play inside. Waverly has struggled at times against a pressing zone.
Maybe Jackson will let Trey get his 28 while slowing the others. The only thing certain is that the fans will be entertained.
This game is like 1992 Mike Tyson fighting a 7th grade girl. If one person posts Jackson has a chance the thread should immediately be locked.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Looks like the game time has been changed from 6:30 to now a 7:00 tip off. Since the Sheridan-McClain game got moved to Saturday.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:06 am

This game is like 1992 Mike Tyson fighting a 7th grade girl. If one person posts Jackson has a chance the thread should immediately be locked.
Still mad about that whoopin Jackson gave you in basketball huh?
Would be football too but you only play much smaller teams . Yay!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am

I’m not upset about any high school games from years past. The basketball team that beat us beat a lot of teams those years from what I remember. And yes you’d have killed us in football too because we suck at football. I also have nothing against anyone from Jackson. I think they have a great coach and will more than likely have a great game plan for Waverly. I just don’t think any of it will matter.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:36 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:44 am

I’m not upset about any high school games from years past. The basketball team that beat us beat a lot of teams those years from what I remember. And yes you’d have killed us in football too because we suck at football. I also have nothing against anyone from Jackson. I think they have a great coach and will more than likely have a great game plan for Waverly. I just don’t think any of it will matter.
Agree on all and especially the football , would be like Tyson hitting a 7th grade girl.

Return to “Boys Basketball”