Shot Clock?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Shot Clock?

Post by Crab's Brother »

Very rarely can you watch a full college game without some type of shot clock issue (not running, didn't reset, etc) where they don't have to go to a monitor. That is for games played in huge arenas, with TV cameras, with clocks ran by people that have been trained, and referees making $3,300+ a game.

But people want a shot clock for games officiated by teachers, salesmen, and accountants making $70 a night, in gyms that were wired for electricity in the 70's, with Jimmy from the hardware store coordinating the separate clock. Sure....What could go wrong?

If you don't want a team to stall, then come out and guard. Basketball is a game. Games have strategies. Don't like the other team's plan? Change it.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:23 pm Very rarely can you watch a full college game without some type of shot clock issue (not running, didn't reset, etc) where they don't have to go to a monitor. That is for games played in huge arenas, with TV cameras, with clocks ran by people that have been trained, and referees making $3,300+ a game.

But people want a shot clock for games officiated by teachers, salesmen, and accountants making $70 a night, in gyms that were wired for electricity in the 70's, with Jimmy from the hardware store coordinating the separate clock. Sure....What could go wrong?

If you don't want a team to stall, then come out and guard. Basketball is a game. Games have strategies. Don't like the other team's plan? Change it.
This is the best reasoning I have seen. I enjoy watching teams with different strategies play. And how the game can easily swing one way vs another all depending on the pace of the game. I watched Dover beat Morgantown 28 to 20 on Saturday It wasn’t because of stall ball but rather it was because Morgantown sat in a 2-3 zone and Dover just patiently worked the ball until they got the shot they wanted. It was great game to watch. And I’ve seen a lot of teams that should be taking notes of Dovers ability to work the ball so patiently without turning it over.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:23 pm Very rarely can you watch a full college game without some type of shot clock issue (not running, didn't reset, etc) where they don't have to go to a monitor. That is for games played in huge arenas, with TV cameras, with clocks ran by people that have been trained, and referees making $3,300+ a game.

100% agree. All options should be available. Do we think it wise when you have no option ,but ; to run with the harvest preps, or other loaded teams that yearly show up in the tournaments. If you can limit their shots,then you may have a chance to compete. If not,your missed rushed shot turns into their cherry picked layup.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Crab's Brother: I've seen plenty of teams come out and guard, as you say, but the other team has no intention of playing toward the basket. The pace of play shouldn't always be on the onus of the defense.

9 states currently have shot clocks......California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota, Rhode Island, Washington and Arizona. I would guess they have the same teachers and other working people that operate the shot clock.

The same could and should happen in Ohio.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

You couldn't of said it any better. If I'm a coach and the best chance of beating this time is to control the tempo and limit their offensive possessions then I'm going to run my offense and run my offense until I get what I want. Like you said, come out and guard. If you sit back and let teams do this then you are falling into their hands.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:02 pm I'm all for a 30 second shot clock. Actually, though, there aren't that many teams that employ the strategy of a full blown slowdown. Still, I think a 30 second clock still gives the underdog a chance to pull the upset.
30? I’d love a 10 second shot clock. That would play right into Howie’s game. Then we’d really run teams out of the gyms. Our tallest players are always 5’11 or under. That would take the advantage of those 6’4” and taller players away from them.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Ten seconds sounds about right. Then Howie could have the Cats use the press so that the other team could only shoot half court shots. Maybe we could just say teams only shoot from half court. We have kids who practice those shots all the time anyway. I could see us dominating in this style of play.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I loved watching college teams years ago holding the ball...How many High School teams could hold the ball....Hell, they can't hold it 45 seconds when they have a decent lead tying to run clock...lmao..I say bring the shot clock to High school....

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

Hoopster98 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:11 pm
You couldn't of said it any better. If I'm a coach and the best chance of beating this time is to control the tempo and limit their offensive possessions then I'm going to run my offense and run my offense until I get what I want. Like you said, come out and guard. If you sit back and let teams do this then you are falling into their hands.
We’re looking at this from the wrong perspective probably because most people on here are adults & many of whom have coached at some level. We should be thinking about this from a players perspective instead of the coach.

I would guess the vast majority of high school basketball players want to play at a faster pace & play the game similarly to how they see it played on TV.

I understand the strategy of holding the ball in certain situations of the game but what real skillset does that help develop in the kids? In my opinion adding the shot clock increases the number of possessions in the game, which increases the number of decisions players will have to make. Increasing these numbers will inevitably increase the players skill level.

Isn’t the purpose of high school sports to develop the skills of the athlete & provide an environment of learning that is enjoyable for the kids?

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I'm sure kids want to get up and down but this goes back to the TEAM concept. Would you rather get up and down to lose by 30 just because YOU like to RUN or would you rather be competitive and play a certain style in order to have a chance?

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Corner3 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 pm
We’re looking at this from the wrong perspective probably because most people on here are adults & many of whom have coached at some level. We should be thinking about this from a players perspective instead of the coach.

I would guess the vast majority of high school basketball players want to play at a faster pace & play the game similarly to how they see it played on TV.

I understand the strategy of holding the ball in certain situations of the game but what real skillset does that help develop in the kids? In my opinion adding the shot clock increases the number of possessions in the game, which increases the number of decisions players will have to make. Increasing these numbers will inevitably increase the players skill level.

Isn’t the purpose of high school sports to develop the skills of the athlete & provide an environment of learning that is enjoyable for the kids?
Ot i exposes that Team A isnt fast enough to play at a fast a pace as Team B. So tehn they make mopre mistakes nd get beat worse thanif they pulled the ball out and were more patient. Lets just let the world be ran by the teenagers. Whatever happened to the idea of them learning form the adults around them . You must be one of those guys that is ready to sign off on letting kids get Vaxxed with out parent permission.

Corner3
Riding the Bench

Post by Corner3 »

Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:16 pm
Ot i exposes that Team A isnt fast enough to play at a fast a pace as Team B. So tehn they make mopre mistakes nd get beat worse thanif they pulled the ball out and were more patient. Lets just let the world be ran by the teenagers. Whatever happened to the idea of them learning form the adults around them . You must be one of those guys that is ready to sign off on letting kids get Vaxxed with out parent permission.
Since when did we start celebrating losing by 10 instead of by 25? It’s a loss either way. Learn from it & get better.

At no point did i say anything about kids not learning from adults or coaches. It’ll be up to the coaches to teach the kids how to make reads out of a high ball screen or how to use a pindown screen to get open for shot. Aren’t those much more valuable skills than running 11 dribble handoffs & playing keep away for 90 seconds or whatever the case may be?

Lonesome Polecat
Freshman Team

Post by Lonesome Polecat »

Corner3 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:29 pm
Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:16 pm
Since when did we start celebrating losing by 10 instead of by 25? It’s a loss either way. Learn from it & get better.

At no point did i say anything about kids not learning from adults or coaches. It’ll be up to the coaches to teach the kids how to make reads out of a high ball screen or how to use a pindown screen to get open for shot. Aren’t those much more valuable skills than running 11 dribble handoffs & playing keep away for 90 seconds or whatever the case may be?

Maybe they celebrate losing in your town but we dont. Who says you will lose? Eliminating possessions lets you keep it close and then if things go your way you have set in place the chance to pull off the upset. Maybe you wouldnt understand that since it is highly unlikely you have ever had a jockstrap on .

The skills built would involve dribbling, good passing, playing good defense, and learning when to take a wide open shot. Its not like these kids dont learn skill when they are taught something alternative. Learn to try new things. Your momma has.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Corner3 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 pm

We will just have to agree to disagree. To me, high school sports are about teaching kids about life. And that sometimes you may not be better than the person across from you, but if you outwork and outsmart them, you can find a way to be successful.

slayter
Riding the Bench

Post by slayter »

No way. I don’t even like it in college. The way basketball is played today is not the way it was intended to be played. It isn’t even the same game. Won a lot of games back in the day scoring 20-30 points a game. Play killer defense, and when on offense move the ball until you get a layup. You wear a lot of teams down, beat teams who would otherwise out athlete you, and basically zero injuries. Wanna see more old school of anything

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

If individuals think that a shot clock would make the game better overall, they might be right. However, that’s a very slippery slope playing into teams that want to run and outpace the other opponent. That doesn’t always transition to a higher quality or brand of basketball.

If you want to look at how the current status and system works without the shot clock, look no further than Putnam County League in Ohio. They don’t always have the most athletic kids or the tallest but, their area represents a high level of pure basketball that does resort to possession and valuing the ball and shot selection. They have produced 37 times qualifying for the State Tournament from 9 schools and produced 6 State Championships. 1 for Fort Jennings in 2000, 1 Kalida in 1981, 1 for Miller City in 1950, and 3 for Ottawa-Glandorf in 2004, 2008, and 2013.
Though this style of basketball might seem antiquated to many, it still works when utilized properly. I view it as the same way a really good football team uses their running game time and time again to play keep away from the other team.
This County also produced the basketball coach with the most wins in OHSAA History in Richard Kortakrax with a record of 890-372.
If a shot clock was instituted across the board in Ohio, I could see a myriad of issues happening for years to come. For me, it’s basketball is still about valuing each possession, high percentage shots, efficiency, limiting turnovers and limiting offenses to one shot per possession defensively. If that means some teams only want it to be one possession a piece per quarter then so be it. I still enjoy seeing strategies utilized properly and quality coaching.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

NO CLOCK!!!! Its not a track meet-- I guess I like to watch good defense.

Coach_Cain
Waterboy

Post by Coach_Cain »

I've always been in favor of the idea of having a shot clock 4th quarter and OT only.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am No. Just no.

There is already enough bitching about officiating as it is. Adding this will make it worse.

Then you have to find someone to run the shot clock that has a clue. It is hard enough to find people skilled enough to run the clock.
Good point. Many schools have students or very young people running the clock/scoreboard and it’s a fiasco. Lots of schools don’t have qualified people keeping the books which is absurd. Worse yet some schools have coaches family manning the books or clock. Maybe coach’s brother could officiate too.

Defense is lost at the pro level. Why would high school want to simulate a failed plan. Additionally a team with limited subs would be hindered bc of the increased possessions, mainly in the potential foul department. Would open the door even more for open enrollment to affect the game by giving the team with more move ins better odds due to a deeper bench. We need to find ways to encourage homegrown kids winning the right way with hard work rather than tuck and run to assemble a deep but mediocre group. If we see scores frequently be super low then maybe but right now we have low scoring games and high scoring games. Next thing will be fantasy sports in high school then all rules will change to cater to the “action” similar to pro sports.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I say bring on the shot clock and play the game like the big boys do in college and the pro's. Also move the 3 point line to the college level... Surely the boys can go further back than the girls!!!!!! Looks like the girls are getting the short end of the 3 point line...urely the boys can move another foot back to match college. Same distance as girls is embarrassing... good lord...Let the Kido's as the snowflakes call them play big boy basketball. The pitchers mound in baseball is the same distance in HS as it is in college and pro's..Not sure on height of mound but distance is same. Play the dern game like its played higher up as close as is reasonable.....wiring in the seventies is funny as is nobody qualified to run a clock....Like it takes a brain surgeon to master getting through a high school game clock and officiating....

Return to “Boys Basketball”