Whs95fan
S

Re: FRIDAY 2/17 GAMES

Post by Whs95fan »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:23 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 pm
VetteMan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:36 pm Zane Trace - 72
Vinton County - 63
Debated driving down for this one but figured the Vikings might rest their starters.

They did not rest them...packed house...nice environment...good game
Nice, should be an easy win Wednesday

Go Blue
Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

a_c_m wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 pm New Boston Glenwood 56
Ironton St.Joe 50

OT
NBG got lucky. We’re ready for a deep tourney run. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us in the chip.

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:30 pm [media][/media]
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:21 pm Why was the building evacuated at the Minford/Portsmouth game?
I’m hearing that someone was shot, not sure if in gym but heard there was a shooting.
Was it a ref? That’s what’s been told.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Congrats to the mohawks

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Mark it down Swanker; Fenton will be the Head Varsity Boys Basketball Coach for the Jeeps next year. It appears he and Kreischer have kissed and made up.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

MattyIce wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:25 am Mark it down Swanker; Fenton will be the Head Varsity Boys Basketball Coach for the Jeeps next year. It appears he and Kreischer have kissed and made up.
Been saying this all year.

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:21 am
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:21 pm Why was the building evacuated at the Minford/Portsmouth game?
I’m hearing that someone was shot, not sure if in gym but heard there was a shooting.
Was it that Dog guy? Prolly laughing and shaking his head at someone. Hopefully not. There’s been some gawd awful reffing this year but no one should be shot over it.

I know, I was D1 fellas
Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

This goes back to the thread about fans being out of control. Apparently now it’s ok to shoot a ref if Jimmys team gets beat

*D1*
Freshman Team

Post by *D1* »

Farmer Yoder wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:41 am

This goes back to the thread about fans being out of control. Apparently now it’s ok to shoot a ref if Jimmys team gets beat
I knew that laughing at the fans was going to snap someone eventually. I hope Cleve’s okay. He’s an arrogant assz but doesn’t deserve to be shot.

I know, I was D1 fellas
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:49 am
MattyIce wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:25 am Mark it down Swanker; Fenton will be the Head Varsity Boys Basketball Coach for the Jeeps next year. It appears he and Kreischer have kissed and made up.
Been saying this all year.
Not holding my breath but 🤞

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Frequent Flyer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:15 am
a_c_m wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:50 pm New Boston Glenwood 56
Ironton St.Joe 50

OT
NBG got lucky. We’re ready for a deep tourney run. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us in the chip.
How do you figure that New Boston got lucky?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Metal detectors next ?🤔

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

The incident at Portsmouth had nothing to do with an official!!!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 am Metal detectors next ?🤔
This day and age it needs to be mandatory. Guns at schools are becoming more common. And the state should fund them somehow.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:36 am
Geronimo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 am Metal detectors next ?🤔
This day and age it needs to be mandatory. Guns at schools are becoming more common. And the state should fund them somehow.
The officials should be armed. As bad as they are these days they need the protection. Just getting to their vehicles after the games is dangerous enough to get hazard pay. If they’re going to continue to be bad they should be able to protect themselves.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... last nights' game between Portsmouth and Minford was an outstanding high school basketball game on the court ... sat with biggdowgg, trojandave and I talked daniC out of his corner of the gym after halftime to come join us (he was covering the game for SOSA) ... shortly after the start of the 3rd period - as the game played on ON the court, fans to my right began running down the side line toward the main exit/entrance area ... nothing on the PA directed anyone to evacuate or leave the gym - there were no shots fired in the gym, no fight taking place ... no one knew exactly why the fans ran/evacuated the gym other than the "scuttlebutt" in the gym ie. 2 people had guns, a person SAID they had a gun, etc. no official was shot, no official was attacked ... an older gentleman did get pushed down or fell in the rush of the crowd ... maybe it was because I didn't see, or hear anything other than the crowd rushing out on the Portsmouth stands side of the court where we were sitting in the cheap seats , or maybe it was "I" was there by myself - no Mrs. Floyd, no family with me to worry about - but I didn't move from my spot, as a group we sat and talked about how this kind of thing should never happen at a high school basketball game, how it plays into the "persona" of Portsmouth as a community ... Coach Shoemaker got on the PA, letting the Minford faithful know the players were fine - in the locker room - let them know where they could pickup "kids" if needed etc. ... I never felt threatened in the gym ... I'm good at reading the "scene" - must be the teacher in me ... or the 13 years of reading the faces/words of doctors/oncologists as they walked through the door at appointments ... I could read the body language, the faces , actions displayed by the people in charge .. it all added up to - this game means nothing, not a league game etc. the safety of the players. cheerleaders, students, fans was THE only consideration last night ... the game was declared a "no contest" ...

... I drove 2 hours to see a game, touch bases with "friends in hoops" that I hadn't seen for a while as our paths hadn't crossed in a gym during the regular season ... as I left Portsmouth to return home - it hit me ... What IF - there WERE guns? a fight breaking out in the gym among the crowd? the "What could have been" - but didn't - thoughts crossed my mind ... only then did I feel the situation to be a "scary" situation ... the potential for violence in a school setting - a basketball game ... my mind went to the thoughts/feelings of the parents of kids running around the gym, in the hallways, what they must have felt as fans started running... separated - as the kids went to the concession stand, the restrooms ... parents of the players, the cheerleaders courtside ... the panic they were feeling ... THIS type of situation should NEVER happen in what is thought to be a "safe place" for all in a community - our schools ... my mind went to how this happens in big city areas, that the school communities have become "used to" as this is the world we live in - no fans in the stands to watch games , games played in the mornings/afternoons instead of at night ... how THIS doesn't happen Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - but apparently "yes" it does - now ...

... the unfortunate situation at Portsmouth last night will add another "thought" to my mindset as I attend games in the post season ... do the powers that be in our schools/governments look at it as "well, that doesn't happen here" - but it could ... as a society do we only prepare for these things AFTER it happens or will we be proactive in making sure that WE make it harder for it TO HAPPEN ... so the "that doesn't happen here" is closer to a reality because we have made it harder TO HAPPEN HERE ... I don't have answers - metal detectors, searching of bags , etc - the only thing I know is that when WE do nothing, something WILL happen ... a situation like last night will not end with ONLY the game being called - a no contest ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:49 am ... last nights' game between Portsmouth and Minford was an outstanding high school basketball game on the court ... sat with biggdowgg, trojandave and I talked daniC out of his corner of the gym after halftime to come join us (he was covering the game for SOSA) ... shortly after the start of the 3rd period - the game be played ON the court, fans to my right began running down the side line toward the main exit/entrance area ... nothing on the PA directed anyone to evacuate or leave the gym - there were no shots fired in the gym, no fight taking place ... no one knew exactly why the fans ran/evacuated the gym other than the "scuttlebutt" in the gym ie. 2 people had guns, a person SAID they had a gun, etc. no official was shot, no official was attacked ... an older gentleman did get pushed down or fell in the rush of the crowd ... maybe it was because I didn't see, or hear anything other than the crowd rushing out on the Portsmouth stands side of the court where we were sitting in the cheap seats , or maybe it was "I" was there by myself - no Mrs. Floyd, no family with me to worry about - but I didn't move from my spot, as a group we sat and talked about how this kind of thing should never happen at a high school basketball game, how it plays into the "persona" of Portsmouth as a community ... Coach Shoemaker got on the PA, letting the MInford faithful know the players were fine - in the locker room - let them know where they could pickup "kids" if needed etc. ... I never felt threatened in the gym ... I'm good at reading the "scene" - must be the teacher in me ... or the 13 years for reading the faces/words of doctors/oncologists as they walked through the door at appointments ... I could read the body language, the faces , actions displayed by the people in charge .. it all added up to - this game means nothing, not a league game etc. the safety of the players. cheerleaders, students, fans was THE only consideration last night ... the game was declared a "no contest" ...

... I drove 2 hours to see a game, touch bases with "friends in hoops" that I hadn't seen for a while as our paths hadn't crossed in a gym during the regular season ... as I left Portsmouth to return home - it hit me ... What IF! - there WERE guns? a fight breaking out in the gym among the crowd? the "What could have been" - but didn't - thoughts crossed my mind ... only then did I feel the situation to be a "scary" situation ... the potential for violence in a school setting - a basketball game ... my mind went to the thoughts/feelings of the parents of kids running around the gym, in the hallways must have felt as fans started running... separated as the kids went to the concession stand, the restrooms ... parents of the players, the cheerleaders courtside ... the panic they were feeling ... THIS type of situation should NEVER happen in what is thought to be a "safe place" for all in a community - our schools ... my mind went to how this happens in big city areas, that the school communities have become "used to" as this is the world we live in - no fans in the stands to watch games , games played in the mornings/afternoons instead at night ... how THIS doesn't happen Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - but apparently "yes" it does - now ...

... the unfortunate situation at Portsmouth last night will add another "thought" to my mindset as I attend games in the post season ... do the powers that be in our schools/governments look at it as "well, that doesn't happen here" - but it could ... as a society do we only prepare for these things AFTER it happens or will we be proactive in making sure that WE make it harder for it TO HAPPEN ... so the "that doesn't happen here" is closer to a reality because we have made it harder TO HAPPEN HERE ... I don't have answers - metal detectors, searching of bags , etc - the only thing I know is that when WE do nothing, something WILL happen ... a situation like last night will not end with ONLY the game being called - a no contest ...
I love the first paragraph because it made me feel about how I used to trust news reporters to simply report what happened…not to embellish, exaggerate, lie, troll, hot take….just the news. Not going for the wild reactions luring the crazy far 15% of either side to their spiels.

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Whs95fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:52 pm
jcbigblue13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:23 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 pm
Debated driving down for this one but figured the Vikings might rest their starters.

They did not rest them...packed house...nice environment...good game
Nice, should be an easy win Wednesday
It will DEFINITELY not be easy that's for sure... Vinton is a very good team

Return to “Boys Basketball”