Re: Jackson vs Warren Local

Post by Ironman92 »

Turnovers everywhere

44-24

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Don't think I've ever seen so many missed wide-open layups....
44-24 after 3

Go Blue
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It’s ok to not be as good but dangit I need to see whoever threw away the ball to bust their tail back…no excuses

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

19-2 run for Warren.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Stadlman 16….he’s going to be a problem the next 2 years

Taylor with 9 will be too

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

53-28

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

53-33 final

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Jackson couldn't get anything going in the second half minus those first few possessions. They'll win some ball games this year and get better as the season goes along.

Go Blue
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tough one. Jackson has more trouble against teams that are sound defensive teams…then mix in Warren takes very few bad shots….and they are a step quicker. Tough go.

I thought at half with a better bounce or two we are down 1-2 points….we came out well in the 3rd and you could tell, one more bucket snd Maddox was calling a timeout….but Warren scored and never let them closer, then went on their big run.

Stadlman was very good and Taylor at 6’7 make a great sophomore combo. A large rotation played and some didn’t seem varsity ready….but they will be soon. Honestly I don’t think Warren is half as talented as Washington CH.

Jackson played hard in the half court and doing all the could on offense but couldn’t hardly get an open shot. A few open 3’s go in and things open up…but never happened and they were disciplined. Like I said…the rotation of kids were playing hard and doing their best BUT when the ball was thrown away or Warren got a fast break…the closer kids need to get back snd whoever threw the ball away better catch them. I didn’t see much of this outside of Charlie Woodard. There’s no time to put your head down, you gotta sprint back. Sometimes, on occasion you have to sprint in basketball.

It’s not an easy situation….none of those kids are used to losing much in anything. Most all of them all the way up in 2-3 different sports…they’ve won won won….and when they get it all together by working hard every practice and get it going and make strides….it’ll be very fulfilling for them because it wasn’t easy…they are the underdog and have to scrap….and it’ll be fun to watch as fans.

Can’t wait. Go Ironmen.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

On another front….I’ve sat behind the opposing bench for almost every home game since that gym was put in 18 years ago. I love watching the opposing coach and his staff and his players. Most coaches are good with their teams, some instill importance of small things (cleaning up trash, cheering on teammates)….some are there for show and provide an atmosphere for kids to talk back, jaw with the ref, curse, turn around to react to the fans….you see coaches get nervous in big moments and team loses composure and you see coaches that just never allow that to happen. Some coach the game, some work the refs instead….some are desperate with the refs (often assistants on this one)….some have a high entertainment level and some are highly immature like that of a boys club.

In my years observing…Maddox is at the top for me. Zero reactions or inappropriate behavior from the players. Definitely instills the small things. Their only senior?….he was on the bench a bunch and was the verbal cheerleader. Rarely addresses the officials and gives them leeway….but also does the same for his players. He knows his kids…quick to timeout with decent leads because momentum is huge and he refocuses them. Up 20 early in the 4th….player got trapped on offense and he calls a timeout…..then in timeout he gets them all in the huddle and asked every kid on the bench…”what are we in? What are we in?”….making sure up 20 that they are focused on the game. I loved that. Came out of locker room from half and mentioned 6 turnovers and 5 missed layups….first thing in 3rd Jackson scores 3 baskets and Warren missed 3 of the most uncontested layups you’ll see…I’d guess on the inside he wanted to do something incredibly violent lol….but didn’t show much on the outside…didn’t call timeouts to tell them what they already know…then they went on the game deciding run from there. Up 16 in middle of the 3rd during a Jackson timeout…he kept telling them “it’s 0-0, it’s 0-0. I imagine most coaches are good with the X’s and O’s but he has all the other pieces.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:09 pm On another front….I’ve sat behind the opposing bench for almost every home game since that gym was put in 18 years ago. I love watching the opposing coach and his staff and his players. Most coaches are good with their teams, some instill importance of small things (cleaning up trash, cheering on teammates)….some are there for show and provide an atmosphere for kids to talk back, jaw with the ref, curse, turn around to react to the fans….you see coaches get nervous in big moments and team loses composure and you see coaches that just never allow that to happen. Some coach the game, some work the refs instead….some are desperate with the refs (often assistants on this one)….some have a high entertainment level and some are highly immature like that of a boys club.

In my years observing…Maddox is at the top for me. Zero reactions or inappropriate behavior from the players. Definitely instills the small things. Their only senior?….he was on the bench a bunch and was the verbal cheerleader. Rarely addresses the officials and gives them leeway….but also does the same for his players. He knows his kids…quick to timeout with decent leads because momentum is huge and he refocuses them. Up 20 early in the 4th….player got trapped on offense and he calls a timeout…..then in timeout he gets them all in the huddle and asked every kid on the bench…”what are we in? What are we in?”….making sure up 20 that they are focused on the game. I loved that. Came out of locker room from half and mentioned 6 turnovers and 5 missed layups….first thing in 3rd Jackson scores 3 baskets and Warren missed 3 of the most uncontested layups you’ll see…I’d guess on the inside he wanted to do something incredibly violent lol….but didn’t show much on the outside…didn’t call timeouts to tell them what they already know…then they went on the game deciding run from there. Up 16 in middle of the 3rd during a Jackson timeout…he kept telling them “it’s 0-0, it’s 0-0. I imagine most coaches are good with the X’s and O’s but he has all the other pieces.
... you already know where I stand on Coach Maddox and his staff I92 ... from the time I watched his freshmen practices when he was the 9th grade coach at Logan, to assistant varsity, to his hire & tenure at Warren - he is simply the best at his craft - teacher of the game/coach ... throw in that he builds character, instills the right things in his players to make them quality men long after their playing days are over ... well said I92 ...

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:09 pm On another front….I’ve sat behind the opposing bench for almost every home game since that gym was put in 18 years ago. I love watching the opposing coach and his staff and his players. Most coaches are good with their teams, some instill importance of small things (cleaning up trash, cheering on teammates)….some are there for show and provide an atmosphere for kids to talk back, jaw with the ref, curse, turn around to react to the fans….you see coaches get nervous in big moments and team loses composure and you see coaches that just never allow that to happen. Some coach the game, some work the refs instead….some are desperate with the refs (often assistants on this one)….some have a high entertainment level and some are highly immature like that of a boys club.

good read

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
E High
All State

Post by E High »

Coach Maddox is a class act and an outstanding coach

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

Maddox is simply the best ACTIVE coach in SE Ohio. I personally don’t think there is someone close when it comes to game prep, knowing what his kids are capable of, encouraging the kids, disciplining the kids, in game adjustments, attracting good assistants, composure, and Xs&Os. The only deficiency I give him is skill development, but in SE Ohio, you can get away having one or or two solid basketball players paired with smart/tough kids that will listen.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Picket Fence wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:55 am Maddox is simply the best ACTIVE coach in SE Ohio. I personally don’t think there is someone close when it comes to game prep, knowing what his kids are capable of, encouraging the kids, disciplining the kids, in game adjustments, attracting good assistants, composure, and Xs&Os. The only deficiency I give him is skill development, but in SE Ohio, you can get away having one or or two solid basketball players paired with smart/tough kids that will listen.
Agree 100%. No comparison in SEO. Basically done the same things the same way his entire tenure. The game may change but fundamentals never will. And those fundamentals make a 10-20 pt per game difference, IMO. Smarter beats harder most times. The game, in general, is a shadow of what it once was.

Return to “Boys Basketball”