Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post Reply
radiodavel
Freshman Team
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by radiodavel »

Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2022 ... s-now-open


User avatar
NewEra
All Conference
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by NewEra »

Childs Play compared to what goes on in Kentucky.


trojandave
SEOP
Posts: 4290
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by trojandave »

Home grown teams are becoming much more rare, but the plus side of this transfer portal is that a team can get good in a hurry, and not wait for a great 7th grade group to get to the HS varsity. Of course some of those same 7th graders may be gone by the time they're freshmen.


Hoopie74
SEOP
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by Hoopie74 »

Terrible decision. My kids too good to play there!! So much for teamwork. It's been building for years. Kudos to teams that keep their kids thru their school years. Few and far between. Good coaches will be hard to keep now.


Pol pot
SE
Posts: 2049
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by Pol pot »

Ohio transfer laws are governed by the ORC, the OHSAA has very little they can do to regulate things. But as usual Stateline sports does a hack job. Please, offer a solution instead of piling on without knowing facts.


E High
All Conference
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by E High »

No solution. It’s done. OHSAA is becoming like the ncaa, anything goes. Sad, but it is what it is. Welcome to 2022-2023


NoseyRosey
Waterboy
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by NoseyRosey »

So maybe I am clueless but it looks really difficult for kids to transfer without sitting out looking at the guidelines. How in the heck do all these locals kids move around?


E High
All Conference
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by E High »

NoseyRosey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:26 am So maybe I am clueless but it looks really difficult for kids to transfer without sitting out looking at the guidelines. How in the heck do all these locals kids move around?
All you need is a Post Office box or rent an apartment for a year. Wink, wink


NoseyRosey
Waterboy
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by NoseyRosey »

E High wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:33 pm
NoseyRosey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:26 am So maybe I am clueless but it looks really difficult for kids to transfer without sitting out looking at the guidelines. How in the heck do all these locals kids move around?
All you need is a Post Office box or rent an apartment for a year. Wink, wink
OHSAA says they have to change voter registration, driver license, utilities, etc and have to live there? Do they uproot their lives like that or just rent the apartment or PO box?


E High
All Conference
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by E High »

NoseyRosey wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:52 am
E High wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:33 pm
NoseyRosey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:26 am So maybe I am clueless but it looks really difficult for kids to transfer without sitting out looking at the guidelines. How in the heck do all these locals kids move around?
All you need is a Post Office box or rent an apartment for a year. Wink, wink
OHSAA says they have to change voter registration, driver license, utilities, etc and have to live there? Do they uproot their lives like that or just rent the apartment or PO box?
Not completely sure about the rules, but it seams anyone who wants to transfer, does


OVCFan1
Riding the Bench
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:24 am

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by OVCFan1 »

Loopholes, loopholes and more loopholes.
1. Play the bully card. Pass go collect 200$ and go to the school of your choice.
2. You can actually claim homelessness - stay a day or two here, a day or two there, a day anywhere. Pick the school of your choice.
3. The latest- the private schools who can now offer free enrollment to to those from “underperforming schools” and there is a loophole within a loophole here. Say your kid wants to go to St. Joe but doesn’t attend Chesapeake, Rock Hill or South Point (the school kids who qualify to take advantage of the new program) no problem at all. Say you go to Coal Grove, you don’t qualify - right? It’s ok. Just enroll for 1 day at say South Point, stay the day, you now qualify to go to St. Joe…no sitting, no waiting 100% enrolled, 100% clear to play.

It’s loopholes people….loopholes


goindians42
Riding the Bench
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by goindians42 »

Do parents really think their kid is going to the pros? The Justice boys are two of the best players we have seen around here for years, they both did get to play over seas pro ball but neither of them broke into the NBA. They both worked for hours every day on their game. I don't see too many kids with a ball in their hand after practice these days. Stay in your hometown and be proud to represent your school


Hoopie74
SEOP
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by Hoopie74 »

goindians42 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:24 pm Do parents really think their kid is going to the pros? The Justice boys are two of the best players we have seen around here for years, they both did get to play over seas pro ball but neither of them broke into the NBA. They both worked for hours every day on their game. I don't see too many kids with a ball in their hand after practice these days. Stay in your hometown and be proud to represent your school
Totally 👍


greygoose
SEOP
Posts: 4682
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: Ohio’s High School Transfer Portal Is Now Open

Post by greygoose »

goindians42 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:24 pm Do parents really think their kid is going to the pros? The Justice boys are two of the best players we have seen around here for years, they both did get to play over seas pro ball but neither of them broke into the NBA. They both worked for hours every day on their game. I don't see too many kids with a ball in their hand after practice these days. Stay in your hometown and be proud to represent your school
Why?? That's that old school mentality, some kids want to go play with guys they're been playing AAU ball with and they've become friends. Some want to go where they have a better chance of winning, or increased playing time early on. Whatever their reason is behind it I don't think any of it is pro related.


Post Reply

Return to “Boys Basketball”