Tuesday 2/7 Games

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Re: Tuesday 2/7 Games

Post by Fan of the youth »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:42 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm Nobody had valley beating minford for the title this year
I think a lot of people, including myself, thought it could/would be a shared title between the two.

Now, I’ll also say…. As good as I thought Minford could be, they’re even better than that. They are for real, and undeniably the #1 team in SEO. After a few weeks it was pretty clear Minford was the best team….. but leading upto the season I thought Minford + Valley had near the same odds of winning it.
I also had it a tight race. I had no clue that Minford had two more sophomores that could hoop it up as well as they do. I am hoping Valley gets straight and I get to see a rematch.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm Nobody had valley beating minford for the title this year
I think a lot of people, including myself, thought it could/would be a shared title between the two.

Now, I’ll also say…. As good as I thought Minford could be, they’re even better than that. They are for real, and undeniably the #1 team in SEO. After a few weeks it was pretty clear Minford was the best team….. but leading upto the season I thought Minford + Valley had near the same odds of winning it.
Yeah, you’re not the only one at all. After we played both over the summer, I thought Minford had the higher ceiling, but also it was hard to bet against a team who returned 4 starters from the team Valley had last year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:47 pm

I also had it a tight race. I had no clue that Minford had two more sophomores that could hoop it up as well as they do. I am hoping Valley gets straight and I get to see a rematch.
Westfall is playing extremely well on offense right now, so that would likely be a tough Sectional Final matchup if it plays out that way.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

At the end of last year I had Valley third for this season it's on here somewhere and people made fun of me. Had Minford far ahead just because of their over-all toughness the SW bc of talent and incoming transfers then Valley burg close 3 and 4th.

You could see Valleys issues rearing their head at the end of last season if you watched body language or players .

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Dig up the preseason rankings and posts. A lot of people were picking Valley. I wasn't one of them, but there were many. That changed quickly, about 1 week in actually.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:49 pm

Westfall is playing extremely well on offense right now, so that would likely be a tough Sectional Final matchup if it plays out that way.
I don't think Westfall can stay in front of Montgomery and a couple others and if they go zone to many shooters on Minford for that to work. Westfall is a nice team but in a 7 game series they would not win more than 1 game.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

River 42 Shadyside 31 OVAC semi final
Monroe Central 61 Southern OVAC semi final

both play Saturday for title

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

oneoak wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 pm Oak Hill 50
Waverly 35
Is this the correct final score ?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:55 pm

I don't think Westfall can stay in front of Montgomery and a couple others and if they go zone to many shooters on Minford for that to work. Westfall is a nice team but in a 7 game series they would not win more than 1 game.
I’m talking about Valley. That would be the matchup in the Sectional Final

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 pm Warren 83
Cambridge 72
Final
Cambridge couldn't miss from 3, maybe had 13 or 14
JC, can you confirm coach is at 399?

Go Blue
Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:03 pm

Oh yes sorry it's past my bedtime

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:03 pm

Westfall will give the Indians all they can handle. The Indians need to get back to what made them a good team, sharing the ball. making the extra pass, and getting the high percentage shot. Things have looked forced I hope the natural flow returns.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Portsmouth won over Mars Hill, Ky tonight. I believe it was 68-53

That is career victory #200 for Coach Eugene Collins!

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Congratulations coach
I'm calling it bet he retires after this season.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:14 pm Portsmouth won over Mars Hill, Ky tonight. I believe it was 68-53

That is career victory #200 for Coach Eugene Collins!
Hats off to Coach Collins and the Trojans!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Just my opinion but valley last year when Bryce Stuart was in foul trouble or not in the game period wasnt anything too special and we all knew they weren’t going deeper on the bench this season. Not saying they’re not good but Minford to me was the clear favorite from the get go and then Valley/SW. unfortunately Webster still does Webster things and can’t beat the top of the league still. Burg nobody knew what was going to happen. Northwest has been right in there too.

Write it down now, Burg and Minford will split next year.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 pm Congratulations coach
I'm calling it bet he retires after this season.

I agree 100%

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Lynchburg 77- Hillsboro 55
Fairfield 64- McClain 42
Fayetteville 57- Batavia 45

#sports_is_life
Waterboy

Post by #sports_is_life »

Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:33 pm

Have you watched them? That would give you your answer if you had. Disjointed and struggle to score if they have to play in the half court.
Um yes and I'll timed Ts for throwing fits all sorts of issues. I'm just curious why it keeps happening and isn't being corrected. I had high hopes.

The constant flopping and complaining to the refs while not getting back is something new this year that is really hurting. Valley can be very good when they all play their game but things are different. The half court takes patience and it is not always there. Time is running out to get things corrected.
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon as well. It seems that Valley has gone away from the type of play that made them successful last year. They only lost 1 starter, but everything this year seems to be going through one player when there are certainly others capable. When they ebb and flow they are successful, but when they pull away a little bit, they start calling plays and that's when the opponents seem to climb back in. Four of the players will pass up open shots because the play call is for them to get the ball to one kid. This has hurt them in the stretch in tight games as 30 seconds click off the clock while trying to get the open three, when in 5-8 seconds there could have been a two. The end of the season is near and the tournament run doesn't look great for the Indians as long as they aren't playing team ball. The head coach needs to get control of this team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:57 pm
oneoak wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 pm Oak Hill 50
Waverly 35
Is this the correct final score ?
IT IS THE FINAL SCORE. I wasn't doubting oneoak, someone else had given me a different score. There are usually a few people from ( smurry ) Waverly that post their scores. but I didn't see anything tonight.

Return to “Boys Basketball”